Property Tax

I read a newspaper artical today that said they ( the goverment) are planning to charge non-residents and that includes those of use who live in France full time but have not taken French nationality a specail property tax. 5€ per square metre of livable space and 0.50€ for land and non-livable space. This is per year on top of normal property tax and they hope to bring it in at the end of the year. The really bad news is that they are going to back date it to 1st Jan 2005. Those you now wish to take French nationality will still have to pay the first years tax. This is all part of the drive to stablize house prices and increase local departmental income in regions that have a lot of overseas second home owners that give very little to the community. The extra income is meant to go towards building cheap housing for workers in towns and village that have seen massive house price increases, that have forced out local workers.

[quote]I read a newspaper artical today that said they ( the goverment) are planning to charge non-residents and that includes those of use who live in France full time but have not taken French nationality ...[/quote]

Can you point us to this piece in the newspaper ?

Are you sure it was for French Nationals and not French Residents (as in residential staus by way of declaring an annual tax return ?) Because very few Brits will EVER be able to gain French national status. I personally have only ever known one couple and one single woman who has ever gone on to become French Nationals.

Surely it must mean for second homes and not as described, otherwise the really would be killing off more money than what it would gain, no one would want to buy and live here with a annual hit like that.

I heard another one the other day, that said one could only gain 3% from the sale of a maison secondaire but I cannot find any menton of either facts anywhere. Anyone know where all this might be found ?

Talk about a property crash!  We just bought last summer in the hopes of living there permanently in 3 to 5 years, if this is true we would have to sell immediately. It would mean on our 7 hectares alone we would owe 36,000 euros a year!! I guess it could be seen as a good way to control immigration and a bonus of a mass exodus!

"....No doubt it's called the 'Poisson d'Avril' tax."

Yes, I guess so Les. The posting was a little incoherent.

It was bad enough finding out that the budget, which decided that cigarette tax would be done over two years, will now see the final rise of 1€75 from this weekend and the severe wine tax put in place 2 years ago by Brussels, hits home this summer and that will worry the booze cruise carriers even more. What now, £1000 return trips in summer for a family with 2 kids to Saint Malo ?

I nearly,said nearly, asked our local Percepteur about this tax I had seen on an anglo/french internet forum last night when we were having supper at the local resto, but realised what the date was going to be today and kept stumm. He gives me the willies a bit anyway as he has those really magnyfying lenses in his specs that make his eyes seem enormous and you feel a bit intimidated, must be all the paper shuffling and chasing non-tax payers all those years!

My husband is always going on about how much time I spend (or waste in his opinion) looking at this site. I regularly mention that I read this or that on LF. Well, I did mention this post and had him worried, when I learned that it was a joke his reply was I told you looking at those stupid sites would just get you into trouble. Most of the time it is people with too much time on their hands that want to stir things up or don't know what their talking about. Thanks, Richard. Now to save face I will be looking in less and on the quiet.

Now to save face I will be looking in less and on the quiet.

Mais non!!!    Be proud of your internet life.   Gone are the days of nerdy, socially inept, bespectacled geeks hunched over a keyboard programming getting all excited about quirky bits of Windows internals.

They've been replaced by US!!!   Modern, positive, knowledge-sharers, not afraid to push back boundaries of all kinds.    Do I quake in fear at the thought of another dubbed episode of Inspecteur Derrick?    Certainly not, I am made of sterner stuff than that.   We know about Real Life here, we do.   Bet your hub doesn't know that Marianne James does her own make-up for La Nouvelle Star?    Eh eh eh?  

Well that Sligobay fella loves himself!

My Mammy used to say "self praise is no praise" which is why I never praise meself (even though i'm great)

I went to Sligo 3 years ago, I met this old woman on a bike with a bag of ducks on the road to Ballyborris.

That reminds me, I would love to learn to play the flute! remember Jimmy Shand? He was great on the Accordian in Scotland.

Does anyone remember Cola Spangles?

Yep it was an Arpil Fools but if Le Pen gets in it could well become fact. A joke today could well become the truth tomorrow, if ordinary people do not stand up and fight the little fat Nazi, le pen. He is called le pen because he has a very small willy so they had to drop the 'is' from the end so he would not make a dick of himself.

I'm pleased I am not alone in my distrust, distaste of Le Pen. I actually felt anxious when the last presidentials were on, because it is alright everyone 'saying' he won't get in. But, he got far too far and was voted that far by the french voters and who was to know how people really were going to vote.

[quote]Well that Sligobay fella loves himself! My Mammy used to say "self praise is no praise" which is why I never praise meself (even though i'm great) I went to Sligo 3 years ago, I met this old woman ...[/quote]

Which is of course as it should be, but I think in this case the lassie (Saligo Bay) was encouraging others to do so, which is nice too

Cola Spangles, yuk

Le Pen - if he, or someone remotely like him was elected, I would leave France, before getting shoved.

tresco

Thanks, I thought that I hadn't seen them. I always do the sweetie shops and the sweet shelves in the supermarkets when I am back. I noticed that they don't do Rowntree's fruit pastilles in the boxes now, which we really enjoyed on our journey home in the car. They just aren't the same out of the packets.

Like eating chocolate cake with a spoon or fork instead of your fingers........just not as good.