What would our gallant French cousins post in the way of numb questions if the situation was reversed...?

Hi, this is my first post.  I have just moved into a small village in the outer hebrides.  I bought a pile of rubble but garden soil is fertile.  We will make do for the next few years.  Anyway, I went to the bakers yesterday morning and said Excuse Moi, je voudrais un grand baguette et un boule pour ma petit dejeuner.  None of them answered and carried on speaking english.  Do you think we are fitting in?

I think they would probably have a good old gallic whinge about things like cream being so thick and tasteless compared with fromage frais, and how the peasants eat disgusting objects like parsnips (cattle food) and the dreadful smell that comes out when you cut into a Cornish pasty. And how the shop assistants, doctors etc insist on speaking English. Or how you never see any white faces (no, I mustn't even think about that).

ooh Will!

Well she will be able to buy french bread but it will be as bad as the french version of Pain Anglais. If she misses that yucky casoulet stuff in a tin she will be able to find walls sausage and beens in a tin which is equaly disgusting.  If she needs any dentistry done, get it done now,she will be queueing outside the door for months just to make an appointment in the UK. Oh and do not forget to tell her to drive on the wrong side of the road!

One advantage though, she could walk into the jobcentre and apply for anyjob she feels like, not just the one she did when she left school.[blink]

[quote user="Opas"]

If she needs any dentistry done, get it done now,she will be queueing outside the door for months just to make an appointment in the UK.

[/quote]

Nice one Mrs O. The whole health thing would probably keep our hypochondriac colleagues occupied for centuries on FrancoInfo. Just to show how bizarre the situation is, I am in England at the moment, and got my annual contact lens eye examination done virtually on demand - the same thing, but more thorough, that I would have had to book up three months in advance back in France. Yet I could probably have a hip replacement done next week if I wanted.

But if she was over 50 or well-qualified, the job centre would not exactly be cooperative I guess, though maybe that sort of fonctionnaire attitude would make the French feel quite at home.

[quote user="Ty Korrigan"]Answers please.
 I want to bait my French lass with the responses as she would like to move to the U.K...
[/quote]

Alors voilà!

Moi je demanderais pourquoi vos magasins ferment à 5h pile !! surtout dans les campagnes... Pourquoi mangez-vous cette [+o(] confiture verte sur votre très bon gigot d'agneau qui est maintenant ruiné...pourquoi le seul poisson que vous mangez est toujours avec des frites et du vinaigre... pourquoi vos haricots à la sauce tomate sont si [+o(] dégueulasse!...

Pourquoi quand je vais à Shrewsbury or Canterbury or Falmouth les magasins se resemblent tous (ou presque) que je ne sais plus [8-)] où je suis... Pourquoi votre monnaie pèse si lourd dans le porte-monnaie et que mon pouvoir d'achat est si faible dans ce pays...

Pourquoi allez au pub que de telle à telle heure et quand la cloche sonne et le patron crie 'Last orders' vous vous ruez sur le bar comme sur l'or en Californie [:-))] et plus tard vous êtes méchants avec le monde... Pourquoi certains jeunes de votre pays sont si gros, d'autres si mal élevés et quand ils vont en vacances à l'étranger ils sont toujours sous l'influence de l'alcool et font des scènes avec les gens du coins surtout avec les gendarmes...

Oh la la ! y en a des questions[:$]....

[quote user="Opas"]

One advantage though, she could walk into the jobcentre and apply for anyjob she feels like, not just the one she did when she left school.[blink]

[/quote]

Mmmmm welll .................. NO [;-)]  Having worked in one for 20 odd years I can tell you that they would only really be able to apply for jobs they were qualified or had relevant experience for if that was a requirement of the employer, if the employer says " no experience neccessary" then fine but that only applies to lower end jobs usually[;-)]

This just reminded me of the number of people I saw that wanted to apply for driving jobs and when asked " have you got a clean licence?" would admit to not having a driving licence[:-))]

[quote user="Christine Animal"]

Et quoi enfin font-ils tous avec ce stuff zey call Marmite ?   [:-))]

[/quote]

Ah oui!... et ce truc qui vient de l'autre coté de la terre ...euh... Vegemite! [+o(] .... et ce truc en poudre Bisto que vous mettez sur les viandes rôties... du soit-disant jus de viande ! Bah !  ... Y en a pas besoin si vous faites un rôti comme il faut, vous avez suffisament de jus de viande pour y tremper un gros bout de pain. Yum!...

ah et Bovril.... quoique ça moi j'aime beaucoup sur une tartine bien beurrée de pain grillé tous les matins au p'tit dej' , donc une exception...

aussi pourquoi du lait dans le thé? Ah et je parle pas de votre café! du vrai jus de chaussettes!...

Rebonjour,

Why do they have le diner at 6 o'clock?  Why do they have their dessert before the cheese?  Why do they drink porto with cheese and not at apéritif comme chez nous?

What is Ploughman's Lunch?

And how do zey do wizout bidets?

Ils sont fous ces anglais.  Ils ont tous une tronche de cake.  Je ne sais pas si je vais pouvoir m'intégrer.  I miss Johnny.  Je veux ma Maman...   [:'(]

Marienonmais

[quote user="Christine Animal"]

Rebonjour,

Why do they have le diner at 6 o'clock?  Why do they have their dessert before the cheese?  Why do they drink porto with cheese and not at apéritif comme chez nous?

What is Ploughman's Lunch?

And how do zey do wizout bidets?

Ils sont fous ces anglais.  Ils ont tous une tronche de cake.  Je ne sais pas si je vais pouvoir m'intégrer.  I miss Johnny.  Je veux ma Maman...   [:'(]

Marienonmais

[/quote]

Bonjour Christine Animal (quel genre d'animal? à plume? à poil?) 

Ah oui! toutes ces questions ... Moi c'est Cloclo et Sheila qui me manque... quant à ma Maman... non...

Question intégration... c'est un peu tard pour la demander, ça fait presque 30ans que je suis ici... j'essaie de m'évader de temps en temps mais j'ai ces 2 trucs qui veulent toujours de l'argent (vous les appellez des 'students') et tant qu'ils n'auront pas grandi en adultes mon OH ne veut pas quitter sa chère vallée galloise!... [:'(] et sa Maman qui habite juste en face!...

Bon! faudrait travailler maintenant!...

J'aime bien Marienonmais... vraiment... bien que ce soit  Mademoisellenonmais...

Et Mikki  quand est-ce qu'il revient...? 

[quote user="SaligoBay"][quote user="Will "]

Frappé à droits [/quote]

I had to think about that one!   ROFL!!!!!!   [:)] 

[/quote]

Frappé à droits ?... C'est quoi ça?... et  LOL ?... et ROFL ?...

Mille excuses mais une gourde comme moi [8-)] !...