Bringing diary products from the UK to France

Can anybody tell me if this is currently legal  please?  I thought it was, but a friend said there were signs at Limoges airport saying no.

I've looked on DEFRA's website but can't find what I'm looking for.

Thanks

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="lostinfrance"]
Do-not think can  ,but again why would you wish to.coals to Newcastle it seems to me.
[/quote]

Perhaps the original questioner wants diaries in English rather than French, with English public holidays and the like? [;-)]

There are a wide range of things which one cannot, in theory, transport between states.

We always take fresh milk with us, since we have difficulty buying any locally, at times.

We also take plants (naughty!) between gardens and often cooked meat: boiled ham, as it's so expensive and not as good in France.

Earlier this year I even took a pub-sized new bottle of CO2 for my MIG welder!

I'm sure someone would have had a total fruit, but I would have pointed out that it was a fire extinguisher!

A large one to be sure.......................................[:D]

[quote user="Gluestick"]

We also take plants (naughty!) between gardens

[/quote]

Gluestick - Are the plants naughty or are you saying we are not supposed to bring plants from the UK?  I'm naughty too if the latter is the case [:)]

[quote user="Gluestick"]We also take plants (naughty!) between gardens and often cooked meat: boiled ham, as it's so expensive and not as good in France.[/quote]

It's a good thing we're all different, Gluey! [:D] One of the things we always look forward to when we go to France is our first taste of proper French jambon, in our opinion incomparably better than most of what passes for ham in Britain. And we also haven't found it particularly expensive, though that may have changed since we were there last year. Ham is one of the things we're always tempted to take back with us to Britain.

I know, there's nowt so queer as folk......  [:D]

I'll have you know, Kathy, that Mrs Gluey's boiled gammon is renowned!

Both our French friends and our English chums living in France love it! Either served hot with white parsley sauce and new or mashed tates; or cold with salad.

I also love it gently fried with fresh farm eggs on the top, French style.

We've never found a decent bit of cured porc fumé anywhere; supermarché, bouchurie, nada.

It is rather wierd: pork is the cheapest meat in the North: beef is wonderful yet increasingly expensive and as for lamb.........................................

Yet jambon fumé is very expensive: and not that brilliant. (Too dry for my palate).

[quote user="newbiee"]

Well, slightly funny, but I wouldn't say brilliant! 

If anybody knows for sure, please let me know.

Cheers folks and enjoy the weekend. [B] [/quote]

Newbiee - They are laughing at you rather than with you.

You need to go to your original post and edit the title (the box in the top right hand side of the post) to dairy products (i.e. milk products) rather than diary products (agendas with bank hols etc).

I'm quite aware I made a typo ... but if I correct it, the joke won't make any sense to readers later on. 

What makes you think they're laughing at me rather than with me?  I think he was just making a joke based on a typing error.

[quote user="Gluestick"] I'll have you know, Kathy, that Mrs Gluey's boiled gammon is renowned! [/quote]

I'm sure it is, Gluey. [:D] But you're comparing home-made with shop-bought (which is what I thought you were referring to) and I do find that ham from the average French supermarket compares very favourably with the limp stuff so often sold as boiled ham in the UK and is (was?) definitely cheaper than comparable quality in the UK.

I've sneaked a couple of HB pencils and one of those springy things that takes staples out of paper once.  I wouldn't chance it again though as I felt like a criminal until I got clear of the port, then I waved the pencils out of the window whilst singing "I fooled you, I fooled you" to the tune of the Lonnie Donegan song Rock Island Line.

I smuggled a large quantity of asbestos back to England to be able to discard it at the local dump without paying a kings ransom to a company employing strange men wearing white space suits.

Such a quantity in fact that the transit van was coilbound, we were stopped by the Douanes who told me that actually I didnt have the right to take it out of my departement let alone out of the country, that was after they had finished laughing and shaking their heads in disbelief.

