french 'shabby chic' - in france?

I've been thinking I'd eventually like my kitchen/dining room (currently a dreary old sink unit and a row of white goods, plus nice old table and chairs) to be unfitted - separate pieces of the sort you see in so many mags and shops in the UK being referred to along the lines of French shabby chic. Trouble is - where does one find such things in France? Or does it mean scouring the brocantes and then getting creative with the Farrow & Ball? Maybe Paris and Provence are a better bet for such things than Picardie....

No one else is biting, so I'll throw in the obvious one - have you tried your local depôt vente? They will have a range of secondhand furniture, much of it pre-distressed. They aren't always as cheap as you would hope, though. You can find addresses in pages jaunes. (http://www.pagesjaunes.fr/pj.cgi?).

You may also have a local Troc - similar to depôts ventes.

Good hunting/distressing/painting!

There is always Emmaus, they have a website, not that I've used or looked for it.  I think they are similar to a British charity shop.  We have several near us in Dept 79, not bought anything personally, but know many that have.  They managed to pick up some very beautiful pieces at very reasonable prices.

If you have a very big kitchen, Ikea do some very nice chunkymodern free-standing pieces.

Our kitchen wasn't big enough, and anyway, there's a reason why 'fitted' is so popular.

That was a battle I won. I don't cook, but I do clean, occasionally. 

Shabby chic is fine, in fact it's charming, but I draw the line in the kitchen.[:D]

I draw the tea in me kitchen, and I might draw the odd horse with his little sticking up ears too!

I love horses ears, they are not a bit round, are they?

I bought a lovely horse colouring book in the Isle Of Wight last week, I have nearly wore out me cranes colouring in all the grand little things! I am good at it now though, I never go outside the lines like I did when I was a young lad in County Kildare.

[kiss]

Thanks everyone. Yes, I take the point re cleaning... I get a bit carried away after my monthly fix of Country Living magazine, I think. I just had these visions of zinc-topped surfaces, toile de Jouy, wicker/wire baskets and so forth.

My left brain has however been giving serious consideration to Ikea!

When I first arrived, as a young bride, to my home in Wales (as in : my OH had decided under the royal 'WE' prorogative where we will live) I was absolutely amazed to find the farmhouse on his parents farm, which they kindly gave us to live in, had all been newly decorated by his mother to a 'French country farmhouse' style.

I was told it should make me feel that I have NEVER left France ever!... (and basically I should be grateful for it all, that she was more artistic, thoughtful etc... than I who is more of the practical/pragmatic kind...)  From the rafters to the the cellar it was just a show place as sold by the many UK lifestyle magazines of the time.  Much too good to bring in Mr Farmer's dirty wellies, children's mudpies from the garden and smelly dogs!

When my parents came to visit me, about a year or so on from my arrival at this place, both of them said: 'Your house looks very English, just like the magazines...'    I had to roll over laughing!!....

Anyway... found out very quickly that it was the most impractical thing to had to live with... Made lots of changes round it, especially to the kitchen (center of my life when the children were still around) re the ergonomics of cooking, cleaning etc... for a working farmer and his soon growing fast family...

Poor lady she was so disappointed (and still is) that I had the temerity to dismiss all her efforts. I would have needed an army of cleaners which I could ill afford then and now, unlike her who had and still has the service of a daily Mrs Mop....  I have kept a few pieces of furniture that she did give me but most of her 'French country farmhouse' idea has disappeared.

My house has now MY real maccoy French chabby-chic. Chabby as it has not been decorated for at least 20years, piles of newspapers by OH's chair, children's room with their teenage posters on the doors and all these drawings from primary school!... Mismatch of furniture from auction rooms, farmhouse auctions, charity shop... nothing too expensive that I would not cry too much over if it was in any way damaged or whatever. And the French chic is made of all the food stuff, wines etc... from my trolleydash at Auchan/Leclerc/Carrefour/Intermarché before boarding the ferry back to Blighty, 25+years of postcards from my family in France on the notice board, yards of french books on the shelves in the sitting room, all my french and english dictionaries in the study for my on-off work as a translator, the smell of french cooking (so I am told by my friends when they enter), my radio permanently on France-Inter and me talking to the 4 walls (senility setting in I reckon) in French...

So... In a nutshell the chabby chic is what you in your mind perceive to be chabby chic... whether French or not...

[quote user="Fay"]Thanks everyone. Yes, I take the point re cleaning... I get a bit carried away after my monthly fix of Country Living magazine, I think. I just had these visions of zinc-topped surfaces, toile de Jouy, wicker/wire baskets and so forth. My left brain has however been giving serious consideration to Ikea![/quote]

Fay, my OH is the messiest cook in the world. He seems to spray food around the kitchen as he cooks, so every surface gets covered. I'm not really allowed in the kitchen while he's at it, as the look on my face turns the food bad.[:@]

If you're a tidy organised person you wouldn't have this problem.

Mr F Nix. I believe you promised to bring me back a Ploughman from the Isle of White. He hasn't arrived yet.[:'(]

[quote user="Tresco"]

Mr F Nix. I believe you promised to bring me back a Ploughman from the Isle of White. He hasn't arrived yet.[:'(]

[/quote]

He lied to you, we don't have ploughmen here on The Island. We have the unemployed, the McDonalds worker and the residents of care homes. Which would you prefer?

