The sales!

opas

Seems like everyone loves a bargain. Went to perpignan this morning with 2 children in tow, would have gone without them but need shoes for one and the other has grown so tall that I cannot judge clothing sizes anymore! The roads on the way there were eerily quiet. Got to the centre...well M25 eat your heart out, it was incredible, I am talking 09.30.

Anyway got lucky in first shop we went into for clothes, came out with a huge carrier bag full about 1 hour later and 7 euros lighter,yes I did say seven euros!

Next on the agenda was shoes, the stores I wanted are at the opposite end of the town,after 20 mins on the same street we gave up and took a shortcut to the swimming pool(which was meant to be our destination just before lunch(always quiet then....you know how the french are for mealtimes!) so a swim then off to Mc Do for lunch(not for me I`d sooner go hungry) another 30 mins to do a 5 min trip. Intended to go into Decathlon for swimwear after lunch and the shoe hall across the road, took one look inside the doors and gave up.

Will try again just after lunchtime opening on Saturday for shoes!

anyone else get a bargain today?

There had been one thing I was hoping would have a 50% reduction, but it only had a 20% reduced label on it so I didn't bother.

I saw nothing that I could have had a bag full for 7 euros, although I do remember years ago, in a Kiabi end of sale sale that the boys and I got lots and lots of things for around 60ff. The queues and traffic were horrific today. Hopefully with the kids at school tomorrow, it will be less chaotic.

Yesterday I participated in my first ever French sale. What a disapointment, the posters outside shops proudly boasted reductions between 20 - 70%. Most of the clothes looked so cheap to begin with I thought they should be reduced by a further 70%. Then I went to look for a small portable flatscrene TV and built in DVD player, none of these were on sale. The only bargain of the day was in Plein Ciel where small boxes of jewelery beads were reduced from 16€ to 3€, I took 5 boxes and a couple of small full price notebooks to the till. The cashier rang them through at the full price and would not accept they were reduced. The queue was getting longer but I stood my ground. Finally with a lot of huffing she reduced them.

Diana

Down in Perp on Wednesday myself, not far from your lunch time feast opas ( Subaru garage across the road) and did not see a great deal worth buying. All the old stock form the back rooms stuck in the shops, though saying that, enjoyed a walk around the new fnac store and picked up a couple of bottles of wine and some chocolates.

Long long ago, I was told that there were no soldes at more than 50% off in France. And until yesterday, I had never seen more than that off anything.  Cuiropolis had a winter coat, doudoune sort of thing with 70% off. Pity they didn't have my size.

However, sales used to be better than I have found them this year. The very odd item at 70% off is not as good as having a lot of decent stuff off at 50%, well that is what I prefer.

This January in Limoges paid 170 Eros for a coat which know was on sale for 240 Euros in December.  Was also interviewed by very nice lady for local French paper and explained that I used to buy my clothes twice a year during the sales in UK.  I await headlines on page 13 "UK tight wad stalks sales in France"   Carrefore shirt and jean prices can be good. I used to worry about wearing last year's styles now worry about wearing styles from last millennia.

Worst /  Best sale experience was in a clothes shop in Northern France. Isabel was working her was downa line of sale clothes and I was reading a paperback. French lady of indeterminate age ( between 45 and 70  came out of the changing rooms wearing a slip, glanced at me and said in Flemish " well if it does not get him exited what is the point of buying it "   

Was also interviewed by very nice lady for local French paper and explained that I used to buy my clothes twice a year during the sales in UK.  I await headlines on page 13 "UK tight wad stalks sales in France"

Anton,

In previous years and for many years in fact, many French used to buy most of their clothes for the year in the New Year Sales.

I have witnessed Ladies (and Men) in Printemps and other shops, simply scoop up clothes in their size and throw them in their cart. We have some friends in Paris, who are not short of a Euro or two and they still love to shop that way. We personally are happier these days, to wait a few days until probably next Monday, when calm finally starts to settle and if there is still some decent stuff available, then we will buy. This year it is a pullover or two and a quality pair of shoes that are all I really want.

So don't worry about them accusing you of being a tightwad, I have witnessed frightening sights of chariots full to the hilt and still in full cry of anything else available in size 12-16. It is how many French have always liked to attack the sales.

Heaven knows what would happen if they ever entered a real sale down Oxford Street..........

I only seem to buy stuff for my grandson in the sales.  I can never be bothered for myself.  Shorts in summer and leggings in winter.  Sandals and wellies.  I'm a sight to behold.

Usually works unless we Go Somewhere....

Anyway, supermarkers are good.  Buy loads of stuff in Carrefour.  I think I will be popping their way later on.

I used to buy sales stuff in M&S and Tesco etc... and wear it in France. I bought some excellent quality clothes from Cora and Leclerc... and wore them in the UK. Mass-produced clothes suddenly look original when you transplant them. Best ever buy were two cashmere winter jackets from Cora (atelier Reflex ) for 300 ffrancs each. They're still going strong 6 years and many dry-cleanings later.

Now I'm in France and, while packing for the move, was forced to accept that I have sufficient clothes of all kinds in 3 sizes to last me for the next 20 years. Now, I don't buy anything. (sad sigh) Except shoes...

Just got back from lunch out with my kids and a quick visit to the Géant next door, nothing to behold and came away with two baguettes and two bags of good value pasta instead. I actually went for the Asia week but think that must have gone when I wasn't looking. The sales from what I looked at was the usual rubbish - loads of ovenware dishes and odd bowls,CD stands and DIY things. The clothes looked tired and no one seemed to be buying anything other than food for the weekend. There seems to be a general apathy here at the moment, is it the same in other depts I wonder and the weather can't be the problem because its sunny again today.

I went to Carrefour in St Brieuc this morning and bought virtually nothing.  I go for the children's clothes as they are so cheap...and William is a BOY.  Two jumpers.  There didn't seem to be many people buying either, like Val saw.

Still, plenty of other shops to hit.....

• 3 weeks later...
What an extravagent fool I am! nipped into Leclerc whilst I was having a new tyre put on the spare(can`t stand the smell of garages) only wanted the usual boring stuff...milk , biscuits and a baguette, so once these were in the basket had a browse around the clothing, Big mistake! bought a 60% wool coat for me reduced from 55 euos through various stages of the sale , bought it for ...3 euros. A wool jumper for the other half reduced from 30 euros to 3 euros and a pair of leather trainers for the eldest at 4 euros from the original price of 35 euros!     not forgeting they had a promo on Tefal, 100% rembourse from the company for buying a pan off certain ranges on 2nd Feb...so got a 30 euro G spot or is that a thermo spot! Mrs o