Never mind the French....it's FRANCE that's boring!

In regards to Debra's posting about her being blessed with a new pregnancy over the age of forty, she should be aware that she is very fortunate. As for the majority of women over the age of forty, falling fertility means that getting pregnant without IVF treatment is statistically unlikely, with a much higher risk of miscarriage or health problems for the baby and mother if you do.

The original posting raises some very valid points, not particualrily in connection with France, but the risk to health of retiring too early without alternative challenges, in that it can seriously reduce your life expectancy. As it has been shown through medical research that positive stress as experienced through work commitments has as much a physical as mental health benefit.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The original posting raises some very valid points, not particualrily in connection with France, but the risk to health of retiring too early without alternative challenges, in that it can seriously reduce your life expectancy.

We're medically retired - me at 40 & my hubby at 43.  I can't walk, sit, lie or move, without pain - yet I'm willing to give it a go (moving to France - not the toy boy!!).  If it works out - brilliant.  If it dosen't - at least we tried.  Not there it will be much different from life here .......... except the sun, the heat, the food, the wine, the beautiful language to brush up on, the country to explore, the new people to meet, the old friends coming to visit, the .........................  [:D]

I'll let you know in a couple of years, how it goes.

yeah i have the books and the videos (still in wrapper) and the big belly to prove that none of them have been used, but think of how many calories it took  to bye them. they just seem like a good idea at the time , still its great for hanging my clothes on................[I]

Well all I can say is I've certainly not been bored reading this. I logged on to see if there had been any further responses only to find 4 pages!!!

So, firstly, many thanks for taking the time. I'd like to comment on a few points raised...........

Firstly, no - I wasn't being provocative starting this subject, however I see I will HAVE to be provocative if I am to service a married man and a Toy boy at the same time [;-)]

Catalpa and Will ( and lots more of you ), thank you particularly for your comments. Catalpa, you have it right with the 'mental retirement' point. I spend a lot of time feeling a lack of direction and purpose which I really don't think joining clubs will address. I had many years in Sales related roles, most recently as a Sales Manager for a National company and each day was pushed and pulled in a million directions. The sense of achievement on getting it all done made it worthwhile ( also the pay packet!! )

From your responses I know that many of you are experiencing that achievement here in France in varied ways and I am happy for you. I realise how lucky I am compared to many people to have this opportunity, and reading some of your stories made me a little ashamed of my potentially 'Poor me' post!

I am glad however that the people who started to 'have a go' were quickly put in their place as I really believe this is an important subject and one which possibly needs a lot more consideration when planning your move and choosing your location.

I have been following the forum for a while now and seen how quickly new people can be scared off but thanks to the support I've had on this I plan to stay! I may even change the name to white-van-woman as someone else did earlier[:)]

The 'Troll' comment was at the end of a regular posters response as a signature, when I looked again they had removed the Troll comment, now they've changed the signature altogether. So maybe it wasn't aimed at me personally? No worries.

Finally, on a lighter note, I've not been bored today. My hubbie has been digging up his new potatoes and made a very poor potato model with the aid of some matches and a couple of cloves. Rising to the challenge, and stretching my brain I made a different model with an equally unusual potato. I am now going to work out how to put these on here as photos and maybe those of you who are feeling a little of the 'B' word and have a suitably disfigured vegetable  would like to join in? I'll be in the 'Lighter side (?) section.

Bye for now.............

Oooh thanks Pads, I'll be eagerly waiting![:-))] Sorry, you can keep the exercise bike, as I'm in the same boat as Ali, with a very similar problem I think. Although minus the wonderful husband![;-)]

Good luck Ali & good luck WVM

Edit- sorry was replying, but the phone went & this probably looks odd now! Ah well!!!

Am already married to toyboy[:D] who certainly is not the cause of my boredom.  In fact, I'm not sure boredom is the right word.  I just miss having any real challenges and more importantly other like minded people to be not bored with.  So Pads and KKK - waccy baccy in Woolies or shall we do the can-can in LeClerc.  I already speak French and work in local library - which does not even have a computerised system and I am not allowed to modernise the written one.

Good luck with your baby Debra - but have to say I agree with Opas - if I'd found myself over 40 and pregnant I think jumping off bridge would have sprung to mind let alone the tranx.  Each to their own however and I wish you happiness.

If money were no object I would spend about four months a year here in our lovely house in our peaceful village, and the rest of the time having a life somewhere else! I think what a lot of us really want is the best of both worlds - and that's mighty difficult to achieve. Another good thing about flitting back and forth would be that neither the UK nor France would lose its novelty value. For me a trip to Sainsbury's while we're back is as exciting as shopping in France was when we first came. I think maybe some people find it easy to settle in one place while others have itchy feet, and I'd put myself in the latter camp (damn, where is that athlete's foot powder...)