When I was a young lad, me Mammy told me "everytime you tell a lie, a hair on your head will fall out and die" So I would never, ever tell a lie to anyone! Me hair has started paining me lately mind! I noticed that you can't get anything in the chemist for hair pain, maybe there is an opening there for someone to make a few pound!

Mrs Tresco,

I have the Ploughman wrapped up in bubble jiffy bags, he is being sent by airmail to you! The delay was caused by a terrible pullover at the shiny plough contest!

Missyetbut

What you describe is a HOME not an shabby chic interior designed house - more power to you - its what we all should have - things that work for us - and not what what it looks like. My shabby chic is what I've collected from own likes and hand downs from friends and family (I stipulated a new bed and a new oven - (but I'd have a second hand aga any day if I could but find one) ... but the rest ...... however it comes!)

Besides - shabby chic design Welsh style is nothing like French style - nor should it be. Keep up the good work - and not too much cleaning either - its just as bad again tomorrow (in London at least!!)

Oh dear I'm sure I've not really described things properly. Yes, I want a lovely homely kitchen, not all designer-y, what I DON'T want is almost any French kitchen units that I HAVE seen - all brown and twiddly with knobs on! Given the uneven walls (one of which is lovely colombage) fitted units would be tricky/wrong anyway.

I was just thinking along the lines of open shelves or a dresser, tall larder-type cupboard, open sideboard/work surface in old wood - that kind of thing...

In that eventually I need more than a sink and white goods, I was just hoping, to paraphrase William Morris, to have things that I know to be useful and believe to be beautiful. And within a tight budget, of course!

[quote user="Tresco"]

I'm not really allowed in the kitchen while he's at it, as the look on my face turns the food bad.[:@]

[/quote]

Wow! Result! So you are forced to sit serenely with a book and an apero to while away the time until your man summons you to judge his culinary efforts. Are you importing a ploughman to keep you company while your OH cooks? [6]

Hi Fay, I know exactly what you mean and that is what I want as well.  Unfortunately, our kitchen in France is not big enough to do exactly what I want to do but I would like to combine a little of both (fitted and unfitted). I would like the convenience of some work tops and the appeal of unfitted furniture and table in the centre.

I do think kitchens can be quite expensive here and when we are ready for that part of the restoration we will look at local artisans.  We have friends that have had one beautifully made a lot cheaper than going to the shops.  Perhaps you could consider the same, perhaps some worktop space a few glazed wall units and perhaps a beautiful french dresser and some other antique furniture picked up locally. Personally, I can't see where it would be difficult to clean if you have a work area. I too don't like the dark wood units that are very common here and would like a light bright kitchen so will be thinking differently on those lines perhaps painted cream units or something along those lines, don't know for sure yet, still getting ideas. Personally, wouldn't like zinc worktops but love the look I have seen here locally of a light golden limestone worktop that looks aged (have no idea of price though [Www])

Obviously, it must be comfortable and easy to clean but do love the French shabby chic look, so could not be happier owning a French house to take advantage of it. [:)]

Fay

You mentioned a "larder type cupboard". If you have the space and the kitchen lends itself to it, why not build in a proper larder/pantry. We did this when we had a very old house in Shropshire and it was wonderful. They are traditional, easy to build and you get an enormous amount of storage for your money. It's also very easy to find things as you have storage at a handy level, which isn't always the case in a traditional fitted kitchen. Personally I don't like wall cupboards, but if you have a pantry/larder you can manage without and just have some open shelving for decorative items. The general effect is unfitted but you still have the convenience of base units and worksurfaces.

That does sound lovely. But here is a photo of the worktop I mentioned and would love to have. Don't know how practical though.

[IMG]http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a120/HIF/Kitchen.jpg[/IMG].

WjT, it looks like Marble, which is very beautiful, but stains easily. I can't remember but there is a list of things my OH squirts around that made all those posh work tops useless for us. One of the worktops I liked best, would have cost half as much as the whole house[:-))]

[quote user="catalpa"] Wow! Result! So you are forced to sit serenely with a book and an apero to while away the time until your man summons you to judge his culinary efforts. [/quote]

Correct, in bad weather anyway. In good weather I am out working hard while he faffs about spraying sauces all over everything.

[quote user="catalpa"]  Are you importing a ploughman to keep you company while your OH cooks? [6] [/quote]

I'm not sure what Furry Nix intends me to do with my new ploughman. I hope he comes with full instructions [:)]

[quote user="FurryKnickers"]

Mrs Tresco,

I have the Ploughman wrapped up in bubble jiffy bags, he is being sent by airmail to you! The delay was caused by a terrible pullover at the shiny plough contest!

[/quote]

And what happened to my Ploughman's Lunch FK?

I had a total blackout, no more Windows to look out, no ploughman's lunch, no quiz.  I have to catch up, now my set up is working again...

Mrs. Tresco please let me knowif I have missed anything important   [:)]

We already did a shabby chic and vintage didn't we FK.   [;-)]