Dialects

richard51

Can be easy, can be hard.

When I learned French in school, the problems of masculine, feminine and plural hit rather hard.

When I then learned German, the three genders plus having nominative, accusative, genitive and dative became a real struggle that I never fully got to grips with. (and yes I know that for those who took the alternative course in latin, they had it worse). Fast forward near as damn it 30 years and I am shipped out to Germany. Got to get to grips with all these linguistic complications.

Well in spoken German, no I didn't.

The

der, die, das. die

den, die das, die

des, der, des, der

dem. der. dem, den

(hope I got that right - possibly not)

converted to

de, de, de, de

de, de, de, de

de, de, de, de

de, de, de, de

in the local dialect.

Mostly however dialects are a way of keeping outsiders excluded.

No. WB , I googled your quote and still haven't got a clue.

1 Was indeed Potteries:"can you kick a ball against a wall, head it back and burst it."

2. Geordie asking for the toilet as needing to go.

3.Occitan provencal: All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights. They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.

(Article 1 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights)

Harnster are they "has your father got a dickie bow"

"do you keep "........" ". Don't know what a'troshin means. (NB have now cheated and found it)

I remember going to a school friends house when I was a kid. His father started talking and even though I had lived in the area all my short life I hadn't a clue what he was saying. He was a coal miner as they existed then.

Richard51 - I wonder if you get as irritated as I do by the portrayal of the Potteries accent on TV ? Even if they're doing something by Arnold Bennet the best they can do is a sort of generic 'oop north' accent which is really wrong. I think the Potteries accent has a lot of charm.

Why, thank you Hoddy.

Not sure if its that charming when a local is behind you at a football match and loudly "encouraging" the players though.

Not sure it bothers me about oop north imitations. What does annoy me is that his most famous book is "Anna of the five towns". There are SIX towns. Grrr

I've never been to a football match although I do recall my dad and my uncle talking about 'Stanley from Hanley'.

Where I grew up we lived near the River Dove (rhymes with Hove). When I was eight we moved ten miles to a place where the river was called Dove as in the bird.

I was quite a big girl before I realised it was the same river.

Harnster are they "has your father got a dickie bow"

"do you keep "........" ". Don't know what a'troshin means. (NB have now cheated and found it)

Not a bad effort at decoding broad Norfolk!

1. I say old chap, has your father got a donkey? (dickie = donkey)

2. (Literally) Keep thrashing -(trosh means thrash)

As in the annual local shindig "The Tunstead Trosh"

http://tunsteadpc.norfolkparishes.gov.uk/2013/01/09/keep-a-troshin/

I was there for 20 years before moving to France, I had to do a language course when I was first there - taught by Dick Young from the boatyard!

How about this conversation, between two ladies?

Carmen F.T. Withers. We revving ching liffis. Jellike ching liffis? We F.N.B. Neffen roe smeal slightly wither tellion the kitser nawl. Yeckered calm strife rom work.

Theng Saula Syme butter monner diet. I fed a bitifer gairstrick stummick lightly. Spin plier nuppagenner bit. Arlga mauve rafter. Oliver bye tweet first.

Let stalk strine. Got the book! And Fraffly well Spoken. Genius.

Come and have tea with us,. We're having (dunno) do you like (ooh, is it chicken livers?) We haven't been having roast meals lately with the telly and the kids and all. You could come straight from work.

Thanks all the same but I'm on a diet.mive had a bit of a gastric stomach lately. It's been playing up again a bit. I'll come over after. I'll have a bite to eat first.