Estate Agent versus Lingerie Shops

Passing the time today in Limoges I realised there were approximately four times as many Lingerie Shops as there were Estate Agents. Ratios in Kingston are the other way round. I think the French have got their priorities right.

They also had book and CD shops which were not part of huge chains.

Anton Redman ( waiting for the flak)

[quote]Passing the time today in Limoges I realised there were approximately four times as many Lingerie Shops as there were Estate Agents. Ratios in Kingston are the other way round. I think the French have...[/quote]

I've never been to Jamaica (but my wife has ......)

If you were referring to Malvern, then you would be talking about charity shops, shoe shops, shops that sell peoples cast-off's to benefit others, footware suppliers, misc good causes and an Estate Agent (or 6).

Hopefully, I shall never have to buy another second-hand pair of Jeans again.

Seems done here in coastal Aude we have lots of banks in small towns.,either everyone is rolling in money or hocked up to there eye ball's. Most of the chain stores are in out of town-ish shopping centres but there are a good few estate agents around, not as many as in the U.K. though and not an Oxfam or Save The One Legged Toad charity shop in sight.

Not around here there aren't. Our local town, not very big has one lingerie shop, and 5 estate agents, population around 7 thousand maybe less and no brits to be heard. There are lots of estate agents in the region now, thank goodness there isn't one in our village, but we do have a mercerie still which sells undies, but I wouldn't really call what they sell, lingerie.

Estate agents are spring up round here like mushrooms,even in our local port which is very small, there are three already much to the annoyance of long standing locals who are convinced they are to blame for the price increase and influx of holiday home owners only. I was outside on monday afternoon fiddling with my mower when a suited man arrived and started poking round my back part (garden,not bodyhe then started peering the neighbour's windows as no one was home. I asked him politely what he was doing,this is a small lane of three homes and no entry to anyone else and he said he was looking for land and potential properties for sale for his branch of a national estate agent. I thought then, that things must be bad if they send out their suited men to do the legwork of snooping and preying on people who may feel pressurised. The same is happening where my parents live, every week they get letters from estate agents asking if they would like their house valued and put up for sale, but after 50 years I don't think so.

My town has only got one lingerie shop (and it's the kind that sells "supportive" undies, along with floral pinnies-now there's an interesting vision )

I think there must be at leats four estate agences, maybe more, they seem to be spring up all over the place, but then, so are new houses.

What we've got loads of, are hairdressers, estheticiennes....

[quote]My town has only got one lingerie shop (and it's the kind that sells "supportive" undies, along with floral pinnies-now there's an interesting vision ) I think there must be at leats four estate age...[/quote]

Well, if you have all the above and estate agents, what more do you need in life?

Somehow the mix of garments and the beauty therapies doesn't quite seem to gel. Do the women in pinnies ever go near a beautician or hairdresser apart from the visits for a short back and sides haircut?

Gill

We live in a small town with 2 estate agents, 1 lingere shop and...........4 hairdresseres??  None of them are ever full and everyones hair looks awful!?  You have the choice of short or shorter, red or black for ladies and non-descript cuts for men.  Sorry to deviate from the thread, but it has always baffled me!!

3 each of estate agents and pharmacies a sexy undies shop(mr O  always seems to cross the road facing there) a couple of presse and 6 hairdressers! all this in one street and a market square.

I actualy got brave last week and went for a haircut...Mrs O of the only grey head in france, Madame was very nice and didn`t cut too short ,whilst I had my chin on my chest(she was cutting the back) my eyes caught a glimps of the hair mags under the table,had to keep the giggles in check...even without my glasses on I could read the tittle,in English; Hair Colours.

whilst she was blow drying my hair madame said that my hair was very blonde! how tactfull,so I laughed and said not blond but grey, Next thing she is offering to discuss colours for my next visit! and whilst she was cutting ,the other thing that made me smile was the colour under her nails...red from all that dying!

Couldn't stop staring at the old gal in the next village post office. Well grey underneath, cut to a strange bob shape with no fringe and then orange/ginger dye with a very large streak of peroxide yellow on one side. Reminded me a bit of some jungle animal. It looked silly because this woman is well in her late 50's and dresses like an old dear and this hairdo is more what a 20 something would have done. She's quite brave in my opinion and so is anyone to defy the standard short back and sides with permed top - how I detest that and will never conform to it,shoulder length and beyond forever.

Down here, you don't just get the dark red, you get more unnatural blondes.

I had a look in the window of the lingerie shop this afternoon (the one next door has turned into a hairdresser's when I wasn't looking) and along with the supportive stuff and the floral pinnies, they stock Aubade, Now that goes better with the hairdressers (but not with the floral pinnies)

[quote]GRT17, you forgot to add to get that strange orange coloured hair dyed, along with the short hair.[/quote]

T.U.

thanks for reminding me!

I just wanted to add that along with the floral pinnies and sturdy under garments, one can usually buy HUGE knickers at many local markets. To complete the "look" don't forget the carpet slippers!

Gill

Returning to the first posting - I should think if you live in the Limoges area you need Lingerie shops to make life interesting - there is precious little else of interest in the region and what is there seems to be shut! (Oradour excepted.) On the other hand, wouldn't a massage parlour on every corner in Limoges be handy? After two hours walking round Limoges this summer it was just what I needed, what a painful day.

Not sure about nothing interesting in the Limousin. Went out last week to a concert by 'Ali Hireche' - Bach Fantasie en La mineur,Chopin Polanaise fantasie and Brahams 3 pieces op 118 nos 1,2, & 5 - Variations sur un theme de Paganini - or the theme from the South Bank Show for every body like me who has an urge to bellow 'Hi Ho Silver' during Rossini's William tell Overture. Mind you anybody who can study at L'academie d'Imola and not know they have a car racing circuit has my sympathy.

Novembre 17th has interesting Ravel night at the Grande Theatre but have decided I cannot cope with trying to translate "Les Monologues du Vagin" on the 18th.

Anton Redman ( Thanks Forum Admin was getting at bit board with Edyy Issard/ Barry Humphries style login)