Go Back To London?

It seems that a prisoner in the hand is worth two in the bush when your country feels oppressed (rightly or wrongly). By the way I've lived in Iran and it is a great place, lovely people, but that was a long time ago, before the boondocks took over.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gee whiz, I went away for the day and come back to what was a slightly intelligent, fairly sensible thread about mosques and London which had turned into a slagging match between various people for reasons I don't quite get, even after reading all the posts.  Then, suddenly off we go on the Iranian capture of 15 soldiers.  It certainly is hard for you lot to stay on topic and not to get offended easily.  Its only a bit of fun with the internet, maybe we might learn a few new facts or perspectives. 

If you want to talk about Iranian/Uk war relations, then why not start a new thread?  I sometimes feel very much an outsider on these threads, when they suddenly warp off for two pages on something really trivial.  Why?  But I suppose, fun for some.  I am disappointed. [:(]

[quote user="TreizeVents"]  I sometimes feel very much an outsider on these threads, when they suddenly warp off for two pages on something really trivial.  Why?  But I suppose, fun for some.  I am disappointed. [:(]

[/quote]

I don't consider the subject of fifteen british sailors being held in Iran a trivial subject, TV.

Perhaps we should discuss 'friendly fire' in Iraq instead........................[:@]

TV - I'll see if we can split it up but it will probably be tomorrow if its possible.(it wouldn't be wise for me to attempt this after a glass of wine !  [:$] sorry)

PS I tried and couldn't move enough posts - its a technical thing, I'll ask another mod to take a look tomorrow

[quote user="Bugbear"]

I don't consider the subject of fifteen british sailors being held in Iran a trivial subject, TV.

Perhaps we should discuss 'friendly fire' in Iraq instead........................[:@]

[/quote]

Why do you do that Bugbear?  Do you actually, seriously, honestly think I was saying that 15 soldiers being captured inside or outside some boundary is trivial?  Nor would I claim that the hundreds of thousands of Iraqis who have died in the last four years was trivial.  Or even the Americans and others.  Ever.  I was talking about the other stuff that just sprang up on the thread.  Niggle niggle, joke joke. Anyway, the topic was not the Iraq war and British soldiers being captured, but Mosques in London.  Do you not see my point?  A little self-discipline would be a good idea.  Its not that hard, one just ignores a post  that is off topic or a little loopy, without having to say the person is a berk a jerk or a nerk.  Even if you think they are.  Is that so hard? And I am not saying YOU did it, nor that anyone else specifically did it.  So no need to get offended and attack me.  Its a kind of group dynamic that often ruins coherent threads that seem to be going somewhere, that seem to be interesting.  Suddenly they degenerate.

Its how discussions work in the real world, and how threads develop on this forum.

We are all adults, many of us have been around since the beginning of the forum. Maybe some of us won't be around much longer if we keep getting told how to use our forum and that we have to take ourselves seriously all the time. I have always come here because I enjoy it, but it just isn't fun any more..

[quote user="TreizeVents"]  I sometimes feel very much an outsider on these threads, when they suddenly warp off for two pages on something really trivial.  Why?  But I suppose, fun for some.  I am disappointed. [:(]

[/quote]

I did it TV because you said it, just read what you said..............

Regarding your other point I think it's just something that happens on most forums. A subject gets discussed and then the thread tends to drift. As Dotty has just said, it's a bit like it happens in face to face conversation.

Enjoy, summers coming............................[:)]

TV

How long are we supposed to discuss mosques in London for ? [:)]

The newpaper article turned out to be a round robin about something that may not happen ! [8-)]

The topic then evolved into something about Iran and the hostages ( granted I gave it a little nudge) but even then I don't see as the thread needs separately particularly now the thread has again been diverted into a debate about what we should post and where we should post it. [:(]

[quote user="Will"]

Its how discussions work in the real world, and how threads develop on this forum.

We are all adults, many of us have been around since the beginning of the forum. Maybe some of us won't be around much longer if we keep getting told how to use our forum and that we have to take ourselves seriously all the time. I have always come here because I enjoy it, but it just isn't fun any more..

[/quote]

I agree, Will. I'm heartily sick of people who log in and slag off. And people who can't tell the difference between a serious conversation and a jokey thread.

Right, I am off to bed.  Someone thinks this thread diversion is "natural".  Someone thinks it "evolved".  Actually every time you punch the "post" key you CHOOSE.  I guess I am slightly different to some of you, as you are from me.  I can have a conversation with some people for quite a while on the same topic.  Half an hour even.  Dozens of interchanges.  We help each other stay on topic, so we can explore it in some depth.  Even happens in meetings with several people, now and again.  In any case, my main contention is that there is too often on the list, with serious topics, a tendency to mock, without being serious.  When I criticise Dotty, its serious, not mockery and jokes.  She thinks she has no assumptions, and looks at the world with open wonder.  I think everyone has assumptions.  That's a serious comment, not a joke. 

