Hunting with rabbits.

Boghound

Please explain, boggie!  How do you hunt with a rabbit?   Do you wait till it's hardened with rigor mortis and then hope to knock out a sanglier with it?   A sort of boomerang français.

My neighbour says he finds a gun much more effective, and you don't have to worry about its little paws either.

I've never heard of hunting with rabbits, but it sounds an excellent idea. For a start all the hunts in Britain now threatened with closure could swiftly train packs of rabbits instead of hounds. I am sure this would get round the hunt-banning legislation which, as I recall, refers only to "hunting with dogs"

The rabbits might have to be genetically modified to make them more agressive, fast, biddable and faithful to their master. They would probably look a lot like dogs after the necessary changes, but provided their DNA could be proved to be rabbit variety, hunts could surely not be prosecuted.

I must mention this possibility to the two retired Masters of Foxhounds who live within half an hour of me here in 62.

Well "SB & PM". I was going to post "Hunting with Dogs" but the flood of abuse from the Tree and Bunny Huggers was just not worth it. Sarcasm goes over their heads because it isn't taught at Grammar schools or Redbrick Universities. So it's beyond their collective reasoning.

Changing the subject completely . . . I actually saw a pheasant today.  Don't see many around here AT ALL!  The hunters don't seem to have cottoned on to the fact that if you shoot all the Mummies and Daddies one year, there are no babies the next ..

Also had my path crossed by THREE foxes in twenty minutes this morning.  Hope they weren't looking for my chickens.

NB Rabbits eat their own droppings. Never kiss a rabbit

That reminds me of a tip for chapped lips.

You go into the nearest field of cows lift up a tail and kiss its bottom.

Its not a cure but it does stop you licking your lips.

I do hope that the idea of packs of hunting rabbits never catches on as the drumming from their back legs will sound like the Zulu army at Rorkes Drift.

Weedon(53)

Rabbits are not the sweat little things they make themselves out to be.  I once ended up in hospital with a broken foot after being attacked by a rabbit. 

And another thing.  You won't believe this, but it is true ... they end up in the strangest places. 

I found a dead one on the roof a few years back. 

Last winter our Jack Russell was going absolutely berserk at the wall next to the laundry door.  This went on for two days.  We thought he had finally lost his marbles, but when I removed the plasterboard I found a rather dehydrated rabbit (fully grown) in the wall cavity.  Normally I'm not very sympathetic to rabbits as they eat our vegetables etc, but this one looked so sorry for itself that I took it outside and let it go free (by the pond)- with the dogs firmly locked in teh house.

In Russia lots of them spend the winter on peoples' heads - now ain't that the strangest thing.

On a slightly more serious note, how on earth are the police going to actually prosecute people for hunting with dogs, when they already ignore hare coursers which has been illegal for a long time.

A farmer friend always knows when the coursers are on his land but also knows that nothing will be done as the police do not have the manpower, and if they actually turn up the hare coursers would be off up the motorway in a flash, and then return in the night and set fire to something expensive.

I'm currently in the process of training a pack of hunting moles - bred to tunnel under the victim, leap to the surface and drag the prey below ground - so far they have failed to capture anything other than a dead worm and an old walnut.   I'm also toying with the idea of hawking with frelons but no matter what I do, I cannot get the little sods to return to the fist.   But the thought of vaste packs of hunting rabbits tearing across the Creuse scaring the hell out of all the Charolais is very frightening - and what would Richard Adams make of that - Frith only knows!

[quote]I'm currently in the process of training a pack of hunting moles - bred to tunnel under the victim, leap to the surface and drag the prey below ground - so far they have failed to capture anything oth...[/quote]

So you're to blame, for the increase in the amount of moles spending their holidays in the Vendee along with the rest of the French population. I think your training regime must be to hard for them and they just want a break. Also, have you trained them to wear gas-masks?

Last week on UK TV there was a program about the countries worst pets.  Number 4 turned out to be a large male rabbit with attitude, he would attack everything and anything including the families 2 fully grown male Boxer dogs.  Caught on video you could see the rabbit attacking the dogs by jumping on them and ripping at them with his teeth.  On one occasion the rabbit caught one of the dogs around its private parts and was hanging on to them with his teeth while scratching and clawing at the dogs underbelly.  In the end the programs advice was to have the rabbit castrated, this certainly helped to turn the rabbit into a semi docile creature but I for one would not want to go anywhere near it.

Diana

[quote]About a month ago I saw a Golden Pheasant - just walking about a field in Yorkshire (I was on a train at the time). I suppose it was an escapee, but it looked superb.NB Rabbits eat their own droppings...[/quote]

I'd forgotten that rabbits eat their own droppings. Do I remember rightly that it's because the rabbits appendix breaks down cellulous (as ours used to) but the appendix is after the nutrient absorbing part of the intestine, so it has to eat the droppings in order ingest the goodness? Apart from the fact that our appendix doesn't work, I think the concept of eating droppings is a good reason for me not wanting to be vegetarian! (This is not to say others shouldn't be if they so wish, I'm just using it as a very good reason for me not being one).