Irritating posts

Mysfloss

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Growing-up as a dyslexic, if I was at a loss at how to spell a word, I would ask. The least helpful reply was to “look it up in a dictionary” - which is the one thing you cannot do if you cannot spell the word.

So, what irritates me is people who could help but choose not to.

Buying a house in France it took quite a while to get from enthusiastic dreamer to the Acte de Vente. I am grateful for all the generously given positive advice we have had, from myriad sources, whilst buying our house. Nobody held back.

The Living France archives are great, thanks Living France. However it took me a while to come across them. Likewise Google is good but often you have to know the question to ask in order to get the answer.

So all you seasoned posters who are irritated when somebody asks a question that you feel has been answered many times - try and remember what it was like for you when you were starting out.

I been thinking (yes I know a rare event and quite painful) about why some posts get up others noses! I have come to the conclusion that it may depend on the image the post gives in the mind of the reader, of the poster. Now I have conducted a little experiment and re-read some of my posts whilst thinking about someone I don't like. Instead of the warm hearted, bearded, friendly looking guy with a twinkle in the eye and an infectious smile I have imagined a tall slimmer chap with thin lips, staring eyes and the corners of the mouth turned down. This then puts an entirley different meaning to the written words. Some sequence of words may push hidden buttons that you did not know you had so I will in future imagine some old cheerful grandpa or grandma who will sometimes give a playful poke in the ribs with a chuckle.....................Just a thought........John in 79

I`ll tell you what really annoys me  about this site.

Posters who can change their Avotar as often as I change my mind....yes SB I do mean you and Miki.

Suppose if I sat here long enough I would figure out how to do it ,but right now we are busy debugging the puter cos some sad git has bugged us!

The how much does it cost bregade annoy me no end

how long is a piece of string?

[quote]Over on TF a lot of posters have their own picture as their avatar (like me). Does that help or hinder? If help - how about it some of you?I know I bang on about this a lot, but I also find it difficu...[/quote]

I'm sure that we have discussed this before, have we not? I can't believe that someone that good looking can produce some of Dicksmiths' posts ...........

I worry about the cross-gender posters. These people who pretend to be men, when they obviuosly are not. Sorry John (aged 79?).

Sometimes the reality is disappointing compared with the fantasy but having said that you look like a younger version of me Dick and I am quite cuddly too! Mind you if they don’t like la barbe then we have a problem, Jackie hates mine!……………………John  in 79 (Also needs a haircut)  

[quote]Put me out of my misery, who on earth pretends to be a man? I can't think of anyone who does that....... is that naieve of me?[/quote]

Ah well, now there's the rub....

You never can tell, can you? This is one of those chat-room scenarios, no?

I'm afraid that your misery is of your own making, I doubt if I can help you......... Even if I was willing to name and shame.....

I worry about the cross-gender posters. These people who pretend to be men, when they obviuosly are not. Sorry John (aged 79?).

So that was a windup or tease or what?  I have never thought that anyone was doing that, so naieve I might be, but I'm happy with being naieve under these circumstances.

[quote]Over on TF a lot of posters have their own picture as their avatar (like me). Does that help or hinder? If help - how about it some of you?I know I bang on about this a lot, but I also find it difficu...[/quote]

I don't think you really want to see what I look like!

I have given some members my website address in case they want to see what I look like, but I don't feel inclined to publish that knowing of problems that other people have had before. I don't think I have a photo of me that I would want anyone to see! I don't fancy the thought of ME looming up every time I post on LF.

Anyway, you can have a description - dark brown curly hair, collar length (well longer if it wasn't curly), female, specs, overweightish, over 40, mother of 2 teenagers, not trendy, not traditional, yet traditional (work that one out), bit of a non-conformist (don't mean religiously), stickler for maintaining cultural values, but not square. In fact I'm an odd mixture, as you may have noticed. Don't look like anyone famous.

[quote]I worry about the cross-gender posters. These people who pretend to be men, when they obviuosly are not. Sorry John (aged 79?). So that was a windup or tease or what? I have never thought that any...[/quote]

Ok, OK, I'll come clean.. Jokes, especially mine, rarely survive critical analysis, but;

I was alluding to the fact that some (for example, "jackie") have female logins and are obviously male (as in "John", as in "Sorry John"). The "aged 79" was a Private Eye reference.

