Sleep deprivation!

Cjb

I'm beginning to understand why this is used as a very effective form of torture! Having said that, my belle mere arrived yesterday and she has very kindly taken over the night shift (the day shift is easy as our daughter sleeps soundly during the day). We've read loads of books, magazines (my favourite being "bébé dort bien"), unfortunately my daughter hasn't read them herself, so she's making up the rules as she goes along. Oh well, I'll be on holiday soon, the Christmas holidays are almost over so I can go back to work for a rest!

I'm here in a trance!!

CJB

WELCOME TO THE WORLD  by Si Kahn

Pick me out an old time song

Sing it right or sing it wrong

Play a tune that's nine months long

Welcome to the world

Take my fiddle and my bow

Play you any tune I know

Keep you dancing while you grow

Welcome to the world.

In my mind I see you clear

Changing with each day and year

Lord we're glad you're finally here

Welcome to the world

May you grow up proud and strong

May your life be rich and long

May your nights be filled with song 

Welcome to the world.

Got this from Roy Bailey's CD "Why does it have to be me", which is just lovely.  Now Chris, some parental discipline is needed here to sort this baby out.  Start as you mean to go on.... oh, you are!       

How completely edible is she on a scale of 1 to 10?   I think we need another photo....  

Oh, she's very edible and growing all the time. Out of ten? This is France, surely everything's out of 20! I promise I'll post some more photos soon.

SB, could you post the tips on preparing for childhood again, (the one about making sure I critisize other parents on their parenting skills whilst I've still got the chance) as I'm sure I'll be able to appreciate it even more now that she's finally here.

As far as birth control is concerned, I'm sure the mere mention of us trying for a second, at this moment in time, would have my wife reaching for the closest sharp implement!

Teamedup - I got a wonderful 9 hours sleep last night, grace à ma belle mere! She's looking a little tired today, but then again, it's important that the grandparents don't feel left out (especially at night time)!!

Chris, WAKE UP!!!!!!   Here's the thing you wanted:

1. Before you go ahead and have children find a couple who are already parents and berate them about their methods of discipline, lack of patience, appallingly low tolerance levels and how they have allowed their children to run riot. Suggest ways in which they might improve their child's sleeping habits, toilet training, table manners, and overall behaviour. Enjoy it - it will be the last time you have all the answers.

2. To discover how the nights will feel walk around the living room from 5pm to 10pm carrying a wet bag weighing about 8 - l0 lbs. At 10pm put the bag down, set the alarm clock for midnight and go to sleep. Get up at 12pm and walk around with the bag again until 1am. Set the alarm for 3am. As you can't get back to sleep get up at 2am and make a drink. Go to bed at 2 45am. Get up again at 3am when the alarm goes off. Sing songs in the dark until 4am. Set the alarm for 5am. Get up at 5am and make the breakfast. Keep this up for 5 years. Look cheerful.

You can find the rest of the String Bag and Octopus Guide to Parenthood at:

http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/strbago.htm

Cheers SB,

I'm up to no. 3 and still learning. Parents evenings are about to take on a whole new meaning to me. I was never particularly mean, but my outlook is about to take a drastic change.

Cheers, Mrs O. Please don't talk about sleepless years, we're just coming to terms with sleepless weeks!! You can tell Mr O. that it'll be me that suffers now with all my holidays, believe me, I'm really looking forward to going back to work to rest, I'll have no excuse during those long summers hols!!

I'd agree with MrsO: our two awoke at least 3 times a night until three years old. The second was born  when the first was 3 yrs 3 months, hence 3 months of sleep in 6 years.............except that 1989 was a VERY hot sticky summer, and wifey was huge..........................

Isn't there a school of thought about keeping them awake more and more during the day so you can get them to sleep during the night? Yes, it'll be hard, but so is training any animal.

Alcazar

There is a school of thought that suggests that you should try and keep the baby awake during the daytime, however, there's also another that suggests that you should never wake up a sleeping baby as it's traumatic for them!!

As new parents we never know what to believe. We've been told that:

1. Our daughter will sleep through the night after somewhere between 6 weeks and 6 years.

2. She'd be born in early November. She was born a month later.

3. Wake the baby during the day, don't wake the baby (Doctor's advice)

etc........

The list goes on and on. What was "à la mode" one minute seems to be frowned upon the next. It's a bit like the advice that scientists give us with regard to what we should and shouldn't eat.

Regardless of all that, she's in fine form and growing and changing every day.

No 2 son, did all normal baby things and slept through the night at about 6 months.  He started then to wake up during the night once or twice. Got advice and put him back to bed to sleep and left him unless he was obviously upset (ie crying). It got a bit worse as time went on. By age 5 one of us was sleeping on the bedroom floor as he had the capacity to stay awake for 24+ hours. I suggested he had a sleep disorder, no way said everyone we saw, just a very active child.

Age 18 they agreed that he had a sleep disorder as he could go 36 hours without sleep and then crash for 10 or so hours BUT it was then to late to treat. He had trashed his education and his life by then.

In Nov last year he decided he wanted to work for the postoffice as a temp over Christmas and I suggested he offer to do night work, it is tedious but you get better pay. He not only managed this but his sleep patterns improved. He now holds down a job (very menial BUT A JOB) and has progressed in leaps and bounds. I think he always felt a failure and in his present job he is hailed as the best office junior they have ever had. He is finally finding life and has matured beyond all recognition.

My daughter in law has just had No 2. She has told me that mothers like me are horrid, they never tell the truth about how it really is with 2 small children. I just smiled sweetly and said that the world population would crash if we did - trust me, they are all worth it, the able, disabled and troubled, your child is your child and they are all really really life enhancing.

Enjoy

Iceni: heartening reply! Our eldest has ADD, they refused to diagnose it as such when he was younger as it was then known as ADHD, and the H was for "hyperactivity" which he never REALLY had.

He's now 18, and doing two jobs, one full time, the other in any spare hours he has. It's really nice to see him getting on, even if we are still waiting for the next crisis

Alcazar

Every baby is different.  I've never heard of waking them up though so they will sleep at night.  If she slept the afternoon, so did I.

I can guarantee one thing though.  The night she sleeps through you will lay in bed in the morning too scared to go into her room...  Do you poke her yet?  Watch with eagle eyes to see if she is breathing?

Ah.  The joy of parenthood.  Bloody ages you!

That seems to be the best bet. As far as the post prior to Russethehouse is concerned, I can't comprehend exactly what the poster is attempting to add to this thread. It was meant as a light-hearted personal reflection on the early days of fatherhood, in response to the many kind messages of support that I've received from regulars on this board in response to the birth of my daughter. Nobody's claiming to be an expert, but as a new parent I do respect their experience as that's one thing that I'm undoubtedly lacking for the moment. I'm sure in years to come that I'll be recounting my sleepless nights to someone else in the same position as us, and I'm equally sure that even at that point in time I'll still be way off having all the answers. These things must be approached with a sense of humour!

Happy New Year to one and all!

You will, of course, be a bit more in the know Cjb, but unfortunately you will not have SUFFERED!  You are just a man.

Not for you the SIX MONTHS in agonising labour.

The TEN balls of STRING it took to "stitch me up".

We ladies have all been there....