Renewing a passport

Angel

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="idun"]Judith, why did you get them signed? I am not going to get mine signed, I'll look 10 years older, but isn't that 'normal'? And as long as a person looks like the same person then they don't need signing.[/quote]

'Cos we were meeting over Christmas and it seemed easier to do it "in case" as I don't have much leeway timewise with the passport running out in mid-Feb.. The annoying thing is that I was in the UK long enough last year - but a month before I could renew (ie 10 months rather than 9 months before due) - and never spent enough time after that to do it in ..... and actually I do look a bit different - it's been a hard 10 years!!!

Mine went off today - price had gone up since last week to €185 for basic adult renewal and delivery back. The mandat cash at the PO cost €7 and be warned that small village post offices don't often have the mandat forms, ours didn't so had to go tothe nearest small town that serves our canton.

[quote user="Val_2"]Mine went off today - price had gone up since last week to €185 for basic adult renewal and delivery back. The mandat cash at the PO cost €7 and be warned that small village post offices don't often have the mandat forms, ours didn't so had to go tothe nearest small town that serves our canton.[/quote]

I sent the credit card form - it seemed easier and quicker!

Judith - I looked at that credit card form and thought "what security is there" and how do you know the info will not be used by someone unscrupulous to enter your bank or not destroyed properly??. It only cost €7 for mandat cash at post office where you get a receipt and you know no one else has your bankcard details. Doing transactions online is better, most have a security net but sending just a piece of paper with all your details is far far too dangerous I feel

I seem to remember reading on here I think, that the fairly elderly (80+'s) got their passports renewed for free.

Now this isn't for me - I'm considerably younger than that!  However, my aunt has reached 81 and is using the "I need to renew my passport and I'm not long gone for this world" as a reason for not visiting us. Now of course, it may well be that she really doesn't want to visit us [;-)], but I thought that I'd check it out.

The Directgov website says that you have to have been born before 1st Sept 1929. Does anybody happen to know whether this is just a case of the site not having been updated or have the stingy so-and-so's just moved the bar?

[quote user="Angel"]Thanks for the link Norman. It was very interesting to read through. Not just a few Euro's difference with the cost then!!! It works out 74.00€ cheaper to get a passport renewed in France! Outrageous!!!![/quote]

Angel, I don't know whether I have misunderstood you.  But could you please repeat the above in a way that will make this dullard understand, SVP?

Depending on the rate of exchange there isn't really that much difference in the price for french nationals in France and UK nationals in the UK.

My good friend has an italian husband and always took an italian passport as they are or is it, were free.

We sent three passports for renewal from France on 2 January and got them back today, on the 12th - a very quick service.  But my son's one, sent separately on 16 December is still not back!

I found it useful filling out the electronic form rather than a printed one because if you try to print the former and if you have not ticked a box that was supposed to be ticked, it alerts you to it and does not let you print.

I agree with others that the website is confusing and you have to go to far too many links to get the information you need!

Like DZ, I too sent mine on 2nd Jan et voila, there in the post box this morning when I returned from shopping, 2 DHL packages, one with the old passport in and one with the new.  Dated from 6 Jan which is presumably when they received it.  So maybe 185 is not cheap, but hey, that is far faster than they said.  I'm happy, I can now plan my next UK trip knowing I've got the passport back.

As for security and credit cards - I booked a hotel for a short stay in France - and as far as I could see - no lock symbol - even though I needed a cc no to secure.  The other hotel I needed to book, I rang, she asked me to send cc details - and  - hers the rub - the 3-digit sec code - by email.  I did - but it seems to me that the French are very behind in this security lark.

Anyhow - I'm happy, got my passport, will get charged for it on my cc (and paid from the UK next month)  ..... and can plan next UK holiday - good result all round I'd say!  10 days is pretty good.

[quote user="Judith"]Like DZ, I too sent mine on 2nd Jan et voila, there in the post box this morning when I returned from shopping, 2 DHL packages, one with the old passport in and one with the new.  Dated from 6 Jan which is presumably when they received it.  So maybe 185 is not cheap, but hey, that is far faster than they said.  I'm happy, I can now plan my next UK trip knowing I've got the passport back.

As for security and credit cards - I booked a hotel for a short stay in France - and as far as I could see - no lock symbol - even though I needed a cc no to secure.  The other hotel I needed to book, I rang, she asked me to send cc details - and  - hers the rub - the 3-digit sec code - by email.  I did - but it seems to me that the French are very behind in this security lark.

Anyhow - I'm happy, got my passport, will get charged for it on my cc (and paid from the UK next month)  ..... and can plan next UK holiday - good result all round I'd say!  10 days is pretty good.

[/quote]

You are lucky it wasn't lost in the Post in this neck of the woods...

I don't totally agree about cc security in France. Many of my transactions require a second level of clearance whereby they send a code to my mobile phone that has to be entered online (into a second screen after the cc details one)  before the payment goes through. It's a bit of a nuisance but is added security.

NormanH,

Well sending a code via my mobile would be difficult - as I don't use one as such ... I am very used to using online sites to by stuff, and it is ages since I've not seen the padlock (remembered what it's called this time!) symbol in use, hence my comment.   I don;t mind not having the extra security, but some security I do, especially since it was  a well known chain of hotels ....