Re: For the Record

[quote user="Tag"]Why did you take away his radio? Is he doing a period of penance walled up in a hermit's cave? Any other punishments inflicted such as withdrawal of food, conjugal rights etc? All just because he got banned from the LF forum?[/quote]

Definatly no conjugal rights!

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

[Dick commented]: ā€œI will expand on this if Ian agrees.ā€

Ian thinks this entire discussion should stop some time ago as it is in my opinion totally pointless and will achieve nothing (except maybe Archant reviewing the ā€œachievementsā€ of this particular forum). Thus any approval for anything to discuss this in more details does NOT meet with my approval.

I do not agree that we have any ā€œrightsā€ to determine how the forum is moderated. It is Archantā€™s forum and Archant determine how it is moderated. If somebody wants to determine how a forum is moderated then start their own with their own money ā€“ that would give them the right to determine how its run. If somebody feels they have been treated unfairly then that person should take it up appropriately in private. Things happen in life. We may agree we may not. Its life and we have to move on.

My appeal to everybody would be to move forward and lets start discussing this place called France.

Ian

[quote user="Dick Smith"]Look - I don't correct spellings except one person! Except sometimes when they are funny. [/quote]Errm - I beg to differ (or is my memory finally failing me beyond repair?) but I'm not about to go off searching for old posts to argue with you!  Whether you like it or not, Dick, you've developed a reputation as a 'spell checker'!  [img]http://bestsmileys.com/lol/10.gif[/img]

Careful of your spelling, Opas, or you'll be accused of letting Mr O use your id again!

I think that's an excellent idea - make all the people who have complained about the moderators moderators themselves and then we can see what happens!  (Me excluded - I haven't been a member for long enough and I already know I'm not wise and calm enough to do that job!)

[quote user="Deimos"]My appeal to everybody would be to move forward and lets start discussing this place called France. Ian[/quote]Well you would say that as you're still here and the situation with Miki obviously suits you.  I thought he was pretty spot on when he quoted various threads in which you had contradicted yourself, but apparently that post was removed.  Obviously you would be happy with the situation when proof of your own hyprocrisy has been removed as part of the fiasco!

[Debra wrote]: ā€œI thought he was pretty spot on when he quoted various threads in which you had contradicted yourself, but apparently that post was removed. Obviously you would be happy with the situation when proof of your own hyprocrisy has been removed as part of the fiasco!ā€

To my mind, whether he was or was not is totally irrelevant. I am not aware that it was his job to criticise other posters publicly. Not relevant to the forum, etc.

When oh when it this going to stop. Maybe Iā€™m prolonging it by posting, so maybe I should shut-up.

Ian

No, Opas, I thought that after years of abuse from your old man you might think that a slight joke at his expense was justified. This just shows me that you were in agreement with him all along...

It also means that the complaint could hardly be seen as unbiased, and so Quillan's message to me is even more - strange. Done by email, not PM, as well. I now wonder how 'official' that threat of banning was - or was it just mates sticking together?

[quote user="Dick Smith"]No, Opas, I thought that after years of abuse from your old man you might think that a slight joke at his expense was justified. This just shows me that you were in agreement with him all along...

It also means that the complaint could hardly be seen as unbiased, and so Quillan's message to me is even more - strange. Done by email, not PM, as well. I now wonder how 'official' that threat of banning was - or was it just mates sticking together?
[/quote]

No, Dick, you were gloating. And ,no I did not and do not agree with him on everything and anything. Oposites attract as the saying goes.

You would have to take up your last statement up with the powers that be , not me. Billy no mates!

quote user=Deimos To my mind, whether he was or was not is totally irrelevant. I am not aware that it was his job to criticise other posters publicly. Not relevant to the forum, etc. When oh when it this going to stop. Maybe Iā€™m prolonging it by posting, so maybe I should shut-up. Ian

How is whether he was spot on irrelevant when it was apparently that post and your complaint that started all this?  As far as I know, nobody on the forum has a problem with criticising other posters if they believe they are in the wrong or spot that they have posted different opinions on different threads - very relevant to the forum since it is an important knowledge base.  One of the things I'm not keen on about other fora is the fact that incorrect information is left standing for future browsers to see and perhaps act incorrectly based upon this incorrect content.  I've always found this forum to be the most reliable for serious and correct information and Miki always seems to be one of those most ready to provide this.

