Living France Giveaway

Went on Saturday, thanks very much Living France for the tickets. First visit for 3 or 4 years, last time we were on the verge of buying our little piece of France so wa very much an informatioon gathering trip. This time no such pressures so we had a great time looking around the various stands but like Will was surprised at the lack of regional tourist boards, no Gites or Logis de France, and fewer individual artisan stands. Watched a couple of the demonstartions in the Food Theatre and listened to Philip Faiers recounting his 50 day journey along the GR10 in the Pyrenees and sampled the food at Le Gavroche. All in all an enjoyable day.

Paul

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="Coco"]Oh I'd have been disappointed if they'd cut down on the regional stands and Loire wasn't there.  As Will says, we had a fine time getting tiddled at 10.30 in the morning.  Imagine a wine tasting that early with ten wines to try!!!! [Www] And not one of them a bad one![/quote]

So good, in fact, that we had to go back for another go, if I remember rightly.

This year there seemed to be plenty of wine merchants with £15 a bottle upwards, which I am sure were very good indeed, but I did miss the Loire and similar stands which gave the chance to try the sort of wines that are good enough to enjoy but cheap enough to not have to keep for a special occasion, just the sort of thing the Loire does so well. There were a few artisans and crafts there too, but if I am honest, a bit too much of the Country Living idea of French style rather than the real thing. You need more than distressed painted furniture and chipped enamel signs to create the authentic ambience. There was some very nice oak furniture - but made in England.

• 2 weeks later...

Many thanks for the tickets, and apologies for the late reply.

Gay, I did get there on the Friday, but we (my wife and I) arrived a little late, and had to leave a bit early to beat the rush hour.

We were staying in an hotel in Greenwich, and we went by underground with me in my wheelchair.  Quite an experience - perhaps a long story for another day.  The underground system seemed to be in chaos that morning, and after eventually getting to Earls Court we found the trains to Olympia were up the creek, so we gave up and got a taxi for the last bit.

I did go to the Living France stand at about one o'clock, but the stand was almost empty with only a smartly dressed young lady, and a smartly dressed young gentleman, with both looking very formal, harrassed and busy.  Far too busy to disturb.  I hung around (or lurked) at the edge of the stand in my wheelchair for a while, but they remained busy and no one else turned up, so I left.  I returned about half an hour later, but the same happened, so I gave up.

I did enjoy the exhibition, but it seemed much smaller than before.  I was disappointed with the food, there being only a very expensive restaurant, taster restaurants for about five pounds for literally a taste of food which could not satisfy hunger, or sandwiches.  The last time we were there a few years ago there was a self service restaurant selling good hot French dishes in reasonable portions for reasonable prices, but that was not there this time.  Perhaps that was a condition of the expensive restaurants appearing there?

While I was there on the Friday, I saw only one other wheelchair user.

I was sorry to have missed you all, but perhaps next time?

Best regards,

David

Edit - I also missed the pastis stand!

[quote user="Will"]

There were a few artisans and crafts there too, but if I am honest, a bit too much of the Country Living idea of French style rather than the real thing. You need more than distressed painted furniture and chipped enamel signs to create the authentic ambience. There was some very nice oak furniture - but made in England.

[/quote]

Hey Bill, remember when, after the Loire wine tasting we discovered the "brocante" selling absolute rubbish for exhorbitant prices - buffets with broken glass panes and woodwormed backs to them.  I remember Mrs Conq attacking one such piece of furniture and almost destroying it.  It was very distressed indeed. [;-)]

re "the "brocante" selling absolute rubbish for exhorbitant prices "

I bought a little bundle of old fabrics from one of these Vive la France brocante stands, (O.K. I will admit that I have a habit of collecting / hoarding old fabics) [:$] I turned the pieces into a small wall hanging which will be displayed in an exhibition next week! (if anyone is in Surrey and wants to see the exhibition  please P.M. me for details)[:)]

[quote user="Will"]I somehow want to make a joke here about people organising a pi.. sorry, exhibition, in a brew.., sorry, vineyard. But I can't quite find the words [:D][/quote]

Might work...............

"Couldn't organise a degustation in a vinnery"