For us we actually could do it because I can work from anywhere via the internet (and doing that is what keeps me sane here). But we have school-age children, so we have to choose one place and live there. We've decided to move back and I agonise about it all the time (we're waiting for the house to sell). But I am 42, my husband 44 and unemployed, and deep down we KNOW we can't spend the rest of our lives living here in this village. I think more than anything I just need to be somewhere where I can communicate with people beyond smalltalk. I speak French quite well but not fluently, but often it's not the language that's the problem but a lack of any common reference point. I think it does something to you after a while when all your jokes or casual asides or whatever fall completely flat, and result in an earnest explanation of the point you were being ironic about ...

So we will move back and live in a box in the UK, with traffic and all the rest of it (tho we're not going back to London or commuting, come what may). And agonise about why we left France probably. As well as enjoying all that's on offer there[B]

Too much choice. It is a dilemma for the privileged, isn't it. I keep telling myself just to buckle down and 'bloom where you're planted'.

Jo

Jo,

I understand EXACTLY how you feel. My husband and I spend hours every day going round and round in the same circle about should we shouldn't we go back.

Good luck with your house sale and your move. Enjoy all the things you've missed and natter, joke and debate to your hearts content.

And remember.........things don't bloom if they're planted in the wrong soil ( deep eh??[;-)] )

[quote user="Jo53"]

If money were no object I would spend about four months a year here in our lovely house in our peaceful village, and the rest of the time having a life somewhere else! I think what a lot of us really want is the best of both worlds - and that's mighty difficult to achieve. Another good thing about flitting back and forth would be that neither the UK nor France would lose its novelty value. For me a trip to Sainsbury's while we're back is as exciting as shopping in France was when we first came. I think maybe some people find it easy to settle in one place while others have itchy feet, and I'd put myself in the latter camp (damn, where is that athlete's foot powder...)

For us we actually could do it because I can work from anywhere via the internet (and doing that is what keeps me sane here). But we have school-age children, so we have to choose one place and live there. We've decided to move back and I agonise about it all the time (we're waiting for the house to sell). But I am 42, my husband 44 and unemployed, and deep down we KNOW we can't spend the rest of our lives living here in this village. I think more than anything I just need to be somewhere where I can communicate with people beyond smalltalk. I speak French quite well but not fluently, but often it's not the language that's the problem but a lack of any common reference point. I think it does something to you after a while when all your jokes or casual asides or whatever fall completely flat, and result in an earnest explanation of the point you were being ironic about ...

So we will move back and live in a box in the UK, with traffic and all the rest of it (tho we're not going back to London or commuting, come what may). And agonise about why we left France probably. As well as enjoying all that's on offer there[B]

Too much choice. It is a dilemma for the privileged, isn't it. I keep telling myself just to buckle down and 'bloom where you're planted'.

Jo

[/quote]

Hi Jo

I kind of understand what you mean.  I've been here for almost a year, manage to understand and be understood by French people, but its the small talk that seems to pass me by.  I got a bit upset last week, when our phone line went down, had lots of problems trying to get France telecom out (mostly trying to make myself understood) then not being able to email or talk to anyone in English was very depressing.  I love living here and really hope to never want or need to move back to Blighty.  Not sure what the answer is though, hoping to take some French lessons soon and then going to do some apple pickinging in the autumn, so hopefully will be more confidant with my speech.

I take my hat off to you though, you have recognised you are not happy and done the brave thing by going back.  There are many out there who are too afraid.

Good luck in what ever you do.

Dotty 

[quote user="white-van-woman"]

Dotty,

There's an English speaking helpline number for France Telecom. Do you want me to dig it out for you in case you need it again?

[/quote]There isn't one of those for EDF is there?  I'd love to be able to tell them they're way out on all those estimated bills we've had!

Hope this helps!  Off to my bed now, night all x

Our English-speaking help line

France Telecom Paris has opened an 0800 number (toll-free call) intended to cater for the needs of the English-speaking community all over France.

This department is dedicated to commercial operations.

Concerning technical  problems please contact  1013 (free toll call).

Among the services offered :

- information and advice about available products and services (internet or fixed line) ;
- information and advice about billing and payment ;
- turn-on and termination of all France Telecom services for residential customers all over France (analogic and ADSL line, cable television , discount plans, services such as call waiting, caller ID,  etc...).
This service is open Monday to Saturday from 8:30 AM to 8:00 PM.

To reach this service from abroad simply dial :
+ 33 1 55 78 60 56 english speaking hotline
+ 33 1 55 78 60 34 french speaking hotline.