Shocking Behaviour

rosienoo

Just read this thread.

Rosie (and Jon) - just wait until you've had a few crashes and write-offs and some key scratches won't matter so much. You will be glad to be alive and have wheels.

But God forbid that should happen to you or anyone reading this.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="opas"]I have just caught up with this thread.

I have had my French plated RHD car keyed twice , both times I know who did it!

[/quote]

Life being what it is, one dreams of revenge.

Revenge is always the weak pleasure of a little and narrow mind.(Source: Satires (XIII, 189))

No one rejoices more in revenge than woman.(Source: Satires (XIII, 191))

This is probably ging to open a can of worms but here goes nothing! There will be lots of generalisations in what follows which is just my personal view from what I have seen both in my small part of France and the UK.

Generally speaking I find drivers less aggressive in France, you have to discount that which we treat as aggressive but is often the norm in France, namely tailgating, whizzing up behind and swerving voilently to overtake within mm's of your rear bumper etc, les jeunes love to perfect that technique on the autoroutes but it does thin them out a bit in a Darwinian way.

Real aggression in a road rage type of sense, shaking fists, obscene gestures etc I have rarely seen here in France but on every occasion it has been by a (presumably stressed or mal reglé) woman in charge of a Chelsea tractor loaded with gamins mimicking perfectly the antics of the yummy-mummy bunny-boilers which clog the roads around schools in my part of theUK

These "ladies of the road" in France are far more severe and frightening than their UK counterparts, I can quite believe that they are capable of keying a car  or even un coups de couteau.[:-))]

[quote user="Sprogster"]On a more serious note, you are much more likely to be killed or seriously injured in a car crash in France than the UK. I am sure another member will enlighten us with the official statistics, but my understanding is that traffic fatalities in France are far higher than the UK.[/quote]Pages 18 and 19 of THIS REPORT    show that (in 2003, at least) France was 3rd in the table for RTAs per 1000 vehicles, but much, much lower down the scale when it came to fatalities.  The UK does rather well, I reckon.  Don't drive in Kyrgyzstan or the Russian Federation, btw!

Seriously, this is a statistical report but I suspect the imbalance between the number of RTAs and the number of fatalities is in fact more to do with the fact that the more "developed" European countries (if I may be so bold) have more modern cars per population nos and are also more aware of the advantages of wearing seat belts etc.  In my accident last year, I would certainly have been dead if I had been driving an  older car sans seatbelts/airbags/modern construction/abs etc.  In the old days I would have died in a head on collision on a 90k kpg road.  As it was, the abs worked as specified, and the engine barely moved, thus saving my life.

I can only offer the following two items relating to France:

1. The Anti-British thing I have found tends to be more Anti-English. I have always had the Scottish St.Andrews flag on our car due to my Scottish descent, not a GB, relating to the Auld Aliiance. This has always been noted in car parks and the discussions are usually always friendly.

2. Always park your car in a car park next to a more expensive car - they'll target that one first - I work on the principal if they are going to nick/damage a car it will be a better one than mine!

Sorry to hear about your experience though. There are crass persons that do this, but they exist all over the world - those who have not want to have without working for it and see anyone with what they think they they should have with jealousy.

Don't lower yourself to their standards, the world would be a poorer place if we all stole/damaged/hurt others because we wanted their goods/lives.

[quote user="Keni "]

I can only offer the following two items relating to France:

1. The Anti-British thing I have found tends to be more Anti-English. I have always had the Scottish St.Andrews flag on our car due to my Scottish descent, not a GB, relating to the Auld Aliiance. This has always been noted in car parks and the discussions are usually always friendly.

2. Always park your car in a car park next to a more expensive car - they'll target that one first - I work on the principal if they are going to nick/damage a car it will be a better one than mine!

Sorry to hear about your experience though. There are crass persons that do this, but they exist all over the world - those who have not want to have without working for it and see anyone with what they think they they should have with jealousy.

Don't lower yourself to their standards, the world would be a poorer place if we all stole/damaged/hurt others because we wanted their goods/lives.

[/quote]

How many of these morons that do this sort of damage would even have heard of the Auld Alliance.  Indeed, generally how many French or Scots know what the Auld Alliance was?  The Scottish flag in itself may help, but if you are pinning your hopes on the Auld Alliance, I feel you may be sadly disappointed.

With ubiquitous populist culture, and cultural imperialism through American movies, you would probably be better off mentioning mel Gibson and Braveheart!

In this region even French cars that do not have the region's identifier can be targeted!  The French dislike other French, particularly the Parisiennes! 

I agree with what you say - I just found it strange that it is always mentioned that we are scots, because of the flag on our car!

In the France we have met many Parisiennes who are on holiday and/or have holiday homes and are travelling about. I find from some of the British though that this is said about those from Paris, but have not yet heard it from the locals, as it were, so cannot add or negate that point. The main topic of hate in the Haute Vienne seems to be a guy from Lichenstein who has developed a beautiful area into some sort of weird park and castle, incorporating what appears to be a prison, going by the design - now his Mayburg (car) seems to be the only car everyone would like to damage, going by conversations.

[quote user="Joe"]I have just read this post about a reregisted car being illigal to drive in UK. Please tell me this is wrong.[/quote]

Assuming that you've read through the thread, then no, it is not wrong.

Let's be very clear about this (once again - it has been covered to death and beyond quite a few times). If you are a resident of France and you bring in (to France) a foreign-registered (ie non-French-registered) car then you generally have a month's grace to re-register it in France: after that time it is not legal for you to be driving the foreign-registered vehicle in France. If you then wish to drive the now-French-registered car in the UK, then as long as you are still French-resident you may do so - it is perfectly legal.

If you are UK-resident, you cannot drive a foreign-registered car in the UK (except under very specific circumstances that are unlikely to occur) - even if you own it. Unlike in France, there is no period of grace. If you wish to import a foreign-registered vehicle to the UK you are advised to have it trailered from the port of entry or else have it driven by a non-UK-resident driver. See:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/BuyingAndSellingAVehicle/ImportingAndExportingAVehicle/DG_4022583

Regards

Pickles