Control Panel.....what Control Panel

CeeJay

I have read all the postings with great interest regarding the working of the new (?)Forum, I can not get any sight of the Control Panel either and have done all that is suggested.............Please can we have the old Forum back,  I don't like this one it is too complicated for a simple soul like me  and I am too old to start playing sillywhatsits!!!!!!!

I can't find Control Panel either.  If I go along the line as suggested, I have Active Topics and Popular Topics, but NO Control Panel.

Also when I look at the Forum from my computer at home, the user name of the posters is not there, it just says Forum Moderator etc, whereas if I use my computer at work, I see everyones' user names.  Can anyone explain this ?

Jenny

Me too!!  No Control Panel at all, have also tried all suggestions to no avail, I am now very bored with it all.  Does anyone have an answer.  I have Windows XP and Norton 2004.  I, too, think the previous version was much more user friendly, and I am not averse to change, for the better, that is!!

Milly

You have to be Logged-In for the Control Panel to appear.

I prefer the old layout - by using the outline of the thread you could actually follow arguments/discussions. Now you have to read every post to see whether or not it is relevent, and it is easier for people to hi-jack discussions - look at some of the nerdish discussions on football ...

[quote]You have to be Logged-In for the Control Panel to appear.I prefer the old layout - by using the outline of the thread you could actually follow arguments/discussions. Now you have to read every post t...[/quote]

Yep!!  I am logged-in, each time I visit, but still no Control Panel

Milly

Hi I've been banging on about this since the new forum has been running.  The forum software has not been fully tested using XP and IE 6.  We have identical pc's at home and the only thing which is different is some pc of 'foreign' (Sun) software which obviously conflicts with XP and IE6.

James/Will

I havent heard from you in a while - any plans with reference to my previous postings? Is this problem being addressed at all.  I gather James has been/still is(?) on holiday - do we have any news.

Thanks,

Deby

Its Norton Firewall. All my users who were experiencing this were running Norton, the latest version blocks the javascript dropdowns. Basically put this website into Norton Firewall's trusted sites and turning off its ad blocking for this domain.

We are trying to address this for the v3.5 release.

[quote]Hi I've been banging on about this since the new forum has been running. The forum software has not been fully tested using XP and IE 6. We have identical pc's at home and the only thing which is di...[/quote]

Deby,

You will see that Ryan Healey from the software developer is posting here now. I cannot do anything about it - I have access to some admin functions but get script errors on some of them. My main computer uses Norton/Win XP (French) and works mostly OK, though if I use an old laptop with Win ME and AVG I don't see smileys and many other functions. So I'm as much in the dark as anybody.

Hello Will,

Thanks for your response - much appreciated and I am sure you have been doing your best.  Reminds me of my old HP days when everyone thinks they have the solution but they don't really due to the fact that it is more than one problem and no one is centralising this.

To those that care and sit in the management seats and actually make decisions they need to remove the wood from the trees and 

List the problems

Quantify them

Group them

Give problems to two different teams (e.g. they;re then not limited to believing one problem exists because of one area of development)

Discuss them, offer solutions, propose solution, fix problem, TEST Solution and make everyone happy

Only problem I see there are probably 3 captains and one poor little indien to do all the donkey work!!

ps How much revenue does the LF Forum bring in - mmh!:?

Sorry I''ve been drinking red wine (again) and should go to bed really and worry less about the Forum!!!

Deby

Dear Ryan,

As you have bravely put yourself forward as a representative of the company tht provided the new Forum software, perhaps you could clarify the following questions:

Why is the new software far slower than the old version - we have broadband, but still sit waiting for pages to load.

Can the facility to display avatars, number of messages posted and the status of the member be switched off - this only seems to promote pointless postings.

Why does the software drop a connection without warning whilst a user is in the middle of composing a message - thereby losing the input.

Why does the software not automatically login to the Forum when you choose that option.

Can the invasive information at the bottom of the main screen regarding who is on-line at any moment be switched off.

I look forward to your constructive comments.

Kind regards,

Bob Clarke

[email protected]

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/grindoux

I am sooooooooooo excited

Suddenly, there it is.. Control Panel yippee!!!!  As I said previously, I am running Windows XP with Norton AV 2004, oh and I use AOL and Wanadoo as ISPs.

The only thing that I have done differently this evening, was to run a Computer Check Up courtesy of AOL, and then, as if by magic, there it is!!

I have also tried putting in a photo, let's see if that works too....

Thank you very much to anyone who may have made these changes

Milly

I have Windows 98, AVG, Norton Utilities Integrator. Haven't a clue what any of these mean though - I'm a user - that's as far as it goes.

I find the new forum extremely slow - usually around 25 seconds for a new page to load. I don't have that problem on other websites, didn't on the old forum and my daughter uses various other forums and says the pages load quickly. She usually has several windows open at once, too and I only usually have one open. Although with the slowness of this, I often switch to something else - say Word to type a quick letter, or to e.mail, to save the boredom while the page loads.

I do have control panel, but I only have smilies if post a new topic. Not seen anything about fonts.

I find it extremely tedious to go through all the postings to a) find where I got to last time and b) because if things go off at a tangent, they are gone and can't easily be pulled back. The "thread" of the actual thread has been totally lost. With the old system, if someone got side tracked, you could follow that line if it interested you. But if you weren't interested, you could follow another.

You could mark each individual topic as having been read, whereas here, they get marked as read, if you go back to the first page, and it marks all as read, even if you have only visited one topic.

If you ask for posts since last visit, you get topics which have been added to since previous visit and still have to go through them all to find where you had got to last time.

If you reply to a topic, then you lose the ability to see posts since last visit. If you then ask for posts since last visit, you get the posts that happened since you posted your new posting. Which usually means that there are none. This is because every time you post a new topic, the system thinks you have only just started your visit.

Another thing - if you post a reply to someone on say, page 1 of a topic, then to another on the 3rd page and so on, you could end up with several separate posts at the end of that topic. It looks too much. With the old system, you could reply directly to the person in a sub-thread and even if you made a few replys, the would be all over the place.

If I had visited this forum for the first time 2 weeks ago, I wouldn't have pursued it further after the first couple of visits (as was the case with TF). The only reason I have continued to visit LF since the format changed is because I would miss the community of people I have come to know and I keep hoping that if enough of us whinge, we will get the old forum back, or something that works as well as that did.

I still believe it has been changed due to pressure from outsiders - not from people who were regular visiters here.

Let's please have a flowing system again.

Thanks.

[quote]Well said, Jill, I support every word.[/quote]

The same me: can't see any Control Panel whatever I do. Appart from that I like the new forum, there are so much more possibilities, (like the spell check which just has appeared). And the script size etc.

Monika