In any case, I shall retire from this thread.  No one likes to post things and read hints that they are criticisng the "natural order", or being told they are too serious, or haven't been on the list long enough to fully grasp the "group dynamic".  I will continue to try to hold back the tide of "fun", joke, non-serious posts, but I figure it is pretty hopeless.  Do you really think that all conversations that start out seriously, MUST end with jokes, personal invective and wandering around any subject at all.  I guess I inhabit a different world.  I think that if you want to start a new thread, you should start a new thread, not divert one which is doing just fine.  You all are right, I am probably too serious. [;-)]

Sleep well.

TV

You are entitled to your opinions as we all are.  Its just you can't make sweeping statements about a persons characteristics when you don't know them. 

When one posts on here or any forum we make our thoughts public knowledge, of course not everyone is going to agree with them and we leave ourselves open to criticism.  I'm happy to have what I've said critiscised and my eyes opened to more facts on a subject.

I haven't an indepth knowledge of the churches and mosques in the world, my original post on this thread was 'what if I had enough money to build a church in an Islamic country would I be allowed'? 

[quote user="TreizeVents"]...No one likes to post things and read hints that they are criticisng the "natural order", or being told they are too serious, or haven't been on the list long enough to fully grasp the "group dynamic"...  Do you really think that all conversations that start out seriously, MUST end with jokes, personal invective and wandering around any subject at all.  I guess I inhabit a different world... You all are right, I am probably too serious.
[/quote]

TV, that's your interpretation, rather than what I think was actually said.

There are deeper issues here, referring to the running of this forum rather than you personally. It's just that referring to those issues directly results in topics being locked or the forum users concerned having their registrations terminated.

And that's the problem with this thread Will, quite often it's the second party's (readers) interpretation of what is being said that causes the problem, the writer is then 'attacked' in response and the threads degenerate into the condition on this thread - an argument, mis-interpretation of what has been posted and posturing.

And to clarify a point, this isn't 'our' forum as Will suggested in one of his messages, last time I looked it was the Living France Forum, owned by Archant, we just get to use it.  It has rules  and if a user repeatedly breaks the rules and continues to do so after being warned by the appropriate people, they are likely to have their registrations terminated.

Surely if people are so uncomfortable with the rules here they could go elsewhere though from what I hear from a Miki supporter, he has also been banned from one of the other France groups as has at least one of his supporters here. 

I certainly hope the RN people are released soon without trial, etc. However, given the posturing by Blair/Bush re: nuclear weapons/power programs , it must be said that stopping and searching a vessel so close to a disputed border was pretty stupid - pretty well inviting something to happen.

One can only wonder at the real reasons behind such actions (both UK and Iranian) - a great opportunity for conspiracy theories and a great opportunity for Blair (and the Iranians) to do some more posturing all at the cost to ordinary people's lives.

Ian

[quote user="Tony F Dordogne"]

And that's the problem with this thread Will, quite often it's the second party's (readers) interpretation of what is being said that causes the problem, the writer is then 'attacked' in response and the threads degenerate into the condition on this thread - an argument, mis-interpretation of what has been posted and posturing.

And to clarify a point, this isn't 'our' forum as Will suggested in one of his messages, last time I looked it was the Living France Forum, owned by Archant, we just get to use it.  It has rules  and if a user repeatedly breaks the rules and continues to do so after being warned by the appropriate people, they are likely to have their registrations terminated.

Surely if people are so uncomfortable with the rules here they could go elsewhere though from what I hear from a Miki supporter, he has also been banned from one of the other France groups as has at least one of his supporters here. 

[/quote]

Tony

Is it necessary to talk about people that have been banned.  You have just said its hearsay, so perhaps it would be prudent to 'check' first.  Secondly, its unfair of you to mention someones name, when they can't respond.

Dotty

[quote user="Tony F Dordogne"]

[/quote]

Firstly - how acceptable is it to criticise people who can't answer back? I don't recall you being brave enough to say all this before.

Secondly - do you mean me? If so, kindly have the bottle to say so. You have no knowledge of those circumstances, your remarks are uninformed and your words weasel.

Ahem folks, by all means discuss going back to London, mosques, Iran and the political situation.  Please do not discuss departed members.  I'm not throwing the code of conduct at you, I'm just asking, nicely.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote user="Dick Smith"]Danny - I see that you are determined to make a fool of yourself, a task at which you are succeeding quite well.

However, you seem to think that free speech is equivalent to unbridled offensiveness. It isn't, that is simply immature. Free speech requires a degree of responsibility and self-restraint. It is not to be wasted or devalued by childish posturing.

[/quote]

Absolutely correct...............