Whatever happened to....

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Chris, I must tell you sometime how I'm getting on with the wild flower (and weed) section sometime. It's been a thrilling time with many discoveries, but you knew that would happen all along, didn't you"

Go on then, you may as well, this thread can't drift much more.

Chris

Go on then, you may as well, this thread can't drift much more.

I've changed my mind.

Not about the 'area', but about drifting. I'm focussed, I am. On my area. (I'll pm you sometime)

I'd still like to hear more from Cassis on this subject, whatever it is.[:D]

Carry On Regardless was the 5th Carry On film - summarised as follows:

The Helping Hands agency will

tackle any job, big or small. When owner, Bert Handy, hires 6 unemployed

people and a clerk from the labour exchange, the jobs seem to become

increasingly bizarre. Chimps have to be taken for walkies, wine must be

tasted and the latest gadgets at the Ideal Home exhibition have to be

demonstrated - all with predictably disastrous results.

What happened was that "he" went "there" and then also went "there", Dick went there, and didn't like what he saw "there", but at the same time he could no longer go "there", I went "there" and also looked at "there" and came to the same conclusion as Dick.

So, there you go, Chris

[quote user="Dago"]Is this the real life-
Is this just fantasy-
Caught in a landslide-
No escape from reality-
Open your eyes
Look up to the skies and see-
Im just a poor boy,i need no sympathy[8-|][/quote]

That's Queen. I was alluding to the Sex Pistols (wasn't I?). And this is my thread & I wanna know when Trev (& why) sat on Dicks ball. And burst it, I understand.

And just how revamped is that site?

Answers on an e-postcard to Cassis, please.

Gay, were you around when this forum started? (re jonds questions on page 1)

When I joined Will, St Amour (aka Coco) and I think Dick Smith were here - there was also Deards and Maggie, Mazan was a fairly early member too - I certainly remember celebrating having 100 members!

I'm not sure if Lucy ever ran the site, Eleanor (now LF editor I think ) certainly did.

We had different software then so that you could 'butt in' to a thread..........

[quote user="Russethouse"]...I certainly remember celebrating having 100 members!...We had different software then so that you could 'butt in' to a thread..........[/quote]

I remember that different software. I read for about a year, and joined round about when it changed, I think. Before, you could 'inject' your post to reply directly to whoever you wanted, and it showed that way on the main list.

People were still complaining about the change, when I registered.[:D]

I always think 100 active members is the point where it can get to be both interesting and useful. I don't know why, because I've never been on a site with 100 active members. Some of you guys must have found it interesting and useful with less than 100 active members, though.

Some of those early members, Hardworkinghippy and Mazan spring to mind, were genuinely helpful to me in the time we spent roaming about France trying to find a house we liked. I rather liked the way you could answer on different parts of a thread, but there were disadvantages.

Sometimes someone would go back and pick up a trivial point and then the thread would never get back on course ....... er.

Hoddy

Re the 'jump in where you like' software: It was a bit bonkers. I realise that now, but at the time I had never set foot in another forum, so it seemed normal.

I remember Mazan very well. I've seen Mazan referred to recently as a man, but I always thought Mazan was a woman. I thought people assumed Mazan was a man, because she was so knowledgeable about Technical matters...

Yep, Tresco - I always thought of Mazan as female - don't know why!! Anyway, I really miss her, and her anti-chasse and techie posts. She sometimes opened up about personal stuff and said that she had a cat, so you could wander around Mazan looking for an English speaking cat owner who's been living in France for donkeys years and sorts out computers in her spare time, Lori!

Dare I say it, but I also miss TU!! Hope she's well and happy now that she's back in Blighty.

regards........zeb, who has probably been here longer than is healthy!

That's very interesting.  Wonder why people come, then go.  I miss TU too.  SB doesn't post much anymore either.  They are both so helpful and have such great personalities.  I hope they will return soon.

I don't post on any other forums (except a travel one), so perhaps people leave and go elsewhere.  It took time for me to get used to this forum.  I don't really want to adjust to any others. 

Too bad Mazan left.  As I was just in Mazan (the village) today taking my daughter to school, saw lots of people with dogs, but obviously cats stay inside or at home, so doubt I'd have any luck spotting "Mazan."  

[quote user="nicktrollope"]

[quote user="Dago"]Is this the real life-

Is this just fantasy-

Caught in a landslide-

No escape from reality-

Open your eyes

Look up to the skies and see-

Im just a poor boy,i need no sympathy[8-|][/quote]

That's Queen. I was alluding to the Sex Pistols (wasn't I?). And this is my thread & I wanna know when Trev (& why) sat on Dicks ball. And burst it, I understand.

And just how revamped is that site?

Answers on an e-postcard to Cassis, please.

[/quote]

I was just making a comment that after my first post on this topic I now have absolutely no idea what anyone is talking about and your response to my post is most likely a good indication to users here as to why new users do not hang around for long.....[:P]

[quote user="Lori"]I'm pretty new to the forum, but am curious if anyone knows whether Mazan is/was from Mazan.  The village by the same name is about 10 minutes from my house.  It is home to my daughter's college. [/quote]

I've been hanging around since pretty early on, and I can state that Mazan is/was most definitely of the male variety, and yes, I believe he did/does hail from the eponymous village.

I miss him too, also Punch, Bee, Dunkie, Jem..... and a certain young lady who used to go by the name of Abrivado, and was so much more enthusiastic back then!.........Blush [:$]

Are you saying you were Abrivado? - who I remember well. Well, her posts anyway. But indeed, I thought Abrivado was still here and posting in her new incarnation... not that she arranges flowers, you understand... [:D] Though I recollect a fondness for plastic varieties...

Hi. I'm still here but I've been re-born a few times-LOL- and have the scars to prove it[:D]  I was JEM years ago [:)] Didn't have Le Petit Manoir to rent out then, just my holiday home but we loved the area so much we got completely carried away and bought another place a few miles away.I've had a "gap " year too ( well, actually a bit of a long year !) but am back now and wondering where to go next- a bit further afield than Europe this time, not sure,still pondering[8-)]

Dunkie was alive and well last time I knew- her place in France is only a few miles away from mine !