The French should not be allowed to host major sporting events!

Deby

Yes, I know my statement is contentious, but in light of holding strikes whilst hosting a major sporting tournament -this is simply wrong.  Apart from making life very difficult for all those who wish to attend, it effects France's economy, fewer people spending money in restaurants, hotels and on tourism in general.  These people who are striking in the name of losing their outdated pension rights are plain selfish!

[quote user="Deby"]

Yes, I know my statement is contentious, but in light of holding strikes whilst hosting a major sporting tournament -this is simply wrong.  Apart from making life very difficult for all those who wish to attend, it effects France's economy, fewer people spending money in restaurants, hotels and on tourism in general.  These people who are striking in the name of losing their outdated pension rights are plain selfish!

[/quote]

So who's the more selfish - people wanting to protect their pensions or people who think sport is so important that everything else must make way for it?

[quote user="chrisb"][quote user="Deby"]

[/quote]

So who's the more selfish - people wanting to protect their pensions or people who think sport is so important that everything else must make way for it?

[/quote]

ChrisB,

Irrespective of the rights or wrongs of people wanting to protect their present pension rights, the fact that this week end is the cumulation of a major event hosted by France is surely reason for such protestors to do a "reality check". The RWC happens every 4 years, their country is the host nation, a weeks delay in the strike action would not have been an unrealistic move. Its not a case of pension vs sport, its a case of "my pension vs Screw the Country" ( or at least the international reputation of the Country). It will not gain more support for the protest, if anything, it will give less.

I remember around 5 years ago having a conversation with a certain French gentleman who raised the issue that he found the British to be greedy and are obsessed about the price of property.  Quite true I thought and quite cringy too.  Then I began to explain why this had occurred and that there had been smoke signals in UK with regards to the struggle with state pensions, many companies opting out of final salary and into money purchase schemes and many people becoming uneasy and investing directly into property to counteract their fears should they become reality.

I told him to do his maths and advised him to buy property.  "No" he said, "The French are not this type", he went on to argue that the French State Pension would always provide and I find it quite ironic that years later the penny is beginning to drop with the French who seem to be in a state of denial.

As for holding sporting events, I think we could pick holes in any country.  London Olympics - Iraq, football hooligans, Gordon Brown.[Www]

[quote user="Deby"]

Yes, I know my statement is contentious, but in light of holding strikes whilst hosting a major sporting tournament -this is simply wrong. [/quote]

UK is just the same, postmans strike during a major event.