Cost of staying for a month

Thanks Northender. I am actually trying to establish some simple costs to see if buying a camping car is worthwhile, given that it would be used for a minimum of three months per year.

So accommodation costs for three months of around €4500.

[quote user="woolybanana"]

Thanks Northender. I am actually trying to establish some simple costs to see if buying a camping car is worthwhile, given that it would be used for a minimum of three months per year.

So accommodation costs for three months of around €4500.[/quote]

There are basic, but comfortable and clean ** hotels not far from us which are between 38 euros and 41 euros all year round. Mostly business people stay in them; the food is good too.

And, as we are a tourist area, some B&Bs which include breakfast in the price for between 40 euros in low season to 45 euros in high season.

Sue

I suppose, Wools, if you bought a camping stove and all the accoutrements, you'd save quite a bit on meals.

Then you need to balance the cost of buying the camping car (not cheap) and all the other stuff to go in it against just going off in the car that you already own and paying for hotels and meals.

At one time, I would NEVER in a thousand years agree to going anywhere in a camping car but, now that I have the dog, I can understand the attraction of going around in one.

Mind you, I'd still have to go to a proper camp-site with showers and toilets, otherwise travelling anywhere in a camping car will lose all its attractions.

Will be interested in what you decide to do, especially if going around in a camping car is going to improve the entries in your blog............[;-)]

Wooly ..... Camping costs can be really cheap for example there is a site near me at L'Aiguillon sur mer almost on the beach for 5 euros a night ....No cafe swimming pool supermarket or anything like that  you get a loo and a shower and thats about it .....most Municipal sites 12 to 15 euros the four star Castle Camping ones with everything on site (and loads of people )  a lot more .....What about hire of a Campervan if its just for a month and if  you dont need to have the latest model. you might find a good deal    Or a very cheap and small caravan on the back of the car then get rid on Ebay after you have had your month..More comfortable than a tent for you and the dog if the heavans open ..You wont have to worry about forward booking of hotel rooms .....you could be a gypsie for a month ...Good luck with whatever you decide .

Well, yes guys, I agree with everyone. But I do need to get away now, for several months per year perhaps whilst keeping a base in the Vendée. And with the doggeroos. The old restlessness is here again but the kids want me to stay put, so the camping car is a compromise; And there is nothing to keep me looking north any more.

It is all my daughter's fault as she is getting ready to set off to parts wild and wooly, I hope. Which is what I did all my life and then stopped and she set it off again.

Besides, I have just spent the earth on JJ Norwich's books about the Norman kingdom in Sicily, and it will take months and months to follow that up on the ground.

Just as the final box was unpacked from the last move.

Damn.

Campervan anytime, Wooly. Provided you have no mechanical problems, it means you are your own boss, truly foot-loose and fancy-free. You can stop and eat whenever you like, wherever you like. Sweet is right about eating, making your own cups of hot beverage, can have naps in the afternoon if you want, there is so much more freedom involved in the campervan.

Surely, with wanderlust, the most enthralling feeling is to carry your house with you?

Caravan Wooly, not campervan.

Establish your caravan on a base camp (municipal for choice). Disappear in any direction you wish by car, park up, walk all day, back to van in evening for whatever. Repeat daily until you feel the urge to move to another base.

Backroads are less fun in a campervan, parking is more difficult. With a caravan your base is a moveable home but you still have more freedom of range with the tow car.

Have done both and the caravan wins every time.

Hi

We have a bed and breakfast in the midi pyrenees. Single cost for a bed with breakfast varies from 30 - 44 euros depending on the season.

We also offer one night free for every week booked.

Hope that helps to give you an idea of costs.

ron

wooly, have you considered something like my little Eriba ?

Sub 500kg so no Carte Grise req. (as long as you don't pack more than a toothbrush and those knitted swimming trunks you look so fetching in in it) [;-)]

[img]http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p123/biskitboyo/EribaPuck.jpg[/img]

[quote user="woolybanana"]

Ernie, I love the little Dinky toy but imagine being in that on a wet night with two far ting dogs and a duck and now, a snake.

[/quote]

Yeah, I can see how the dogs, duck and snake might object [;-)]

(a duck and a snake ???!!???)