Royal Doulton Dinner Set

CdL ..............

Before moving out here, we tried to sell our dinner set, which had cost a fortune to acquire originally.

I can't recall the two places that we tried, but if you google 'selling china plates' or something similar, you get loads of entries.

The problem that we had and that you may well encounter too, is that there's only any value in them if they have a rarity to them: otherwise, nobody is really interested in buying. Additionally, you'd have the problem of getting it back to the UK in one piece (so to speak!)  I doubt if the situation is any different over here.

I inherited a v kitsch Royal Albert "country roses" service which wasn't worth selling as nobody wants it anymore. I decided to use it for our B&B. It is absolutely adored by the french who think of English china as a cut above anything else, even though we live near Limoges,so it may be worth a punt on French EBay, with a high reserve you won't lose!

I had to just go and check on a china set that I recently bought at a boot sale in the UK, it was the comments about pre Ikea that got me thinking, I bought it because it reminded me of the past and was tellement anglais.

I then looked at some google images, whilst not Royal Doulton it is definitely the county rose design [:)]

These people have been good in the past, but you would have to get the stuff to England: http://chinasearch.co.uk/sell-to-us/

We got a good price for some rare pattern discontinued Denby before we went to France, I can't recall who bought it though. I think it might have been a lady dealer who turned up at our garage sale on spec and asked if we had any decent china.

Could have been dropped or thrown? I reckon the latter.

What is wrong with plastic plates, a carton for the milk and a bag for the sugar? If you have the table well covered, the sugar lumps can go on the cloth. Soup can stay in the saucepans as can the stew. Ooops, just been round to my old neighbours.

Oops, sorry admin.

It was my mum's set, and who knows how many pieces there were with it originally.

Apart from some slight sentimental value, I think it's one of the worst patterns ever, but then it came from the 70's.

I contacted a place in the UK and filled their form in and France was highlighted as one of their countries they deal with, so will see what happens. I costed it out based on their prices to over 600 quid, so would expect to sell it to them for half that price. If they want it of course.