Time for Britain to stop obsessing with the USA?

NormanH

Oops. Sorry Norman, I was unable to read the article your link led to. Clicked on it and I was immedialely subjected to a portrait of Polly Toynbee (must check the settings of my anti-virus software.) and immediately felt I'd lost the will to live and so therefore declined.

I would add, however, that if I were a BBC licence payer or shareholder in any of the commercial tv companies I would be enquiring as to how they justify the expenditure of the saturation coverage.

Yes, I agree. A great nation. I spent a great deal of my life there and have no regrets whatsoever.

I've quite liked Polly Toynbee's pieces in the past but I think she's way off the mark with this one.

Surely the point is that a lot of folk in the UK feel that the result of the US election will have big repercussions in the UK. Trump is Johnson's bestie. If Trump wins, the way will be clear for Johnson and Trump to press ahead with their unholy alliance where lies and fake news and corruption, chipping away at democracy, avoiding scrutiny carry on unchecked.

If Polly thinks Johnson will ever see the light and become a wise compassionate leader while his alter ego across the Atlantic is egging him on, she is deluded.

Hopefully a Biden victory will take the wind out of Johnson's sails and ultimately, lead to him losing power.

So what is Toynbee's point? She just seems to be saying "let's cosy up to Europe again because it's nicer than America". Well yes Polly, you're not the first person to say that but nobody is listening right now, and for as long as Trump and Johnson stay in power they never will.

EuroTr@sh wrote the following post at 06 Nov 2020 11:06:

I've quite liked Polly Toynbee's pieces in the past but I think she's way off the mark with this one.

So what is Toynbee's point? She just seems to be saying "let's cosy up to Europe again because it's nicer than America".

Perhaps the British people want the UK to be more like America .. faster food, cheaper food (never mind the quality, feel the quantity) and cheaper clothes, cheaper fuel .. cheaper everything. But I think they might object if they then dialled 999 to request an ambulance because they didn't feel well and were told to get their credit card out to pay for the trip before the ambulance will be sent.

EuroTr@sh wrote the following post at 06 Nov 2020 11:06:

Well yes Polly, you're not the first person to say that but nobody is listening right now, and for as long as Trump and Johnson stay in power they never will.

Hopefully Biden will manage to scrape in ; he'll survive the Trump attacks and barbs, survive the legal avalanche to try to deter him . . without causing him a heart attack. As you say that might well upskittle Johnson's plans enough .. though with his wealthy cohorts behind him I'm not sure about that.