Le plan canicule

zeb

OK here goes. These are the 12 recommendations that the Minister of Health, M Bertrand, has published to "conserve les personnes fragile" during the current heatwave. I'll type it in English (and paraphrased) as it would take me all day to type it in French with French keyboard!!

Keep shutters and curtains drawn at windows facing the sun. Air the rooms at night.

Don't venture out during the hottest part of the day. If you have no fresh, cool rooms at home go to cinemas, museums or the supermarket (air conditioned).

If you have to go out rest frequently, wear a hat and lightweight, light coloured clothes.

Take cool showers and baths regularly and don't dry out.

Drink not less than 1.5 litres of water a day.

Don't drink alcohol, caffeine or sugary drinks.

In case of difficulty with the availabily of liquids eat fleshy fruits and cucumber or tomatoes.

Continue to eat normally at mealtimes.

Limit your physical activities.

If you have elderly folks or those suffering from chronic illnesses, staying with you or nearby take their temperatures regularly and keep an eye on them.

In case of illness or questions regarding health of the elderly call your doctor.

For more information call the national Canicule information services on 08 21 22 23 00

Why 'coloured' clothes?

I think the important bit is "light coloured".

Vague memories of O level physics:  dark things absord heat , light things reflect.

I think they should have perhaps said "light, light coloured"  ie thin and pale , just like me!

LOL SB! Puts the onus neatly on the citizens of France rather than the government, don't it?

Couldn't find a cinema or museum open here in rural Charente so went to the supermarket. I offered to take my neighbours who don't drive (89 and 94) but they prefered to stay at home and carry on digging out their drainage ditch They were wearing hats though! I didn't dare ask them if I could take their temperatures.

TU and BISLIV - this is a rough translation (by me) of the publication. I think you can wear white clothes as well as/or instead of light coloured clothes.

PS Do I get made up to something higher than supreme being for notching up 600 posts

It is serious stuff around these parts, yesterday a field close to us caught fire and there was a slight  breeze in our direction it would not take much to really cause a mischief.  The pompiers were out in all their glory - thankfully. 

What caused this fire which could have been very serious for all around these parts as we have had no rain for weeks and the grass is tinder dry - was a 4x4 went off the beaten track and the heat from the exhaust set the grass alight.  This just goes to show how  dangerous fire can be.

Chainsaws are now banned as any stray sparks could cause serious mischief.  The Mairie has issued a leaflet in would you believe it English as well as French.

So it pays to be vigilant.

Deby

[quote]OK here goes. These are the 12 recommendations that the Minister of Health, M Bertrand, has published to "conserve les personnes fragile" during the current heatwave. I'll type it in English (and para...[/quote]

>>>Don't venture out during the hottest part of the day...<<<

How goes Noel Coward's song? ...Only mad dogs and ENGLISH men go out in the mid-day sun!...

It has been an observation of mine whilst my travels.

In any tropical countries I have visited when wisdom tells you to just have a rest indoors, in the shade, wherever but away from the blazing heat of the sun, I have found that the only nationality OUT is the good ol' Brit! Man MOSTLY with missionary sandals, knee high socks and missionary zeal pacing up and down streets of empty towns. Or walking in tall elephant grass for the sight of some clever beast which refuses to come out of its lair, in this searing heat! for a photo shoot opportunity!

Even the wife, the kids and the natives are not that mad!!

Sorry the picture of this good ol' brit is my OH!...Less said...

As to all the advice given by La Mère Patrie!(the nanny state) it is more or less what my grandparents used to tell me when on holidays with them.

We had free run to the garden to eat the newly ripened tomatoes straight of the vines, climb up the peach and plum trees to get the juiciest ones.

Unlimited supply of water from the well for water fights...

My grandfathers would go fishing to their favorite spot which was well protected by the sun from forests of poplar trees. And I can't think of anything much less energetic than sitting on the bank of a river waiting for a not so dum fish to be caught... Once they'd had enough of waiting for this fish we'd have swimming races up and down the river. The winner had a 'diabolo fraise' at the village café, my grandfathers' excuse for an apéritif before going home to the nagging...

My grandmothers were waiting back at home, wide brim sun hat firmly pushed down on to their 'chignons' and sitting under the shade of the 'tilleul' or the 'marronnier', knitting away our winter woollies, (the complete set : tank top, jumper, bobble hat, gloves, scarf and socks!)...Thinking away for things to nag their husbands about on their return...

Oh!dear... the itchy thought of having to wear these brightly multicoloured things! We just ran away with the fishing party!....

I agree. Going out in the midday heat (these days) is just too hard on a body. Zaps your energy.

However, I must say that our guests (from Holland) spend nearly every waking moment sunning by the pool - less the maillots too! That'll keep me away.

I love a nice bronzed look, but looking like a piece of leather has never impressed me. They tell me they think the French look unhealthy with their too white skin..

However, I must say that our guests (from Holland) spend nearly every waking moment sunning by the pool -

German friends who come down a couple of times a year to stay with my neighbour can think of nothing better than spending 2 entire weeks on the beach. 

"le touriste allemand" here is the southern French version of our "Brit on holiday", socks and sandals, hat, the lot.   It's just those Anglo-Saxons, they're all the same! 

[quote]I agree. Going out in the midday heat (these days) is just too hard on a body. Zaps your energy.However, I must say that our guests (from Holland) spend nearly every waking moment sunning by the poo...[/quote]

Living in Holland it seems to me that a majority of Dutch people are totally obsessed with getting suntans...even small towns have at least one sunning parlour and here in the Hague there are scores of them.Maybe it's a status/snobbery thing as it seems to be that one gains kudos from being more brown than one's neighbour.Whether they hold coffee mornings during the Autumn to compare and display their Nether regions i couldn't say as sadly i've never been invited to one.

Rollo - Yes, these folks are really nice people, but I cannot relate to the desire to have this leathery looking skin. Not to mention the skin cancer issue. They also tell me that it is considered " the thing " to be dark tanned in Holland...

Oh well, to each his own. I have enough freckles to deal with..