OK? Sorted now? Good.

Sorry John

No sweat Nick. Yes it can be confusing as Jackie is the member, wears skirts and is not Scottish, and I, could wear skirts but don't, only make guest appearances by popular demand! Having said that there are lots of notable Jackies who are male like you and me. Here are a few:

Jackie Robinson baseball player, Jackie Chan actor, Jackie Stewart racing driver, Jackie Leven soul singer and guitarist, Jackie Wilson R&B vocalist and of course no list would be complete without the late and great Jackie Gleason!

I always append my name to my posts as Jackie is very keen that she is not blamed for any inanities that I might utter, a wise decision you must agree…………best wishes……John in Dept 79

Hello, hello loosers (Guerre de Cent Ans)

I think it is the most appropriate topic to tell all the british people who doesn't speak french : BOUH !!!!

Maintenant, j'aimerai savoir si des personnes comme Val2 sont vraiment fiers de ce quelles sont. Dans mon cas, je vivrai dans un pays autre que mon pays d'origine dans le but de m'adapter à la culture, au mode de vie, bref être français d'adoption.

C'est donc pour cela que j'écrit en français que tous les anglais ne sont pas comme, et retenez la bien, VAL2. This kind of person are nothing and we don't care that they can't find bleach or anything else (eau de Javel, un dictionnaire ça existe et c'est trés pratique quand on parle pas français)

Napoleon est là pour vous dire ZUT et bonjour à tous ceux qui sont d'accord avec moi

Napolean, you decided to be an immigrant and become french, I most certainly am  not an immigrant and never was. However, for the time I was going to be here, I decided to fit in and I have done that.

And don't give me that about javel. You know that not everything is as easy as that. Flour alone, the most basic of commodities is a complex purchase and no dictionary can help with that. There are many things that are not so easy.

Losers.......... I don't actually think that many of us anglais(e) are bothered about a war centuries ago. I'm just pleased that there was a battle at Waterloo that  was won, I have a feeling that our lives may have been affected to this day if a corsican dictator had won that one and not for the better.

Napoleon rappelez-vous le destin du maréchal Ney qui était un franc-maçon aussi! Les meilleurs voeux......John in Deux Sevres

PS In case you don't know the story Ney (Bravest of the brave), Napoleon's right hand man, was supposed to have been shot by firing squad but in fact the soldiers, on the orders of Wellington, a fellow free mason, fired blanks and Ney was spirited safely away. What a film that would make, who would best play the principal roles?

I'm not irritated by the same old questions. Like others have said, we were all new once, and doing a search is not always easy or straightforward.

I don't mind "in" jokes and cliquiness (sp?). I enjoy funny postings, and even (shock) ones that don't have anything to do with France.

I don't like personal feuds played out on the forum, and rude postings (rude - unpleasant, nasty ... not rude - saucy!)

I don't even mind excessive use of exclamation marks, etc.!!!!!?

I have gained so much from this forum, in an entertaining way, not just informative.

But the ones that really bug me,(mainly before the forum format changed) are the ones that repeat quote the whole of someones posting, then write something inane like "I agree", or "Me too".

Diane

I used to get seriously irritated by one particular poster -  'I am a super bunny, comfort me, love me', but, what joy, said poster has found new play-pen.

This must be a very personal thing, beacause so many people say it, not just in cyber-space.  I'll sling it in anyway.

IMHO (In My Honest Opinion)

It makes me think that at this point, you are being honest, but not at any other time you don't make this 'clarifying' statement.

Now, I know that my fear is ungrounded, because I know people who say this myself, and they are good, honest people, bur why say it?

Just realised this should probably go in the thread about linnit, y'know, like etc, but I am very lazy - and always try to be honest.

I don't know why people say IMHO, but even in speech people do say things like that. There are lots of superfluous phrases in speech generally. You would hope that people were giving their honest opinion but you never can tell.

The one that gets me is when people start saying "with respect......" and you know that they really mean that the person they are speaking to is speaking a load of twaddle!