Another cultural export

No, not art or literature, wine or food, I’m referring to roundabouts.  Did you know the French invented them?  No, I didn’t either but apparently they did and they continue to build them at the rate of 1,000/annum, accounting for 50% of the world’s total of 35,000.  An architect called Eric Alonzo has just written a book on the subject and there’s even a web site recording the most artistic and historic ones.  Sounds absurd but take a look at www.sens-giratoire.com  it’s an absolute hoot.  If LF is ever short of articles to fill their pages, perhaps they could invite readers to send in pix of their favourite French ronds-points or most loathed minis-giratoires?

That's wierd, I was thinking about that calendar of roundabouts the other day, and how awful they were compared to the ones here. The roundabouts here are fantastic, they change the planting three or 4 times a year.

Thanks for the Killer Fact (and link) MWJ. Isn't it ironic that there still seems to be some confusion about how to get round one of the things?

Isn't it ironic that there still seems to be some confusion about how to get round one of the things?

Absolutely.  Although there's a mini-giratoire in St Malo pictured on the web site that's crying out for someone to simply drive right over it, which I would be inclined to do. 

Haven't had time to look at them all, but Pons 2 must be, IMHO, one of the worst.  Saintes has a couple of nice ones, as does Frejus.  Perhaps people should check the list before buying a house?  Perhaps living in a town endowed with several good ones could add value to your home?  And do anyone of them compete with Swindon?

M

[quote]Isn't it ironic that there still seems to be some confusion about how to get round one of the things? Absolutely. Although there's a mini-giratoire in St Malo pictured on the web site that's crying...[/quote]

** And do anyone of them compete with Swindon?**

The first time I saw it (1984) I thought it was a warning for a sunflower field ahead.

I suspect they get exported, TU, to barbaric countries who don't know any better and who think that forced sterilisation is a Good Thing.

I'll look out the article again, it's probably still in the mountain of paperwork covering the table.....

Depending on your viewpoint of course - that doesn't sound enough for the whole World, surely

George, my thought precisely but the article said this figure was based on a 1999 US study.  Started me thinking, who counts them?  I thought I had a boring job.  M 

ps: I've never been to Swindon, is that why I don't get the sunflower/seedless grape reference???

No, not art or literature, wine or food, I’m referring to roundabouts.  Did you know the French invented them?  No, I didn’t either but apparently they did and they continue to build them at the rate of 1,000/annum, accounting for 50% of the world’s total of 35,000.

Well, who would have thought that?

I'm not sure if I believe it - when I started driving in France in the 1960s they were conspicuous by their total absence, and anyway, they are COMPLETELY incompatible with priorite a droit. My recollection is that roundabouts in France only took off about 20 years ago with the relaxation of the priority rule when they were introduced to replace traffic lights. In spite of rapidly catching up with the rest of the roundabout building world, Gallic flare has nothing to match Swindon.

In the 1970s a roundabout appeared on the N98 near St Tropez. Because of the priority rule people on the roundabout had to give way to traffic entering - this led to massive traffic jams in the summer - it could take as much as an hour to cross it.

I suppose that the Place de l'Etoile in Paris might be called a roundabout (but this needs traffic lights to make it work) and has been there for a very long time.

(By the way, I did see, in my local remaindered bookshop, a small book showing the 50 best roundabouts in Britain - several being in the Redditch area, if I recall correctly.)

Here in Swindon, the council has a policy that if there isn't room for a roundabout, they put one in and if there is room for one.... they put two in!

It seems that a delegation from France (St Malo???) once came to look at out "Magic Roundabout" (So called unofficially since it was first err.. designed, but it now officially carries the name) before creating their own.

CK We had one roundabout about an hour's drive from here for years and years. The only one I can think of in the area then. And very scary to use.

Now I can't drive for more than a minute before I hit my first one. There are hundreds of the lousy things and very few people know how to use them.

There was an article about roundabouts in something like Le Monde in the recent past.

It said that people would get into the right hand lane even when they are going left, (don't most). Said a few other little things about them and how there were so many in France, but the point of the article was that they were now being decorated.

Staus Quo even wrote a song about a roundabout entitled "Living on an Island" It was very lovely. Any of you remember it? I am so sad that Quo are not wanted at Live8, they were great at the original Live aid, them and Queen stole the show!

Roundabouts are very usefull to mankind, and despite their reputation, I am very pleased to see that they are appreciated and of interest to the Living France Forum Members. Anyone come across a mobile roundabout yet?

I have adopted a roundabout in Peru.

[quote]Depending on your viewpoint of course - that doesn't sound enough for the whole World, surely George, my thought precisely but the article said this figure was based on a 1999 US study. Started ...[/quote]

I wonder if they have a number, bridges seem to, lamp posts do, telegraph polls do and pylons do, the mind boggles with the possibilities of counting them all. Who's responsible for the database and do they have a number - help!