Insurance query

opas

I was always under the impression that it was obligatory in France to have house insurance. Our neighbour is having a few problems with her `studio` roof, I use the term loosely as it was origionaly a garage and she has turned the upper part into a flat which she rents out to a young couple, they are giving her a bit of greif because of leaks. Our roof terrace is about 8 ft higher than this roof and she insists that our finishing/edging bricks are causing the problem with dripping, don`t think she has taken into account her mature trees that overhang....but one digresses, today we returned home to find a man on her roof doing repairs on her property and `filling cracks` down OUR wall,when questioning our neighbour about him doing`repairs ` to our white walls with red sealant , which Mr O questioned her as to who will be painting it as we hadn`t requested the work and discussing insurance, our neighbour says she doesn`t have any. Have I dreamt this  or is House insurance obligatory?

I don't know whether it is obligitory or not if one owns one's home. I know that when my son started renting that he had to show an attestation from the insurers.

I have just deleted a lot that I have written about this. Take photos now. I just cannot believe the stupidity/ arrogance of some people, how dare they do anything to your property without permission.

Hi

As owners I don't think it is compulsory. Certainly when we had floods in 2002 many local people appeared to be uninsured.

My notaire only "strongly recommended" taking insurance before the completion date.

As a tenant it is part of the lease to take out insurance.

Obviously it is desirable for all because it includes 3rd party risks (tile falls off roof and kills someone, injury to artisans etc.).

For 1 property I have a landlords insurance. This includes 3rd party risks and pretty well "bricks & mortar". The lease dictates who is responsible for what. My tenants have insurance which covers their risks : 3rd party, contents, consequential loss (fire, flooding downstairs, etc.). Most people also have a family insurance covering children at school, etc

Peter

• 2 weeks later...

Dear All,

I would like to add that I so far agree with all that has been said. But even though insurance is not 'Obligatory' providing you own outright the property.No 3rd party having any share in it. THEN you if it burns down to the ground its your loss and no one elses. The problem comes with the French laws about 3rd party risks.It does seem to be an insurance culture, where you sue everyone for any damage to anything. Although its not like USA where you sue for stupid sums and even dafter reasons. The French will sue your kids if they tear another childs coat in the school playground...

The point: If you dont have at least 3rd party insurance you are open to being bankrupted by the first person that steps onto your land and falls over a loose slab, step, stair or anything else...

You dont have to either takinsurance, buts thats not as serious.

Also re your neighbour; I would follow advice and take photos, take copious notes and so on. If the workman falls off the roof he may sue your insurers as he was working on your wall!

CYA its called.

Good luck with it anyway,

Jeremy

We are due to sign for our house sometime mid March and have been told that no insurance, no keys. We have got to have insurance before we can sign. The part about insurance on a rented property is correct. We will have to find out if we can get a rebate on the part of the year we will not be using when we move out of rented and into our new house.

Roll on mid March!!!

John.

http://www.ffsa.fr/

gives more details of French insurance.

It is not obligatory to insure your property although I imagine insurance is necessary if you have a loan secured on the property and wouldn't want to be without buildings insurance myself, or "civil responsibility".

Hi Puccette,

No loans of any kind, just an insistance from the notair. Also we wouldn't consider not having house insurance any more than car insurance or insurance for my radio controlled gliders.

John.

"Who does not know the winter countryside, does not know the countryside and does not know the life." Drieu La Rochelle.  (correct?)

Most notaires ask for an Attestation of insurance on the signing of the Acte de Vente.

It's always a surprise that insurance here is based on a calendar year, but beware that you have to cancel an insurance policy in writing with due notice. Just failing to renew it (as you might have done in UK) doesn't cancel it, and you will be relentlessly pursued for the payment of the premium even if you have arranged insurance cover elsewhere.

John Knott

Bet you a pint of pride that he means Sept - Aug.

Pucette,

A pint of Pride........Mmmmm worth a gamble I guess, I'll say March to February then !

The thing is, I have our insurance list on a board and every damned insurance starts on a different month and keeping up with it can be a nightmare. The laugh is, I have the dates (2 months in advance for the most part) of each one of when I can tell them to stuff their premiums but I never do, as the people at the office are so helpful, which isn't surprising really, as they make so many c o c k ups, that they have to be helpful to put it all right again

Well I'll be jiggered, I thought I was on firm ground there... all my insurances expire 31 August and if I take one out part way through the year they don't run for a full calendar year but to 31 August and then they are incorporated in with the rest. They told me that it's always the way, that was for cars... it's the same for those of my neighbours that I've discussed it with, we're all with Groupama...

Remains to be seen what the poster meant...

Ours start on the 1st of January. I suppose each company is different.

Ours used to be a right pain as the insurance vignettes for the cars used to have to go in on the 1st of Jan and the old one finished on 31st Dec. I was very happy to see that they have now given us 15 days grace, which gives us time to remember to swop now.

all my insurances expire 31 August and if I take one out part way through the year they don't run for a full calendar year but to 31 August and then they are incorporated in with the rest. .... we're all with Groupama...

That's a Groupama thing. Most insurance policies just run for 365 days from the day you take them out. We have three policies from two different insurers and all end on different dates.
Two are paid by direct debit but one, annoyingly, won't do that.

One advantage of the French "tacit reconduction" system is that even if you forget to pay your premium you are still insured.

We have just last week well 17th jan to be exact signed the acte de-vente  so asked this question "only fire insurance is required " was the reply from the notaire.

Our estate agent aranged our insurance which he had paid for up front and we gave him the cash on the day, so i said this will run out in Aug then his reply "no it`s for 12 months".

so up a ladder down a snake who knows it`s Fance

Dave