We are in France so we must speak French...why?

Wendy

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="hastobe"][quote user="You can call me Betty"]

[quote user="Jon"]

Austalia (in population terms) is a small nation surrounded by much larger ones. France is not. Her only larger neighbour is Germany. The Netherlands, Scandinavia are also small nations and they consequently have become very adept at speaking the language of larger neighbours - it makes good business sense after all.

[/quote]

I assume that your reference to Australia as a "big" nation in linguistic terms refers to the fact that Australians speak English? I can't tot up the numbers of French speakers in the world, but I don't think it leaves France as a linguistic "also ran" by any standards.

[/quote]

Exactly - and that is what Jon was implying when he made the comparison...

[/quote]

No I wasn't. You infered something that I can't make head nor tail of.

The point was clear: Australia's regional neighbours - such as China, Japan, the Phillipines, etc have very large populations for whom the first language is not English (though I think it might be an official language in the Phillipines). Instead they speak Japanese, Mandarin, etc. Australia (an NZ) have tiny populations in comparision, so it is hardly surprising that these English speaking nations should take on the mantle of competent linguists, a behaviour that is not necessarily reflected in the dominant language nations in Europe (France, the UK, Germany, Spain, Italy) outside of those few professions that actually need to speak other languages. That's it.

Andy - I agree with you: the idea, widely held, that the Dutch can universally speak excellent English is utterly false. I had to learn Dutch to  appreciate just to what extent my collagues were winging it. The same, according to two of the few Englishmen I have ever met who can speak Nordic / Scandinavian languages is true in those parts of the world too. A lot of people try to speak English and quite a few of those can sound pretty good, but only a small number ever become truly competent. An easy language it is not.

[quote user="Just Katie "]I think this very long winded thread boils down to an opinion of Wen.  My opinion, for what it is worth lays with the majority in this instance.  Wen writes that it is courtesy to attempt to speak the language of the visitor.  That would be an awful lot of English, Dutch and German the poor French professional would need to learn.  In a very obvious nutshell, don't you think the courtesy lays with the visitor to speak the language of the country he is visiting? And, if he cannot do that as Jon has rightly said, engage through a translator.  That way your Professional could spend more time in keeping up to date with the legislation within his field.[/quote]

Amen to that Katie, common sense really. However I have an issue with your avatar. 'Wales - God's Finest'!! Heck![8-)]

Common sense?  Me?  Why thank you Mr L.[:D].  Wales is God's finest, according to the Allbright advert anyway[:D][:D].

By the way, we often get called "The Welsh" either in England or France.  I really take it as a compliment too.  However it does of course depend upon the manner in which it was said.  There you go more common sense from Katie.

No offence to Hastobe - any word can be insulting if it is used in a derogatory way, or not so if used in a friendly way, of course. That's why I find so many of the 'racism' arguments arising from things like Big Brother so perplexing. It's rather a sensitive subject with me anyway, I am proud to be English and/or British and get very annoyed when it is inferred that being English is in some way not good. I would feel the same, I am sure, if I was Welsh, just as I am proud to have Irish, Scottish, and even Norman ancestry.

Thanks Katie for being sensible (in the English sense of the word, not the French one, like me [;-)] )

[quote user="Just Katie "]

Common sense?  Me?  Why thank you Mr L.[:D].  Wales is God's finest, according to the Allbright advert anyway[:D][:D].

By the way, we often get called "The Welsh" either in England or France.  I really take it as a compliment too.  However it does of course depend upon the manner in which it was said.  There you go more common sense from Katie.

[/quote]

Don't the French call you Galles or Gallise?

These friends who insist on speaking English to me have ooodles of courtesy!  They invited me to a houseparty.  When I arrived, I drove up the long treelined drive and posters were pinned to the trees.

EVERYONE WELCOME "Ahhh how kind", I thought, on the next tree was written, "No Dogs" then the next one said "No Travellers", finally "No Welsh".  To make sure I fully understood, when I arrived at the front door, there was another notice saying "I said NO effing Welsh".

Will, I am not sensible in the French sense so I ignored it and had a wonderful time.[:D]

Hi ,

I think reading and speaking French a bit does help to integrate. However I struggle reading and writing in English.

Katie i am not sure what you mean by "je vais"  are you trying to say  "j'y vais".

Parisien

Hi everyone,

I am a parisien and get on with everyone, even the English. I don't live in paris now but as you can imagine we must be the most friendly people as so many of us want to live together. We moved to the country side to improve our English!

j'y vais!!

Parisien xx[:D]

[quote user="max"]

Katie i am not sure what you mean by "je vais"  are you trying to say  "j'y vais".

[/quote]

Sorry Max, I don't know what I mean either[blink].  You could have taken that one up with Michel Thomas who claims to have a wonderful theory of teaching language but he is sadly now deceased so I am afraid it will have to remain a mystery to us both.[:D]

If he's dead his website is not letting on - still referred to in the present tense.  If you buy any of his CDs you can find out all about his theory on teaching languages - don't get them from his site - Amazon or EBay would be best (much cheaper).