Elections Municipal

PeterCD

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
We have now received our Cartes Électorales and also a circular from the incumbent Maire promoting his "team".

There is the Maire and 14 others and there are about 800 people in the commune.

Can anyone remember back six years ago and tell us what happens now. For example will these 15 people all be elected (there doesn't appear to be another team coming forward at this stage) or are we expected to vote for only a certain number depending upon the size of the commune?

Benjamin, I think your Maire is being a bit previous.  We have been told by the French electoral body in Paris that the lists don't close until Saturday, two weeks before the election and that it's possible to stand up to and including the final moment.  Also that the people at the Mairie can't use an official mailing to promote a team, here in  our commune all the 'adverts' are being delivered by hand next week so as not to infringe the rules.

Still, unless somebody wants to make an issue of it, doesn't seem to be too grave an error.

And remember, it's also the cantonal elections on the same day (well, they are in 24) which are partisan, hopefully people should have had details about the various candidates already or they will arrive next week.

[quote user="Benjamin"]
Can anyone remember back six years ago and tell us what happens now. For example will these 15 people all be elected (there doesn't appear to be another team coming forward at this stage) or are we expected to vote for only a certain number depending upon the size of the commune?

[/quote]

You are free to strike any names from the list, or add names not already on the list.  This applies equally to striking the Maire himself from the list, should you wish.

We thought we had registered to vote when we moved into the village a couple of years or so ago. (The maire asked us if we would like to be registered and we said yes and provided all our personal details etc.)  We discovered last week (when our neighbour checked) that we weren't, in fact, registered.  The elections in our commune are a bit heated as quite a number of our neighbours want the maire out - not because they dislike the maire but rather they dislike his wife.  They think she is anti-social and doesn't participate sufficiently in village life....  Said neighbours were quite miffed to find we weren't registered...  Seems its too late to register now for the forthcoming elections.

Two lists have been announced in my village.

List 1[quote]He wants village to get involved in future perspectives, with plans in the short, medium and long terms for the quality of life of the inhabitants, with reasoned expenses. « We must reverse the desertification of our territory and the disappearance of services which are linked to it », adds the candidate, who lists the creation of rental housing, building land and of implementation of land viability, of inter-generation links with the creation of space for youth and seniors, facilities in the village and hamlets and so on...

« So, the decision was made, with

the help of motivated villagers to form a team which is representative of

the social fabric, determined to act for the village in order not to remain in

a frozen pattern and to develop perspectives for the future while ensuring for the day-to-day. »[/quote]

List 2[quote]Its

goal is the realisation of a " program of ambitious but

realistic projects, reflecting the needs of the community and the aspirations of

its inhabitants, without demagogic or empty promises, and with a firm

determination to control local taxes through rigorous management. "

Its projects will be framed by three core values: " to keep people in

the village by creating conditions conducive to the settlement of young and

new families, to improve the living environment for all inhabitants and to promote economic development and maintain existing services.

" Furthermore, this team will focus on advancing projects in

keeping with the skills of the community at the heart of the

village, school...[/quote]

How can I tell them apart?[8-)]

I hope that read better in French than it does in English Clair.

Our list is planning to focus on (amongst other things and in no particular order).... 

dog poo (and the causes of dog poo)

renewable energy sources

Anyone see an overlap there, or is it just me?

Is there such a thing as postal voting in France?  To my chagrin (sorry, can't think of an English word), I find that we are away when the election takes place.  Drat, my friend is on one of the lists and I reckon that the maire ancien is on his way out!

[quote user="Cat"]Not an annual chore, just the once does the trick (unless you move house). [/quote]

That's a relief Cat, because we're keen to vote next month. Not sure who for, just so long as it isn't the current regime.

The previous Maire was 'unfrocked' for some dodgy financial practice: there were numerous letters circulated throughout the Commune from both 'clans' and he got fined and disqualified.  Since then, there's been a 91yo 'stand-in' and the kindest thing that I can say is that he's ....... well, 91.

The community desperately needs something to bind it together and instil some kind of common interest. I don't necessarily mean weekly or even monthly events, but we don't even have a Fete Votive and I don't think that there's been one for years.  No sign of a Polling Card: may have to go and ask the dragon of a Secretaire what's happening. If I never reappear on here, you now know my likely fate.