Living France Giveaway

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, I've had him a long time, he was quite fresh looking when I first got him, but I've had time to distress him now [:)]

( Actually I was taller - I'm shrinking, but I was thinking about my hair I suppose, which is fairly dark brown this week - next week it will be different, last week it was different, bl***y hairdressers !)

We went to a couple in about the late 90's or thereabouts.  We went to look at the regional stands for holiday ideas and because they were selling regional produce etc. It was really just for a day out and an excuse for a meal in a nice restaurant up town. We could just have well been going to a museum or a gallery.  We lived in Bromley so we weren't going far.  It was not because we were thinking of moving to France or buying a place (we weren't thinking of it then).

"This could be a daft question but.... ....why are you all going when you already live here, what is it about the show that makes you all so keen??? 

What am I missing out on, I've never been to one?"

JPE

It's a good day out and for those of us who have homes in both countries an excellent breath of France to brighten up the dull days of January.

I thought this year that the layout was better, more space and more small shops. I always enjoy seeing the fashion show, the string quartet were good and I had a nice lunch not to mention the tastings of free food and wine etc..

Good to meet Russethouse(again) plus Mr Russethouse and Renaud. My OH wanted to know if it was "internet dating"[:$] I told him this was the price he had to pay for a free ticket.[:)]

Hi, Yes we enjoyed it, came back with wine, cheese, bread, olives, venison sausage, Benedictine and a needle threader (don't ask !)

Where was everyone ? I thought Pads & David would be there too ? Did manage to see Eleanor (LF editor) and James (admin).

I liked it this time - good food (forgot the diet for the day) better layout, not so many totally unrelated stands.

Will post pictures over the weekend.........

Likewise, I enjoyed the show very much - thanks again to LF for the free tickets!

It was my first visit for three years, and I thought everything was much improved since then. Far more stands of genuine interest (more to buy!?), and a lot more eating/drinking/sitting down places which was a very welcome bonus.

Fascinating, and a pleasure too, to make my first face to face meeting with a forum member - the venerable Russethouse - and to have Blanche Neige identified to me as she disappeared into the distance.

I really wanted to run after you BN, and say hello,  but as I know I don't post often enough for anyone to really know my name, I thought it might seem a bit scary!  But it was nice to see you anyway - now I can put two faces to names, it's quite a strange experience!

Here are a few pics to give you an idea what its like:

[IMG]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y194/russethouse/IMG_0034.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y194/russethouse/IMG_0035.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y194/russethouse/IMG_0037.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y194/russethouse/IMG_0039.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y194/russethouse/IMG_0045.jpg[/IMG]

Many thanks for a loverly day living france, I spent to much, ate to much, and was nearly tempted into another house........................In fact a perfect day.

I did stand by the stand for a little while(with sheep on my back) to see if I could hear any one talking about the forum but I was to shy to come up and introduce my self, I could kick my self now I wish I had. I could only stay for a couple of hours as I had my animals to get home to and work to get too. It was a long 24hrs of travelling quickly getting home sorting animals and doing a 8hr night shift but well worth it.

I met the estate agent who sold us our house which was nice, had a natter with him and learnt some new things about my area i didnt know before,and came home loaded down with STUFF.....and another teach your self french book(just how many do you need before you can speak french[8-)])

So again thanks vry much and maybe next year I will come up to say hello[:$]

I went today. Some of us have to work on Fridays.

I hadn't been since the time when, just after this forum had started, several of us met up there, however many years ago that must have been. I was amazed how much smaller the 2007 exhibition was than the earlier version, and how few regional tourist boards were represented compared with then, when we spent far too long on the Loire stand, for reasons that are probably obvious. I had a very pleasant chat with Eleanor, but didn't have anything to eat or drink (apart from blagging a coffee in the press room). It was the sight of a galette du roi for £22 that put me off. I did buy a rather nice picture direct from the artist though.

Thanks Archant for the opportunity to revisit the show

Very svelte Gill !

Yes, we thought the event was smaller, but many of the missing stands seemed to be the unrelated ones, you know various credit cards and other bits and pieces. We actually preferred it but I do think some of the regional tourist boards are missed.

I particularly liked the Vin Biz stand where the competition they are running involved having significant samples of 5 wines ![:)]  The taster restaurant was pretty good too.........

PS Cassis - If one of your sausages was Venison its in our fridge [Www]

Very svelte Gill !

LOL in my dreams![:)]

I particularly liked the Vin Biz stand where the competition they are running involved having significant samples of 5 wines !

Yes I had a little tipple at Vin Biz and tonight I have used the free gadget  thing they gave out to stop the wine dripping, very effective.

JPE asks: “This could be a daft question but.... .... why are you all going when you already live here, what is it about the show that makes you all so keen???”

In the film Time Bandits, David Warner plays 'Evil' a Satan-like baddie surrounded by a crew of sycophantic minions. At one stage, after Evil has outlined his next fiendish plan a sycophant points out a flaw. Furiously Evil destroys the minion with a thunderbolt. He then pauses and remarks, “Good question though.”

So JPE asks what Evil might regard as a good question. Well, to answer, if you live the UK, it is very pleasant to get a taste of France in January (even if it is the kind of January where we already have daffodils out).

The exhibition is in two parts, the first has lots of stalls promoting the bits of France that feel they need to boost tourism, stalls selling wine, garlic, salamis, more wine, authentic enameled street signs and much else.

As Gay's photos show, there is a stage that has fashion shows and otherwise string quartets and the polite kind of rock music. Of course important attractions are the Living France and France magazines stands where lovelies in red T-shirts sign up passers-by to take out subscriptions and where you can meet the editors and journalists who write for the magazines. I was fortunate to chat to Samantha David who writes ‘Le dernier mot’ (my preferred column) and hear about her book about to be published. I also enjoyed meeting-up with another forum member who continues to give me good advice.

The second part is heavy-duty French property sales. The cost of exhibiting is pretty high so this part is dominated the large firms. It is pleasant to whiz round these, feeling profoundly grateful that I am no longer one of the cautious yet bemused folk researching their options.

So thank you Living France for the tickets.

Oh I'd have been disappointed if they'd cut down on the regional stands and Loire wasn't there.  As Will says, we had a fine time getting tiddled at 10.30 in the morning.  Imagine a wine tasting that early with ten wines to try!!!! [Www] And not one of them a bad one!