tragic news

Hi everyone

I've been a regular reader and occasional contributor to these forums for more years than I care to remember and have gained so much help and inspiration while my husband and I dreamed of one day being able to buy a place in France.

In April we finally managed to find the perfect little cottage with a view of the baie de Somme; signed our compromis and opened our bank account with Caisse d'Epargne, met a builder and discussed our plans - everything was so exciting. I was just waiting until the Acte was signed to post a "We've done it!" here.

Then, out of the blue, my 49-year-old husband, Simon, died of a heart attack.

I have to continue with the purchase, which is fine - although how I will feel later this month when I return for the first time to the town we loved so much is something I can't even imagine - but mainly I'm posting this to give a couple of 'thank yous' to the organizations who have rallied round me at this awful time.

The first is Foreign Currencies Direct. The money for our purchase was already in euros, held in their account in Simon's name, and my solicitor thought it might be tied up until probate, since it was a large-ish sum. FCD pulled out all the stops to get it paid through to our French account - they were wonderful. One thinks of such organizations as just being money-making machines but I certainly saw the human side. Not only were they deeply sympathetic they DID something about it and I feel I need to give them all the credit I can and commend them to you all.

The other is Caisse d'Epargne, who have been so helpful and supportive. They guy with whom we opened our account replied immediately to my email, told me not to worry about anything, they are liaising direct with the notaire to make sure that the money is paid at the right time. Again, practical help and support - and from a bank!

At this stage, the idea that I might find myself defaulting on our contract was the last thing I needed and was the biggest worry of many.

I wish for all of you that you never find yourself in this situation, but if anything else useful comes of my experience I will post again.

Fay

Thank you all. You are all a great bunch or I wouldn't have dreamed of being able to share this. But for so many years this place has been a source of education, and enthusiasm matched with clear vision, for me that I felt I needed to give credit where it was due.

My sympathies to you at this awful time and hope you find some happiness there in the future. It makes you realise that you never know what's round the corner and should not try to wait to do something 'in the future' but try and do it now. best wishes Tina

So sorry to hear of your loss, it must have been such a shock. My husband, who's 42, has been disgnosed with a blood disorder since arriving in France which can lead to stroke/heart attack due to the thickness of his blood. Last weekend he was rushed into hospital with a blood clot in his leg. After emergency surgery he has recovered. However it does make one feel very insecure and worry about how one would deal with such a loss if things did go wrong.

I hope you manage to get through this aand come out the other side to live your life to the full.

tracy

My very deepest sympathies to you. Everything you do now in France will be a sort of tribute to your husband I think and have extra special meaning. My husband is the same age and his parents and grandparents all had heart trouble which makes me very concerned as we are hearing of so many people in the forties/early fifties dying here it makes you realise your mortality. I wish you a lot of good luck and hope you enjoy your new life in France.

Tracy, I do hope your husband is now on one of the excellent medications to alleviate his condition - I'm sure he is - and wish you many long and happy years together in France.

Fay

With such tragic news as this Fay, it is gratifying to see all the sincere and heartfelt responses you have received from many contributors to the forum. There has been a great deal of talk recently about 'bringing out the worst' in peoples' natures but I for one am happy to see that many of the regular posters have given you their condolences. Easy to say, but keep you chin up.

This is the sort of fear that hits many of us in the wee small hours and to see the courage with which you are dealing with it (and also Tracy) gives me strength.

All our thoughts are with you and if you need any help - well you know we are ALL here for you and any other members who need support.

Take care.

Fay,  my heart goes out to you.  It's something I always dread, not having much family and no children, I don't know what I would do without my husband.  One of the reasons we decided to take the gamble in our early 40's was because I was worried that so many men seem to die within a couple of year of retirement age that we wanted time to enjoy our home here in France.  This just reminds you that such a tragedy can happen at any time.

And Tracy, I hope Massimo (goodness, hope that's the right name!) makes a good recovery, his postings so often make me smile.

My condolences too.

If it is of any comfort, we have known several people who have had similar recent experiences of losing a partner - recently moved or on the point of moving, as well as those who have lived here a long time. Although things have been far from easy for any of them, all seem to have come out of the experience on the positive side.

In some cases, local anglo-french associations have been invaluable, with both moral support and assistance with all the paperwork and procedures that are necessary. People often rubbish such organisations on these forums, but it is at times like that when they prove their true worth.

Thank you all once again for your wonderful messages of support and comfort.

And yes, there is a forum member with a house just around the corner - literally (in fact it was she who indirectly helped us find our house, after responding to posts of mine on this site and the local French one). We've only met once so far, when we came over to sign our compromis, but we are in touch regularly by email. Plus there are other English and French friends nearby - we had known and loved the village for 10 years. So I won't be lonely.

Thanks again.

Fay