Angloinfo

What do you think of Anglofile in general? I have joined in various discussions and have had replies blocked. I then opened a thread to discuss AI in general .......that was soon taken off and now I have been blocked completely. I have demanded an explanation but to no avail. It seems as soon as a thread starts to get involving ... AI puts a stop to it. Any similar experiences out there.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please stop using bad language on this site.

The word Ang*oInf*o is deeply offensive to a lot of people on here.................[Www]

Seriously trumpet, I don't think discussing other forums is allowed on here. A mod will be along shortly to confirm or otherwise.

Very useful for buying and selling; the "official" information sheets are useful and usually accurate. Otherwise: not worth bothering with. The forum is a waste of time with many of the members providing inaccurate and / or misleading information as fact and the simply bizarre censoring actions of the admins make sensible discussion almost impossible. IMO, natch. [:P]

I speak as I find and I have found Anglo-Info Normandy as useful as any of the forums. I got a sensible answer to a query I posted there recently, while no-one on here bothered to reply to the same query at all. [:(] Not experienced enough to comment on the accusation of censoring or bizarre monitoring, but I still don't think AngloInfo deserves to be quite so comprehensively rubbished.

Someone asked for a contact or telephone number for a mobile home transporter

I cut and pasted the details of one from the pages jaunes.

I received an email from admin saying this was commercial advertising and the post had been removed

I emailed to say I was not advertising it was not my company I had only responded to the request

Did I get a reply    No

Very interesting KathyF I have tried to sell a couple of things on AI but nothing doing. I think once it leaves the front page as it were, that's it. The monitoring is Bazaar. For example if you wrote (while no-one on here bothered to reply) you would be taken off I'm sure as you dared to be disrespectful to AI.

[quote user="KathyF"]I got a sensible answer to a query I posted there recently, while no-one on here bothered to reply to the same query at all. [:(] [/quote]

Perhaps it was not a question of no-one being bothered to reply to your query on here, rather it was that no-one had any experience of your problem so could not give you a helpful reply.

Sue

I recently posted on the Brittany forum to correct a previous misleading post concerning an important healthcare matter.  In doing so, and for the purpose of accuracy and clarity, I quoted an extract from the DWP website. 

I immediately received an admin e-mail stating that my post had been deleted because being copyright, it breached their terms of use.  The e-mail went on to say that all posts must be "in my own words"....[8-)]

I e-mailed back to explain that the information was actually Crown copyright, therefore I was legally allowed to use it, but despite sending four follow-up e-mails, I have yet to receive the courtesy of a reply.

My first ever deleted post.......[:(]

Sue wrote:

"Perhaps it was not a question of no-one being bothered to reply to your query on here, rather it was that no-one had any experience of your problem so could not give you a helpful reply."

Sue, it was a simple query about how long we might have to wait to get a phone line installed now the renovations are nearly finished. I would have expected lots of people on here to know the answer, but no-one actually replied.  On AngloInfo Normandy I had 2 helpful replies the same evening and a more detailed one 3 days later with a couple of very useful tips we wouldn't have thought of.  This isn't meant as a criticism of Living France, just a defence of another forum which I felt was being unfairly criticised.

It seems to me that the AngloInfo forums are doing something rather different from both LF and Total France, which both have national rather than just regional coverage as on the AI forums. In a regional forum (and AI Normandy members seem to be strongly concentrated in the south and west of Lower Normandy) there is a much more local feel to the postings, hence, I suppose, the large number of postings in the Bring and Buy section. Perhaps this more neighbourly feel has something to do with the rapid responses to my very mundane query.

Having had no personal experience of the moderation on any of the forums, I don't feel equipped to comment on that aspect of the discussion.

someone on AI wanted a set of curtains making; I wasn't too far away so I replied, volunteering.  The post got deleted as unsolicited advertising.  I put another post on, complaining that it had been deleted without anyone asking if curtain making was, in fact, my business - that got deleted too.  The feeling I have is that if anyone complains about silly deletions they get threatened with banning!