[quote user="Dick Smith"]
How do we get to be a moderator? I volunteered, and I was laughed out of court. [/quote]

Yes, I can see how that might've happened. [:-))]

[quote user="Dick Smith"]
Does anyone think I would have sent such an insulting and condescending message?
[/quote]

Yes, yes, a thousand times YES.

You don't confine patronising comments to the grammatically challenged. You are not above having a cheap dig at someone whose contribution doesn't come up to your apparently rigorous intellectual standards. A good characteristic for a moderator.

Personally, I think Tresco would make an excellent moderator.

Odd - this thread no longer appears when I click on 'active' - and when I find it on the list, it shows the last addition to it being by Owens88 at 1.22 today (I guess that's AM and why its way down on the list).  Is this what happens when a thread is about to disappear??

[quote user="Debra"]3 according to Gay in this thread and 'the number' according to the message to Miki - and I don't think the person he was debating with made 3 complaints so were there really 3?  Who knows......[/quote]

I do Debra, because all the complaints are logged. Frankly you can analyze the letter Eslier sent and go around in circles until we are all blue in the face, but again unless you had seen the file of correspondence that went before it isn't going to help much.

Next time perhaps we should Alan Sugar to do it !

PS Just seen your last two posts Debra, no that isn't how it happens. If we agreed to pull it (and none of us would do of our own volition, although Admin might) it would just disappear - in a thrice!

Well I have now read Esliers message to Miki and cannot believe that anyone acting as a Moderator on any Forum, could write such an awful and condescending letter.

It contradicts what the other Moderators have said and all along we have one Moderator saying one thing and then another saying another thing, then when that difference has been pointed out, they very quickly dismiss it and go on to mention something else and no doubt that will also be contradicted.

I can well understand why Dick Smith and all the others are finding it tough to take and Miki, well after reading that message, what would anyone do ?

Apart from the others, I don't feel that Eslier is ever going to be a decent Moderator, he/she does not have what it takes, talking down to any member shows a distinct lack of the kind of fair judgement needed to moderate a Forum properly. Perhaps a quiet word for their first message may have worked wonders ? Just a thought.

Tresco would make an excellent moderator.  She is unbiased and has put me in my place in her clever way on a number of occasions.  She is also (or used to be) always present and has all the qualities needed.  Even though I dont think she would have taken it up she would have been an excellent candidate.

By the way where is she I am getting a bit worried.

Somebody asked for some stats about the forum. I have tried to get some but it would seem the moderators do not have access to the report generator in the forum software, why I don't know but I shall ask Forum Admin.

I was supprised to see that the number of registered users on the forum at this moment in time is 79,049. I got this figure from the members list which I don't think is available to forum members. I personally think that there are nowhere near this amount of people, lets say only 10% are actually active which leaves you with 790 members.

I have then gone through this thread and counted 24 members posting, thats the number of people who have posted here, not the number of posts they have made. Please feel free to recount if you like but that was the quantity at 19:13 tonight. If my school maths serves me right then if I divide 24 by 790 then multiply by 100 I get the percentage of people who have bothered to state their position on this issue in this thread. My calculator tells me thats 3.04%, please feel free to double check. Why is this figure so low, is it because people just can't be bothered, are they frightened, I really don't know. I also have counted by hand using the active posts button that today, till the time I mentioned above, there have been 619 posts (thats the number of posts not the number of people posting) in 58 threads, this particular information is available to all so please feel free to look at it yourself.

Those who stand and watch give up their right to a voice, just as those who cant be bothered to vote in elections get what they deserve. The matter of Mike concerns those who take a part and an interest. Surely?

Someone just beat me to that question. I have been wondering what it all meant. Would it be better if more, or less, posted about your banning of Miki, or indeed are the figures relative ? Are you thinking that above a certain percentage, you would have him back, below not ? The problem as another person said, is that your Maths are a little out, well quite a lot in fact and therefore cannot be trusted. So at the end of the day, what actually was your reason for offering that post? Especially, as now we have found out that the huge figures you quote, take in folks from all over the shop and have no real meaning at all on the actual amount of members on this Forum and therefore the percentages are whacko as well.