Drinking alcohol: midday and evenings.

Here's a question that's been bugging me for some time: why is it that if I have ONE drink at lunchtime/early afternoon, I quickly begin to feel woozy, and need to sleep. If I don't GET the kip I need, I'm allegedly not very nice.[;-)]

However, once evenings come, I can put it away with the best, (worst?), of 'em. No apparent ill effects, and no hangover the next day.

Is there a reason for the difference?

Interestingly the chart shows nothing from 10:00 to 14:30, maybe that's when I'm supposed to sleep then.

The 08:30 bowel movement is pretty spot on too, shame I don't get up until 09:00 [:D]

[IMG]http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p123/biskitboyo/circadian_rhythm.jpg[/IMG]

While it is clear that melatonin interacts with the immune system,[38][39] the details of those interactions are unclear. There have been few trials designed to judge the effectiveness of melatonin in disease treatment. Most existing data are based on small, incomplete clinical trials. Any positive immunological effect is thought to result from melatonin acting on high affinity receptors (MT1 and MT2) expressed in immunocompetent cells. In preclinical studies, melatonin may enhance cytokine production,[40] and by doing this counteract acquired immunodeficiences.While it is clear that melatonin interacts with the immune system,[38][39] the details of those interactions are unclear. There have been few trials designed to judge the effectiveness of melatonin in disease treatment. Most existing data are based on small, incomplete clinical trials. Any positive immunological effect is thought to result from melatonin acting on high affinity receptors (MT1 and MT2) expressed in immunocompetent cells. In preclinical studies, melatonin may enhance cytokine production,[40] and by doing this counteract acquired immunodeficiences.

Thanks Clair - all crystal clear now.

Interesting article, Clair. Melatonin has been used for yonks against jet-lag, successfully for many (not all).

The melatonin I used for insomnia did not have any good effects, I seem to remember at the time it just gave me a headache...perhaps it was a mediocre make, as it was hard to get (illegally) in the UK, or perhaps the wrong dose. So this is interesting:

Recently Circadin, a preparation of melatonin, has been approved for prescription on the NHS for people of 55 and older who have been suffering from insomnia for at least a month. Circadin is slowly released over six hours and thereby provides the body with melatonin throughout the hours of sleep.

I wonder how I could get some to try.

As for drinking at lunchtime, I went to see the Tour de France yesterday, not too far from me, in a little town which seems to boost a very large number of British immigrants and holidaymakers. It seemed that for many, part of the fun was to walk around in the crowds with a large glass of rosé in their hands (didn't see any French person doing that...).

In fact, you could play "spot the Brit" - which I didn't, of course, being part British myself, I know to show respect.[:P]

[quote user="TWINKLE"]Ummmm....the Daily Mail?[:)][/quote]

Not so, dear Twinks.  I cannot claim to have ever read the DM in my life.

Some medical kind of paper. Progesterone (the hormone produced in the second half of the mentrual cycle) has something to do with testosterone. OK, rather than writing stupidities here, I would be better off spending my time doing some proper research. Off I go.[:D]