Some say old people are a burden .......

nomoss

.............. for living too long.

But will younger generations live as long, considering their dietary habits?

When I was at school, sweets were rationed at around 4 oz. per week, which varied occasionally, and I remember them being "de-rationed", finally, and an earlier attempt, which lasted for only 4 weeks before supplies ran out, and rationing was imposed again.

I remember fairly small, quite plain meals, and it was years before I even heard of a hamburger, let alone tasted one. I was persuaded to have one once by an offspring, but cannot really stomach them, and have not entered a hamburger chapel since.

We had a couple of slightly rotund characters at school, but no-one to match the size and circumference of some of today's pupils, and many adults continue to expand at amazing rates.

So do the authorities need to worry so much about the aging population?

Surely Billy Bunter was of our generation and before?

I really think it's a mistake to generalise about the dietary habits of a whole generation.

I have a friend (and he is far from unique) to whom most vegetables and fruit are anathema. He is 63. He would happily live on meat, baked beans, fish fingers and fried foods.

Another friend of a similar age won't eat any food with seasonings other than salt and pepper. She tends to go on cruises for holidays, to avoid "foreign food" and won't eat anything she doesn't instantly recognise.

Among my own children and their friends, there's a distinct trend towards home cooked, fresh foods, or at least towards knowing where food has come from, and eating clean, healthy food. A large number are vegetarian or vegan, most enjoy cooking from scratch and are competent, if not in some cases very good at it.

Of course, there are many obese people. I'd venture to suggest probably almost as many over 50 as under 30.

I have two sons. One cycles everywhere, has a 28" waist and eats and drinks pretty much what he likes. What he likes is preparing home cooked meals from the weekly organic veg box he gets delivered to his home.

The other has about a 36" waist, is a trained chef, works in the food industry and studied food science. As part of his university studies, he undertook a detailed anaylsis of his diet, subjected himself to other trials to determine his body type, and came home and announced that on paper, he's clinically obese. He also prepares all his meals from scratch, cooks at home, eats out occasionally, visits the gym on a regular basis, walks his dog twice daily and is a keen and frequent skateboarder.

As children, both my kids ate the same meals, snacks etc. There is no real rhyme or reason as to why they're so physically different, they just are. It's not all about dietary habits for everyone.

[quote user="NormanH"]
Surely Billy Bunter was of our generation and before?

[/quote]

Yes, but he was a character because he was different.

In the same way, I really don't think that individuals described by other posters are representative of the UK population at large.

But wasn't fatty BB fond of fatty foods ie :

Bunter was never famous for having cash. He also failed to appreciate the qualities of Virgilian verse, and, while others were delving into the Aeneid, he was invariably busy lining his stomach, sneaking biscuits from Coker’s study or scrounging from the form room. The tuck consisted of calorific cakes topped with marzipan, caramels, éclairs, meringues, jam-tarts and doughnuts, which today would be frowned on, if not outlawed, by the dental and health education police.

Quote taken from : https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/i-say-you-fellows-an-irishman-s-diary-on-billy-bunter-1.3215818

Edit: so not only was the fictional Billy B nicking biscuits etc but he was over-dosing on them .. but these were mostly sugar based confections .. hence an over-dose of sugar.

Poor guy.

[quote user="Hoddy"]I have a primary school class photo which proves that the only overweight children were the farmer's. They were taller than the rest of us too.[/quote]

How many children did the farmer have?

None of my ancestors within 3 generations were farmers, but I was by far the tallest kid in my primary school. Several local farmers' kids were quite scrawny.

I haven't grown much since, as I'm now only 193 cm, and quite plump, at 78.5 kg by my MT's scales.[:)]

[quote user="nomoss"]
[quote user="Hoddy"]I have a primary school class photo which proves that the only overweight children were the farmer's. They were taller than the rest of us too.[/quote]

How many children did the farmer have?

None of my ancestors within 3 generations were farmers, but I was by far the tallest kid in my primary school. Several local farmers' kids were quite scrawny.

I haven't grown much since, as I'm now only 193 cm, and quite plump, at 78.5 kg by my MT's scales.[:)]

[/quote]

That is NOT PLUMP, AT ALL!!!

If you were 98.5 maybe then a little plump, but your BMI is absolutely normal.

I did notice the smiley, but as I have a dysmorphic friend, who smiles a lot and yet is slender, I cannot help but wonder.

Strange thing is that when I was at my biggest, she always said that I was fine........ which actually I was, because I just was and have no illusions about size or any hangups about how big I am either.

Hubby (coming up to 80 so born during the war) rarely eats veg or salads, but loads of meat, potatoes and cakes, and guess what, almost as slim as a rake. And tall-ish, 5'10"-ish though now shrinking.  Meanwhile, moi, at 5'2" and almost 70, have had the arrival of the "menopausal" expansion down below whilst shoulders haven't changed one jot!  Even though I eat loads of veg and salad! 

C'est la vie!

It would be interesting to compare your cholesterol levels, fat deposits etc. You can be slim and unhealthy as well as being fat and healthy..which was part of my earlier point. Mr Betty and I passed each other going in opposite directions weight-wise a few years back. ?