Has anyone stopped eating poultry?

Lori

Just curious.  I've seen ads in the newspaper recently stating

that the French Poultry farms are still safe and we should all feel

safe eating chickens, ducks and the like.

Many of my French friends have stopped buying it.  Several others

feel the worry is over done.  Whats the opinion here.  I have

always loved French chicken and hate the thought of going without it,

however, I wouldn't want to subject my family to anything...

?

In the Mayenne area all the chickens are strutting around looking up into sky and at the first sign of a bird flying by, immediately run into their sheds.

I'm waiting for the sign to go up in my village shop Affoler de l'accueil d'acheteurs.

weedon

If the sign reads incorrectly blame my translator programme

We prefer poultry to red meat so have quite a stock in the freezers currently. Good bargains this morning in Super U with chicken filets and cuisses. If people stop eating poultry will they stop eating eggs too and paté made from chicken gizzards that we all love so much.

Since I'm not into eating raw poultry anyway, I'm not particularly concerned. 

I think as long as we don't sleep with the darned things in the house, we should be safe.  Most of the humans who have been infected are actually living in close proximity to the birds.  And, since many of them are children, my guess is that their handwashing leaves a lot to be desired.  From what I've read, touching a contaminated bird and then touching your eyes/nose/mouth seems to be the main way of getting infected.

PG

Well, you have all said, pretty much, the same thing I would say. 

I expect the prices may drop a bit now and I do plan to stock up the

freezer.  Can't stand the thought of life without poultry

here.  To me, it is one of the best things to eat in France.

My French farmer neighbor said the same thing.  Until given a real

reason not to eat it, stock up and profit.  He said everyone was

becoming paranoid...

My in-laws have said that they have stopped eating chicken but will continue eating duck as it isn't the same thing. They have their own personal logic on a lot of things, but are sometimes a good barometre on french thinking. We went to Leclerc yesterday and chicken was as expensive as before but they shelves were practically empty.

I buy my chicken well past the stage of being able to sneeze on me, so I'm not particularly worried. I remember reading some expert on the BBC website who said that you would have to spend half an hour sniffing the raw carcass before you could even start to worry.

France 2 keeps showing the same picture of a man cradling a dead duck in his arms with yellow germs working up to his face. It's going to give my youngest ideas of picking up and cuddling every duck she sees.

I have noticed that with packets of chicken breasts sold in France, they are often not as clean as  I remember in the UK, with far more traces of blood on the meat. I have always given the meat a good clean in hot water to get rid of these traces.

I usually give my salad veggies a rinse in a mild dilution of Milton ( remember the story about how the Spanish "water" their veggies?) it doesn't affect the taste so I may start using this a bit more often, can't hurt can it?