Irritating posts

Mysfloss

After reading "is it just me" post I thought about the posts that irritated me the most,mine are the "you can't buy it here" ones eg self raising flour and the ones where two minutes in the french english dictionary would answer the question eg whats the french for carpet etc.Apart from my posts which must irritate the hell out of lots of people, has anyone any others?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find the question l" we are thinking of moving to France and want to set up a business letting gîtes.Can anyone tell us how to go about this please" so annoying. No matter how many times people reply that it is not easy to exist this way fromtheir own experience doing the same, without a supplementary income/pension along comes another with the same question,they obviously havn't looked through the info in the archives which would tell them what they need to know.

Yes, Val 2 I agree to a certain degree it will be very boring for any old timers. However, it is a bit unfair to ask these people to search the archives because they no longer exist. So we are all back to square one. Meaning we will probably see questions asked that have been answered hundreds of times before.

I suppose it depends on your own experience of moving countries, and what's been important to you.

Flour - a staple of human civilisation for thousands and thousands of years.  Why would you expect it to be SO different in the next country along!  And yet it is - 45, 55, what on earth is it all about!   

And dairy products - no consensus has been reached on here about cream, crème fraiche, fromage blanc, fromage frais, faisselle, cottage cheese, yoghurt.... again, how can something as simple as cow's milk be soooooo confusing! 

I've seen some discussion groups that are quite nasty with newbies who ask dopey questions - they get giclé straight to the FAQ (foire aux questions ) and told to come back when they've got something positive to contribute.

LF is really quite a nice place to be!  Apart from the odd git, as mentioned above.  Oops, you said gite, excuse me!  

Yes it is upsetting to see the same questions asked again and again but the archives have gorn in many cases so there is some excuse and I will always offer something if I can help.

There are many posts which show a lack of research into something as drastic as moving to a different country, when I think of the hours we spent reading everything we could lay our hands on!

Even worse is spending some time on crafting a post on some matter of great interest to us and getting over 50 views and zippo response. Paranoia sets in, they are ignoring me, they hate me, they think I am a pratt, I did not explain myself properly and I am really boring! Well of course I know this is not so don't I?.......................John (cuddly) in 79 

It irritates me when people say they are planning to move to France and have never been to France and then ask for suggestions where they should go. I can't see how they know they want to move there, and I don't think decisions can be made on other people's opinions, because we all react differently to different places. It also irritates me when people move to France without learning the language first.

"It also irritates me when people move to France without learning the language first."

I know what you mean but having said that does it really matter as long as you make an effort? It has taken me 60 years to speak a little English how much more French can I add to my quiver before entropy overtakes me?.........John  in 79

What annoys me are some of the so called senior members (by number of posts) engaging in childish to and fro name calling or wit to increase their postings. They provide no usefulness for most members and it is tiresome to wade through a topic where one or two members post a dozen posts or more answering each other usually completely off topic There must be more appropriate places for personal communications.

New section please forum admin----My posts are bigga than yours---

Bob

Hi All,

I bet someone hates it when a person introduces theirself with 'Hi All!'

I bet I really pi*s some people off with some (if not all) of my posts.

I bet if life was really so straight forward it would be a little boring!

I bet a lot of people who come onto LF for the first time to post are really exited by the prospect of living in France and don't stop to think about Google or the 'search button'.

The 'old lags' that have been here since  before I discovered LF must quite rightly get fed up with all what has been said, but they still stay; and I for one am glad they do.

Be careful with threads like this, it could put newcomers off! They will get the hang of it, I've noticed that the worst offenders don't hang around long, the newbies get the hang of it and usually participate well.

I still say that no matter how many posts pee me off, the overall quality of this site makes up for it.

Lets here it for Lf! Yeah yeah!..........

Bob (no I'm not drunk, just de-mob happy!)

I don't get fed up with your posts redcap.

I just get sick of folks thinking that the number of posts someone has, is important in some way.

This, like every single message board I've ever been on, is a mix of those who post a lot, those who post almost never and those who post occasionally. That is how a typical message board works and that is how this one does. I wouldn't dream of making a comment on another board about the number of posts someone had and I wouldn't dream of it on here either.

Hang on a minute, I don't think you are being very fair here.  I remember when I first joined this forum over four years ago.  I was only thinking of moving to France then, and yes, I could have gone through the archives but how boring is that when you are so excited that you have found a forum with like minded people.

Newbies could well be put off by this thread.  I think if somebody asks a question that you find repeatable, you could still point them in the right direction!

Horses for courses and all that!!!

Have to say, the only posts that irritate me are rude or arrogant.

People's lack of planning, googling, spellchecking, lack of knowledge or language skills may surprise, worry, amaze or amuse. Irritate? Certainly not.

Maybe because we've been guilty of all that too.

OK as a relative newcomer who has now made a number of posts I'll tell you how I found it (and some of what I say echos Redcaps sentiments)

I was very excited when I found the forum as I thought it was going to be a useful resource. I made one of those posts that you all find irritating regarding gites because - 1 I thought people would be able to help 2 - I didn't fathom out the search function until a lot later.

I must admit I was very disheartened by the responses I received and it almost put me off. I also found that it seemed that everyone knew everyone else and it was a difficult group to join in with. I still feel a little like that sometimes.

However on the positive side I have learnt a lot from reading the postings - I take care to avoid posting if I think it will encourage those less friendly souls and whenever possible I will add something friendly to encourage those newbies when they make their first nervous posts!

I wouldn't be without the forum though!

ditto kent

My major bugbear is really negative posts to newbies from folks who have been in France for years and sound like they don't want anymore Anglais here! Okay, so it's not all a bed of roses but a little constructive encouragement wouldn't go amiss.

regards.....helen (have been here over three years though in various guises)