Rowntree/Terrys chocolate.

Alcazar

Anyone else fancy supporting a boycott of these products, now the parent company (Kraft) has move production abroad?

I haven't eaten KitKats since they closed the York factory, and today, another 70 people lose their jobs at Terrys, with more to come.

Alcazar

I've a sneaking suspicion that Rowntrees have been owned by Nestles for many years and as I am very anti Nestles, I have been (trying to ) boycott their products for years. My reason for the boycott is what I consider to be disgusting (lack of) ethics by them concerning developing countries.

Hear hear, John!

I stopped eating KitKats years ago.  When I eventually tried one again, just to see what I was missing, the answer was - absolutely nothing!   Insubstantial and sugary, kind of like sweetened sawdust.  All I'd ever been doing when I did eat them was lining Nestlé's pockets.

Sorry to hear about the jobs going tho.  Nestlé also own Perrier, along the road from us, and they were having problems recently.   There are still messages painted on the road about "Chomage Nestlé" - or is it "Chomage Perrier". 

Yes, Rowntrees have been Nestle for some time, but their products were, until, I believe, last year, still made in York.

I've already dropped all Rowntrees brands, and will now drop Terrys.

What I find most upsetting is that if Rowntree/Terry had attempted to take over Nestle, then dump jobs, the takeover would have been blocked by the Swiss government. What do Billy Liar and Lying Labour do ? Nothing

Don't suppose it matters, what's a few jobs less "oop north" ?

Alcazar

I don't follow your logic.

If everyone boycotts the product, they won't sell any so won't manufacture any so sack the workers.....

What good will that do?

I used to work at Terry's many years ago when it was owned by Colgate.  Rowntree's was still going strong in August, what has happened since?  Not been able to get any information.

Aye, but it'll be Swiss workers and not English ones, as they have already gone. I wouldn't wish that to happen to anyone of any nationality, but many of these big multinationals do think that they can do what they like. I think the only way we can make them accountable is to hit them where it hurts... let the CEO's know that we are not impressed with their actions so will boycott the products and that will affect their bonus!

And Austria perhaps too JFM. We went across to Austria skiing a few years ago and visited the local chocolate factory and they were selling Terry's Chocolate Oranges there in the factory shop. No mention of Nestle there, we were told the name of the austrian chocolate that is made there.

I've also been boycotting Nestlé for years, didn't realise that it was that long though!! So long that I'd almost forgotten why. Really difficult as Nestle own so much.

Same with Magnet - not likely to be able to buy any sort of kitchen for a long time though.

regards......helen

"many of these big multinationals do think that they can do what they like"

But they can and do. And remember folks - there is no situation so dire that state interference cannot make it worse.

John (who exercises his democratic right not to vote so cannot take any credit/blame)

not