Riverdancing mice

Weedon

Can anybody suggest an effective remedy for my mice please.

In the early hours of the morning it sounds like a whole family of mice have taken to doing the Riverdance on the other side of my very expensive double sided foil type insulation material next on my plasterboarded ceiling.

At 4 o'clock in the morning I have to confess to having a sense of humour failure so any good ideas for the effective removal of the blighters would be usefull.

I have been onto the roof and removed some slates to have a look at their racetrack and the best I could come up with for the moment was to place some containers with poison corn for them but I don't really like using that stuff.

I did think of playing some Des O'Connor music for them but they might be the sort of mice that like him.

Weedon(53)

If the insulation is done very well, you may find that the noise gets quieter, and quieter, with some pretty frantic scratching in the meantime, which grows fainter, night by night, and then it just...dies off, depending on how long they can survive on your very exensive insulation materials.

Speaking from en experience I would have got by without,

tresco

Quick, send me your address.  Lulu actually caught the other mouse this morning so I will post her to you before she loses the nack.

You have to watch her though as she doesn't know what to do with it once caught......  She could be daft enough to bring it to you in bed!

Hope we are mouse free now.

Some friends in France gave a home to a 5 week old farm kitten, it was the only one from the litter deamed to be docile enough to live with a family.  The poor little thing was all skin and bones but ate like a horse and purred like a steam train when it was given a decent meal.  But from day one he was not content with a normal domestic cats diet and set about supplimenting it with mice, voles and rats.  If he could not eat them all in one go he would bring them dead into the house and the first one he would leave in his food bowl and any subsiquent ones on the electric hob for his new owners.  I think this is one smart cat as he had even managed to work out that humans prefer their meat cooked.  When I last saw him he was about 8 weeks old and would suddenly appear from nowhere and chase though the long grass and return with some dead rodent that was almost as big as him dangling from his mouth.

Diana

Friends of ours in the UK who live in a national park get problems with mice every year. They have bought humane mouse traps and bait them with chocolate. The mice cannot resist choco, nothing works like it. Then they go and release them far from their place, but suspect that it is the same family that returns. So you could try that, or get a cat.

[quote]Friends of ours in the UK who live in a national park get problems with mice every year. They have bought humane mouse traps and bait them with chocolate. The mice cannot resist choco, nothing works l...[/quote]

Update on the goose stepping mice.

After putting a couple of dishes of poison corn under the tiles I have to report a couple of completely silent nights. It is really uncanny and I fear that I may have upset them to the degree that they have gone.

When this gale force wind dies I shall have to get up onto the roof again and check what has happened.

Incidently when I did my insulation and plasterboarding I was advised by a local artisan not to use the polystyrene stuff because he said the mice like it for their nests so that is the main reason I got the tin foil stuff.

Weedon(53)

We tried humane traps and despite depositing contents a couple of miles away, we're sure we caught the same ones night after night.

So .... we went to the local co-op agricole and brought a mouse trap called the "little nipper" and were amazed to find they were made in Buckingham which was just a few miles from where we lived in England. After depleting my supply of crunch peanut butter (they love it), we got fed up with hearing the trap got off shortly after we'd gone to bed every evening and then coming downstairs with the knowledge that one of us (actually Ray - I wouldn't go in the room knowing there was a dead mouse in it - I'm OK with live ones though - strange that). Anyway, I digress .... so eventually we got some FEROX flocons. Put some in a couple of jar lids on the floor and after a couple of nights noticed they were empty. May be coincidence, but we haven't seen a mouse since.

Beware though if you have pets, to make sure they can't get at it, as we had a couple of friends over and one of their dogs was a springer spaniel - they like to sniff at everything and the flocons could quite easily be sucked up the nostrils.

So despite not liking to poison the mice, I don't really want to share my house with them.

Onto another sort of mouse now - we have a bushy tailed mouse looking thing that keeps running up and down the walls of our well. It's slightly bigger than your ordinary house mouse. Anyone got any ideas what it might be?

Jan

Sorry to all those who can't kill the little sods but record to date of those "no more" from early October is six and all in the same cupboard, where one of the chauffeau is situated.

Quieter at the moment but some nights, there is still a rhythmical tapping,  it has to be the "River dance Numero Uno" Michael Ratlee himself.   We're after you Micky........................

They might not be mice but Leroy's. A sought of fruit/nut eating mammal peculiar to France. They are a bit like a small squirrel. They inhabit cavity walls, chimney's and lofts. They are nocturnal and also hibernate. They are active at the moment gathering in their winter store and are very noisy at night. If you have any sort of nut trees or oak trees you will have Leroy's. There is a special poison available at Mr Bricolage. It does work but takes a while and you need to find their cadavers otherwise you will get odours.

[quote]I don't think the name is Leroy, unless it is a West Indian squirrel (sorry Logan only jesting) I think that it is more likely to be of the "lérot" family that many of us know well, a loir. ...[/quote]

Thank you for correcting my spelling Miki. I tried everything humane to rid my house of them but failed. I did not want to kill them and didn't feel good about it. However the noise at night drove us to overcome our reluctance. So far I have dispatched 5 of the critters!

Our cat, Rosie, is an absolutely useless hunter but then again she is from London and probably never got tort unting myce in sowf lundun.   The other night she "caught" a mouse at 4am and proceeded to take it on a guided tour of the house, and together the two friends explored every room, with beaucoups of noise.   I found her laying on the carpet in the bathroom with the mouse sat on her belly, calmly washing its' face - the perfect place, eh!   In the end, I got totally peed off with their games so I shot the little ****** dead with a "pistolet de bille" I had bought for 10 euros a few weeks ago from the "big lorry full of bits" that comes round regularly.   The only problem is that the missed shots have made lovely little holes in the plasterboard.  Can't win, can you?