French Attitude To Unmarried Mum

I am going to be a daddy by a lovely raven haired woman in our village, she is worried about shame being brought on her family ( her parents are really) and how they will become lepers in the commune and cast out into the wilderness.

It seems I have to marry this creature to avoid any of this happening and to keep her untarnished reputation and that of her family (they are big in apples) If she has the sprog out of wedlock she said her mother will give the child to the circus Elephant trainer (arrives in june) I am not going to marry her, I never married any of my other kids mothers, and I won't start now! I can't believe that in this day and age that people still have this attitude to unmarried mothers! I shall have to move out of and sell my house and move to another area, as her family will make life difficult for me and my cats and goat, and I don't want my child raised in a circus.

We had an unmarried mother in the local village a few years ago...I often see her floating past...when I'm sitting in the garden....can't understand why they didn't use proper weights like they use to years ago...perhaps thought they might get stuck in the beaks of the local waterfowl...very much into conservation around here but not unmarried mothers...although I don't know.

Did you say there was a goat in your ménage? Well, you know who to blame then. Must be a pretty old fashioned family though. In my village the paternity of most is uncertain and there are plenty of unmarried gels. No problem, to the extent that the village stone pile has diminished almost to nothing and the ducking stool is kept for Brits who dont use the proverbial 'capote anglaise'!

[quote]I never married any of my other kids mothers, and I won't start now! In this day and age this really isn't a serious statement is it?[/quote]

Seriously, how do we define the word '*******' these days?

Surely it has lost one of its meanings.

[quote]Is all this ******* meant to be to be whimsical/fey? If so, I'm definitely not singing from the same song sheet.[/quote]

I did say 'seriously' and the asterisks were inserted by the forum. The word to which I referred starts with 'B' and ends with 'D'. It has previously been defined as a child which was born out of wedlock.

[quote]Ray you are right, a bas tard is still a bas tard, even these days. If your parents don't marry that is what one is.[/quote]

**If your parents don't marry that is what one is.**

I accidentally, over 30 yrs ago, found out that I was either an extremely premature or an 'Oh,s**t!' baby. My parents were married in November and I was born in March. They were married for over 50 years and adored each other so I guess it turned out alright. My brother was the latter kind of baby . . . My Dad was 50 and Mom was 37. Surprise!!

Upon my discovery, my wife said - 'See all those people who call you that are RIGHT!' Sigh!

[quote]Ray your parents were married when you were born. I suspect that many people will be in exactly the same situation.[/quote]

** I suspect that many people will be in exactly the same situation.**

Absolutely! Back in the early 30's being pregnant and not married was a no-no. They either got married or spent an 'extended visit with an 'Aunt' in some other town'. My how times have changed.

The thing that always bothered me was the stigma that became attached to the child, as if it was their fault.

[quote]Spot on Tresco, I was referring to the original posting. As "un dame du certain age" myself, I'm afraid I find grown women who attempt whimsy, feyness or gawd help us, cuteness, very difficult to tol...[/quote]

Why?....or is it a case of the "Green eyed Monster"....raising it's head!

Don't think it's green-eyed monster, more a case of not tolerating fools gladly.  Hey, does that make me a grumpy old woman?  If so, I'll gladly join the ranks of Germaine Greer et al and can I have a badge to wear please?

[quote]Don't think it's green-eyed monster, more a case of not tolerating fools gladly. Hey, does that make me a grumpy old woman? If so, I'll gladly join the ranks of Germaine Greer et al and can I have a...[/quote]

I am not sure what you mean Sir?? Can you elaborate?

I think that old Germaine one needs a good old bit of jiggery pokery to sort her out! perhaps you do too? I love a bit of jiggery, but the pokery is really the best bit!

Thanks to all for the advice, but It looks like the Circus beckons for me little sprog!

[quote]Spot on Tresco, I was referring to the original posting. As "un dame du certain age" myself, I'm afraid I find grown women who attempt whimsy, feyness or gawd help us, cuteness, very difficult to tol...[/quote]

Good grief, could you possibly be referring to me?

Whimsical (Chambers definition: expressing gently humorous tolerance) certainly, fey (eccentric, slightly mad) well perhaps. Cute (daintily or quaintly pleasing, clever, astute) well who knows, but that really isn't for me to judge.

To me it seemed obvious that furryknickers was aiming to provoke us with a veiled tale of the debauchery of one of his menagerie of animals. I don't for one moment believe that he was referring to himself.

And so yes, my reply was whimsical. And, as one woman of a certain age to another, I am truly sorry if this offended you.

Funnily enough I have a huge amount of respect for Ms Greer, not least because she manages to champion feminism whilst still retaining a gloriously dry sense of humour.

[quote]Good grief, could you possibly be referring to me? Whimsical (Chambers definition: expressing gently humorous tolerance) certainly, fey (eccentric, slightly mad) well perhaps. Cute (daintily or quain...[/quote]

Aint it strange that animals don't get married? How do we know that they don't get married? maybe they do!