census

Punch

Has anyone else had a "recensement" form to fill out for this year yet? I had a visit today from a lady pre-warning me of a further visit this thursday with the census forms to fill out which have to be completed by law. I've been here a few years and this is only the second time i've done this.

I noticed that France now has an official population of over 62 million (INSEE) which was a few million more than I expected (over 3 million of which live in Brittany alone!)

Paul

Yes, the lady came last week to see where everyone lived in our little commune and said she would be back with the forms sometime next week. With our first census, when we were down south, we were on holiday (for once) but we had a note left to tell us to get in touch with the Mairie.

When we had the last one in the Dordogne we had to tell them how many were staying with us but they never asked where the people were from, which seemed a bit strange !

Friends in the next commune but same dept, say they have heard nothing about it, let alone had a visit !!

According to today's paper the census is to a new formula. In lieu of a countrywide census every 8 years, a fifth of the population is to be counted every year,giving complete cover in five years. Towns of over 10.000 inhabitants are treated differently, a sample of 8% counted annually. A map of Charente in the paper shows communes counted in 2004 giving changes since 1999, -it looks like a random patchwork over the department. There is a list of this years communes as well. (Charente had 1.690.000 population Jan 2004, 50.000 new arrivals since 1999). There is a lot of other info as well.

MikeW

Hi - the census is being conducted in our neighbouring commune and according to our maire, we to be counted next year.

I read the article in the Charente Libre, Mike, but I couldn't work out the map -  I'm glad you could!

According to the l'INSEE report the rise in population is in part due to a baby boom in 2000 and the fact that the birth rate has overtaken the mortality rate.

The article was saying that the Charente is the fifth most popular region (after Languedoc-Roussillon, Midi-Pyrenees, Aquitaine and Corsica) for newcomers (of all nationalities) but that they were mainly older people (retirees) and that the number of young people under thirty is at a "dangerous" level.

I'm interested to know how they determine these figures given that the census is being staggered.

regrads........helen

Hi

We've had the initial letter, and are expecting a visit.

The letter says everything is completely confidential; our neighbours say tell them as little as possible : any changes to the property will be reported and your tax fonciere will go up !

Could be University of the Boulangerie queue ?

The last census I was counted was UK in 1981. So where have I been reported ever since ?

Peter

[quote]Hi - the census is being conducted in our neighbouring commune and according to our maire, we to be counted next year. I read the article in the Charente Libre, Mike, but I couldn't work out the map ...[/quote]

Re. birth rate. It would seem that French residents of all extractions are indeed becoming more fecund (my 3rd favourite word in the English language). Birth rate is up to 1.86 / woman in 2003 from 1.76 in the 1990's, according to "Ouest France" yesterday. Not that I believe everything in the papers - there's a story on the same page about meteorites that I find VERY unlikely.

Certainly in our village pregnant women loom into view at every turn. "Something in the water?" I asked one of the mothers at the school. "No," she said "just very little on television." The schools here in our little rural corner are in raptures. A few years ago they were in danger of being closed through lack of pupils. Now they are in line for extra staff and resources.

It's probably just me not being very intelligent, but I really can't understand how you can anounce an official population number when you have only a small amount of that popluation being recensé every year.  I don't get how a few people every year is more accurate than everybody once every ten years.

The last time I remember filling in the census was back in 1992 (I think)

If you have a big enough sample (and 20% of the population must be about 10 -12 million people, not a few people) then you can make extrapolations with a high degree of confidence (>95%). You would need to make sure that each year's census was broadly representative, so that you have a similar mix of urban and rural, regional etc. It would be accurate enough for most planning purposes, I imagine.

I don't think that even the French government would embark on a scheme like this without some fairly substantial statistical support...

Nothing here in 29. Could be next year for us I think. Holiday homes were counted inthe last official census but only by the records as the next village has more holiday homes than resident. Usually the census is for permanent residents only who have to do the forms in person with the official who calls.

Recieved our forms last night and the lady will be back next Thurs to collect them. Had a quick flick through them and it all looks pretty streightforward,all tickboxes. Asking questions such as do you live at the address for the main part of the year, how many rooms and surface area. Mrs O