World Cup

Not sure where to have put this, so sorry if its in the wrong place.

I have been talking with my two sons about the football world cup today.  I asked them now we live in France will you still support England?

'No' they both said, 'why is that' I asked, 'because Engalnd are rubbish' they both said, 'we are supporting France'  Bless!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Shame on you!   My husband is Irish, married to and English Lady (moi) his children are half English, we live in England and he would never ever support England, always Ireland.  He is true to his identity and heritage.

I am embarrassed by the mass hype of the event but then I love the togetherness it brings for a few moments.

DebyCry Out [:'(]

Cant wait for the world cup.  Dotty, your children are children at the end of the day.  I was born in England and lived there until I was eight and we moved to Wales.  My English father was very nationalistic and this of course rubbed off on me.  Although my mother is Welsh I was always getting into scrapes in school defending England.  I would get called names because I wore such a large English badge and I really dont think it is a good thing the breed nationalism into children and your attitude to them supporting france is quite right.

I now have children and although I passionately enjoy international football and supporting England, they are of course Welsh and follow Welsh rugby with the same passion.  However, I do ask them to respect my love of English footie which of course they do.  However being typically Welsh I think they have a little gloat (in secret) when England fail at football and a HUGE on when they fail at rugby

I'm with Deby about the togetherness, but not the shame[:)]

If England get knocked out I'll support France though.

I read somewhere that just about every rentable Motorhome in England was booked out for June, and that the number of fans travelling to Germany is the primary cause.

[quote user="KatieKopyKat"]I always go for Holland when England are out

(if they are there)  I always liked them in the 1970's.  I

think England are in with a good chance this year.  Last time I

looked they were second favourites.[/quote]

Blige me Katie, my kind of lady, beers watching 2 iffy teams,

knowing about Holland playing Total football in the 70's, we have an

outside chance but my thoughts are with Italy, Germany and Brazil, in

other words, nothings changed much then !!

I still have all the French World cup souvenirs that locals left at our

place after their World Cup win celebrations plus I have my England get up and a

Brazil shirt,

turncoat...what me !!  Allez les bleus.................blancs ou..............

jaunes !

I expect SB is watching the Montpellier local reserve teams match with Sete and will be back here later !

Hi Duchess,

The bit about an English lady threw me for a bit !! Hope all goes well for you ?

Seeing the post on septic tanks that you were on, made us also question

the fact that we did not have any notice in the toilets to warn our

British clients in the cottage about what to and, what not to do with a toilet on a

septic tank system. Done now.....................

As I am Australian and English but living in France, I choose in this order:

Australia because I chose to be Australian

France because I choose to live there

but I can't choose England at the moment because I can't bring myself to support players who play for Liverpool and Man Utd and I can't stand the media hype that England gets.

".....when I start speaking in this strong Catherine Zeta Jones accent."

Be still my beating heart, it gets even better, togger lover, drinks

beer and has a Catherine Zeta Jones accent.........any thing else [geek]

Come on England.... And did those feet in ancient time, Walk upon England's mountains green................

Hey Katie, I've always had a soft spot for the Dutch too, don't know why - I think I used to fancy one of their players back in the 70s - can't remember his name but I bet Miki can tell me (it wasn't Johan Croyf was it?  I think he's German)  Anyway, it's England for me, then les Bleus, naturellement.  We were in St Malo for the World Cup final in 1998 - it was brilliant.  But I do have to admit to only being a fair weather footie fan - only Euro and World Cups really.  And there's no point drinking anything other than beer..... and I don't even use a glass on those occasions.  See, football turns even the most ladylike amongst us into classless oiks[;-)]

Scarlett, we have alot in common but I must put my foot down at one rule.  Fine ale must ALWAYS be poured into a nice glass. For me 1/2 pint wider at the rim, narrower at the bottom.

Also, of course it was johan croyf you had the crush on.  Didnt we all

[quote user="Miki"][I expect SB is watching the Montpellier local reserve teams match with Sete and will be back here later !

Hi Duchess,

The bit about an English lady threw me for a bit !! Hope all goes well for you ?

Seeing the post on septic tanks that you were on, made us also question the fact that we did not have any notice in the toilets to warn our British clients in the cottage about what to and, what not to do with a toilet on a septic tank system. Done now.....................

[/quote]

Point the first.  Owing to my cultural upbringing, I always support the underdog (and thanks to Blackgang Chine, I even know where that expression comes from!), so I do my best to keep up with the heart-stoppingly thrilling career of Alloa Academics.

Point the second.  As for your tank, I hope you made the message clear.  You know, "This is a sceptic tank.  Whatever you do, it won't believe you".   Gets them every time.

Miki wrote:

Blige me Katie, my kind of lady, beers watching 2 iffy teams, knowing about Holland playing Total football in the 70's, we have an outside chance but my thoughts are with Italy, Germany and Brazil.

You forgot to mention Argentina!!!

Bedders

[quote user="KatieKopyKat"]Puleeez dont mention the argies.  They make my heart race.  I hide behind cushions.  Wouldnt it be heartbreaking to have a German/Argentian final.[:'(][/quote]

It would be the only game that I would be able to pull my hubby away from![:P] final or not;

"...Exactly, I would go out and sit on a mountain on my own."

It's alright for you, you've got lots on your doorstep, we are not blessed with much more than Mont Dol and the Mont bit is stretching the imagination some what !

[:D] [:D] [:D] [:D]

SB,

The trouble is, they would smile, even

laugh.......................................................... and

then still lob an unmentionable down the pan !

Blackgang Chine, goodness me, once went down on the chair lifty

thing, as bits were falling off the cliff face. I only wanted to get

one of this phial wotsits with all the different coloured sands,

risking life and limb doing

so.........................................bit (well lots !) of

imagination needed really at this point.....

Alloa eh, are they the wee champions of Scotland ?