Bye, bye, France, it's been great

Wicce

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I have said it before and doubtless I will say it again........I am a nicer person when I am in France for that and that alone it will be worth moving there.

If I could figure out something which I could manufacture while I am there then I would be converting the barn into a workshop now!

Joking aside I hope to get some qualifications which would permit me to work a couple of weeks of the month here and spend time over there writing reports etc.

If you are finished with those rose tinted specs .....can I borrow them?

Coops you are near enough to us for us to look in on you in your dotage!

All the very best to the OP.....I suspect that once France is in the blood it may be hard to shake off entirely....is it because I am Scottish?

And now back to the grind......

[quote user="BIG MAC"]

All the very best to the OP.....I suspect that once France is in the blood it may be hard to shake off entirely....is it because I am Scottish?

And now back to the grind......

[/quote]

Yes, the b-stewards keep sending me bills even now Im living back in the UK so getting France out of your blood is defo not easy!  It was a big issue I had whilst Ive lived in France, bills seem to creep up on you and they are always huge!  This last bill sugests I should pay more in NI equiv payments than I earnt last year in France, I closed my micro in April 09!  So it means another fight to get that sorted.

[quote user="BIG MAC"]

[/quote]

Yep, it's coz you're Scottish[:D]. The missus can't wait to leave. and we've got a queue of nephews and nieces wanting to get to the UK.

NB if anyone knows of accomodation in the Newbury/Thatcham area, I've got a (very pretty!) French niece looking, already got a job lined up.

[quote user="AnOther"][quote user="5-element"]

What does "asperic" mean, please?

[/quote]I think perhaps the word was meant to acerbic [;-)] [/quote]

No it wasn't. But, me being me, I have created 'asperic'  to be a totally new grammatical form of asperity - as asperity isn't as strong as acerbity.

Sue [;-)][Www][blink]

[quote user="Chancer"]Asperity, neither in my vocabulary nor dictionary.

Is it anything to do with asparagus syndrome?[/quote]

Dunno, not heard of asparagus syndrome; wotsitmean please?

Sue [;-)] [Www] [blink]

Can't you tell how pleased I am to have my smilies back ? Courtesy of AnOther naturally !

Just dipping in here - good luck Wicce for the future.

Mentioned earlier, the problems about pensioners/older people moving and being rural abound here in the UK.

I am amazed at the big companies building retirement complexes in villages around this are that have absolutely nothing. So you are 70, buy a place in a lovely rural village, then discover you can no longer drive. There is no bus service and you can end up stuck in four walls going nowhere. Seen it with mother.

In the villages we have visited in France, there are 80/90 year olds still hanging on in the village, gardening, growing veg, getting daily meals on wheels and keeping up with the neighbours. The difference is the UK do no longer provide day care - as in the form of somewhere to go -whereas the French get on with talking to and helping each other! That's what I think the retirees from UK like about France.

"In the villages we have visited in France, there are 80/90 year olds

still hanging on in the village, gardening, growing veg, getting daily

meals on wheels and keeping up with the neighbours. The difference is

the UK do no longer provide day care - as in the form of somewhere to go

-whereas the French get on with talking to and helping each other!

That's what I think the retirees from UK like about France."

I am not sure that's the case in all French villages.

"So you are 70, buy a place in a lovely rural village, then discover you

can no longer drive. There is no bus service and you can end up stuck in

four walls going nowhere. Seen it with mother."

There are no bus services in many parts of rural France

Definitely not the case around me and there is absolutely zero neighbourly or social contact during les vacances.

Look at how many old people died during the canicule a few years ago and whose bodies were not found untill la rentrée, that was the reason for la fête des voisins although I yet to see anyone do anything remotely neighbourly on that day with the exception of my ex when she was living in Amiens.

My parents do, on " La fête des voisins" they organize a big apéro and nibbles in their local neighbourhood.

Everyone brings a  mixed salad / quiche, etc; something to drink, they put garden tables outside  and have their little do !!!

It s soon, by the way !

In the small village where I live, people still talk to each other, recently a man lent me his " coupe bordure", another one said I could get some wood from what he had cut I found that was really nice !!

I must be lucky.

Keni wrote

"whereas the French get on with talking to and helping each other! That's

what I think the retirees from UK like about France"

Keni, perhaps this is what the French do but if you are a foreigner who has not lived in the same village for most of your life and you don't speak the language well, then I think the situation may be very different.