This is simply the best forum for factual answers and sheer breadth of experience and knowledge.

It does seem as if many members gravitated here after unpleasant experiences elsewhere.

And yes, I have had the same experiences with moderators/administrators arbitrarily deleting posts: and being, thereafter, deaf to reason!

However, to be fair, the sites are totally commercial and now franchised and since they are free, well it's up to the owners to call the shots as they see fit.

A post was put on asking for accommodation in a particular area, I had done a website for a friend of a friend who lived around this area so doing my bit for both parties I replied - try www. blah blah .com these are in this area, it got removed for promoting my business! HELLO

Someone posted on AI asking for help setting up a website. I replied asking the OP to email me. No response so I posted " or don't email and I won't help"

It was removed.........................................there really are some very sad people involved in running that outfit.

Gluestick,

Does your post refer to Angloinfo or Living France?

If Living France then I would agree with you.

David

Edit - my quote did not work.  I was referring to the following post -

"This is simply the best forum for factual answers and sheer breadth of experience and knowledge.

It does seem as if many members gravitated here after unpleasant experiences elsewhere.

And yes, I have had the same experiences with moderators/administrators arbitrarily deleting posts: and being, thereafter, deaf to reason!

However, to be fair, the sites are totally commercial and now franchised and since they are free, well it's up to the owners to call the shots as they see fit."

They appear to allow non-registered businesses to list themselves in the Directory. One fellow listed in the Directory recently complained that the first thing potential customers asked was "are you registered and insured" when approaching artisans. He asked, plaintively, why wasn't ability to do the job the most important thing.

Answers on a PM to... [;-)]

[quote user="David"]

Gluestick,

Does your post refer to Angloinfo or Living France?

If Living France then I would agree with you.

David

Edit - my quote did not work.  I was referring to the following post - [/quote]

Sorry, David: I was trying too hard to be circumspect and avoid naming names and breaching this forum's rules. I was also Shuttle Lagged, if there is such a thing![:D]

This is meant to refer to Living France: "This is simply the best forum for factual answers and sheer breadth of experience and knowledge.

It does seem as if many members gravitated here after unpleasant experiences elsewhere."

And this refers to the competition!

"And yes, I have had the same experiences with moderators/administrators arbitrarily deleting posts: and being, thereafter, deaf to reason!

However, to be fair, the sites are totally commercial and now franchised and since they are free, well it's up to the owners to call the shots as they see fit."

""They appear to allow non-registered businesses to list themselves in the Directory.""

I'm not sure what "appear to" means exactly, as far as I know they are strict on asking for a siret or other registration before advertising in the directory, guess I could be wrong, but I'm a bit concerned about allegations without evidence, I wouldn't be too happy if it was about me.

Chris

[quote user="chris pp"]

""They appear to allow non-registered businesses to list themselves in the Directory.""

I'm not sure what "appear to" means exactly, as far as I know they are strict on asking for a siret or other registration before advertising in the directory, guess I could be wrong, but I'm a bit concerned about allegations without evidence, I wouldn't be too happy if it was about me.

Chris

[/quote]

"Appear to" means they have unregistered businesses advertising in the directory and paid-for adverts. Yes, they ask you for your SIRET number when you advertise, but it is obvious that nobody checks...

I have, in a bored moment, actually checked out the registrations of a few of my "competitors"  who advertise (paid-for)on the forum - a alarmingly high number were mis-registered (or were doing htings outside their remit) and at least 1 was not registered at all.

I have also heard from several sources that the "authorities" monitor AI (certainly Brittany) because of the number of posters seeking work illegally, or seeking illegal workers. There are several "current" ads for illegals on the forum at the moment.

Oh yes, I have identified at least 2 of the principals of AI on here...

I for one never go there anymore, BB.

I know nought about football; soap operas via Sky, am not too interested in sources for Cheddar Cheese, British Bacon, Sausages, sliced Wonderbread (YUK!),  how to cheat your Sky card, and a whole series of inane witterings masquerading as wisdom.

[:D]