It's going to be a photo finish - - - -!

[quote user="ausibattler"]All's quiet on the western front, but where are the betting pundits on the British General Election that will influence your lives for the next term of office!!!![/quote]

Paddypower Bookmakers odds; as of now;

Winner (Most Seats)

Conservatives 1/6

Labour     5/1

Liberal Democrats 14/1

In an earlier thread I made the following prediction: Tories overall majority of 20, Lib Dems increased seats, but only to about 75. I see nothing to change my mind and I note that the bookies are starting to come my way. I'm looking forward to saying 'I told you so' on May 7th. I can't say I'm looking forward to Cameron as PM. On May 8th he will reveal his true Thatcherite colours. Watch out for your pensions or any other benefits you may receive.

Patrick

As a someone who has never lived in the UK and therefore impartial, there is one potential upside for Brit expats in France from a Cameron victory, and that would be a probable strong rally in the £.

As for pensions what Brown has already done in raiding them, is nothing short of criminal!

Whoever wins will make Thatcher look like a pussycat by the time they have finished. Last nights debate was the only one that I was interested in because I wanted to see how they were going to deal with the economy and to be honest none of them have a clue, you only have to read the IFS report. There will have to be cuts like we have never seen before on everything within the public domain including pensions.

They talk about raising the state pension age by 1 year and removing winter allowances for people under state pension age but that does very little in the grand scheme of things, they really need to raise the state pension age by about 5 years to have any effect. Cutting health, education etc is simply not enough your going to have to take a massive axe and butcher it.

Brown has thrown money at the public sector which the UK just can't afford, I heard the figure of £3 out of every £4 but the point is nobody really knows. So whoever wins the election and I hope its Labour (they got us in this mess so they can get us out) will be sent to the wilderness for many years after its been sorted because of the cuts they will have to make. It's going to be a very dark 10 years for the UK, if it survives as it can quite easily go the same way as Greece except it will be the IMF that bails it out because it's not part of the Euro. Remember what happened to Labour last time (1967 - Wilson) we had help from the IMF, the pound devalued by around 15% and the country went tit's up (sorry) and the conditions of the loan where horrendous resulting in mass unemployment leading to massive strikes because Callaghan couldn't control the Unions. By the way they say it was Thatcher that broke the unions, she did but she was not the first to try, Wilson and Callaghan were but they failed.

[quote user="bixy"]In an earlier thread I made the following prediction: Tories overall majority of 20, Lib Dems increased seats, but only to about 75. I see nothing to change my mind and I note that the bookies are starting to come my way. I'm looking forward to saying 'I told you so' on May 7th. I can't say I'm looking forward to Cameron as PM. On May 8th he will reveal his true Thatcherite colours. Watch out for your pensions or any other benefits you may receive.Patrick [/quote]

I hope you're right, I do believe the right government could just convince the markets we have a future and if they get the poison chalice right then a second term too, I think I'd have to go with the bookies, can't believe anyone in their right mind would give Labour a mandate to carry on and that's why they have kept Gorgon, just to suffer the ignominy, Liberals may improve seats but can't believe anyone really thinks they have the Cojones to get anywhere near sorting the finances or anything else . . .

[quote user="sweet 17"]I bet of the three, Nick Clegg has the best cojones.....(whatever it is that you're talking about, JJ [:P])[/quote]

And he has the best looking wife - cause or effect ?

John

[quote user="Iceni"]
[quote user="sweet 17"]I bet of the three, Nick Clegg has the best cojones.....(whatever it is that you're talking about, JJ [:P])[/quote]
And he has the best looking wife - cause or effect ? John [/quote]

shortcoming, drained, having already given it his best shot [;-)]

Hi.

If you're one of those people who are in favour of electoral reform as a result of these debates, there are a couple of links which might be worth looking at:

If you are on Facebook:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=115125898521539

and here's the 'vote for change' website. It's very useful:

http://www.voteforachange.co.uk/pages/hang-parliament