[quote user="KathyF"]

[quote user="Gluestick"] I'll have you know, Kathy, that Mrs Gluey's boiled gammon is renowned! [/quote]

I'm sure it is, Gluey. [:D] But you're comparing home-made with shop-bought (which is what I thought you were referring to) and I do find that ham from the average French supermarket compares very favourably with the limp stuff so often sold as boiled ham in the UK and is (was?) definitely cheaper than comparable quality in the UK.

[/quote]

Oh, I do agree about UK "Ham", Cathy!

We never ever eat it: too full of nasties like Nitrates and Nitrites etc, plus, of course, they make it from all the odd bits and pieces squashed together and then inject it with a whole raft of totally objectionable junk to increase weight and density, like remaindered chicken protein and large quantities of water!

All that said, we've never ever found a half-decent bit of cured smoked pork anywhere in France as I said previously.

However, we do both like the poitrine fumé: invariably bring a chunk back to UK and cut luscious thick slices for some decent tasting bacon. Far less of that awful white scum emerges when it's cooked.

[quote user="J.R "]

I smuggled a large quantity of asbestos back to England to be able to discard it at the local dump without paying a kings ransom to a company employing strange men wearing white space suits.

Such a quantity in fact that the transit van was coilbound, we were stopped by the Douanes who told me that actually I didnt have the right to take it out of my departement let alone out of the country, that was after they had finished laughing and shaking their heads in disbelief.

[/quote]

So by the side of which road in the UK did you dump it?  You certainly didn't dump it anywhere legal in the UK, you would not have got within a mile of any council dump in the last ten years with asbestos.

I am frankly amazed that you have actually boasted about doing this, are you a complete fool?[:@] Assuming that it was asbestos and how would you know anyway, how many people's lives did you put at risk on your journey with this foolhardy escapade just to save a couple of bob? 

It used to be far easier to dispose of asbestos in France than in the UK and if you removed the asbestos assuming it was asbestos, and you handled it yourself,  well more fool you, those people do not have white suits and breathing apparatus for fun.

As it's now clear what the original queston was about [:D], I can say that there seem to be no up-to-date definitive answers to the question. If you really want to know, you could try contacting the French customs (see www.douane.gouv.fr/ ) or going by the experiences of others. I have had no problem taking cheese from one country to the other through the ferry ports. I assume you are talking about small quantities for personal consumption, if you are talking about commercial imports then there are specific rules.

Get a grip people, and do some research.

The corrugated type of roof sheets commonly called "asbestos" are about as dangerous as your bathroom talcuum powder, unfortunately they are lumped in with the really dangerous "blue" asbestos which causes asbestosis. It suits the disposal industry to have things this way.

Obviously I am not sure just what JR took in his van but I will odds that it was corrugated asbestos-cement roofing. ergo- no problem.

Get a grip people.

Very true,

But better safe then sorry.

We do not have your far seeing eyes.

[quote user="lostinfrance"]

Get a grip people.

Very true,

But better safe then sorry.

We do not have your far seeing eyes.

[/quote]

Perhaps JR can tell us, then I wont have to guess, and the sarcasm can cease.

Yes corrigated roofing sheets "toles fibro's" in all probability containing no asbestos at all, I could have taken them to the dump in another commune that has special receiving facilities but as I dont pay taxes foncieres there and didnt want to ask someone else to borrow their residents pass I decided on the UK as I do pay council tax there and have the right to use the special facilities there for asbestos (or suspected asbestos products)

For your information Ron the dump was the old Crawley municipal dump that had a special skip for asbestos as long as it was double wrapped with I think 300 guage polythene and both layers sealed with box sealing tape. The new dump has even better facilities as do most of the others to my knowledge but I dont use them as I dont pay rates there.

I used the word "we" so it should be clear that I was not alone in this dreadfull deed, the van we had brought out from the UK with my furniture so we made use of the return leg to get rid of the roof sheets, however I did find that another 6 torn and open sacks had been added to my load awaiting collection which meant that I had to hurriedly find some more packing materials.

I wont hold my breath waiting for an apology Ron[:)]