France gains the Nobel Prize for Economics

NormanH

A somewhat misleading title Norman dont you think?

I didnt read any more then the headline that a French economist had won the prize, maybe further down it said that it was for his stirling work formulating the hugely successfull economic Policy for the current or previous government but somehow I doubt it.

Was it DSK that won it? [6]

He was very humble when interviewed on the news at 20H tonight. He said that he was a fonctionnaire and was ready to help the government in any way he could.

The journalist tried to get him to say that everything was ticketyboo in France, but he steered clear of that, saying that some problems needed attention.

He sounded a very dull chap, monotonous voice, pity about that.

France has been pulling every political lever to try and get off this particular hook, mainly by promising jam tomorrow. Yet, when reforms are discussed, Hollands gives a great big Nyet.

If Europe lets the French off by accepting their budget, then there will be a huge loss of credibility which they can ill afford, particularly as Italy is waiting in the wings, waiting to see what happens.

[quote user="woolybanana"]

If Europe lets the French off by accepting their budget,[/quote]

But surely isn't this what EU budgets are all about.

Why tell the truth when a bit of creative accounting is considered fair game. If the truth were told probably half the member states failed the entry criteria but a bit of creativy still let them join.[6]

[quote user="Frederick"]I believe the average wage of a French worker today

is 37 Euros an hour .....for 35 hours. ... I can now see why they do not want to change ... We can expect all the shops to be open on Sundays soon as I read that's a proposal to get France into growth. ...[/quote]

Where did you get that figure from?

Insée gives for 2011: (but it won't have risen by much)

En 2011, le salaire mensuel en équivalent temps plein (EQTP) d’une

personne travaillant dans le secteur privé ou une entreprise publique

est en moyenne de 2 830 euros bruts et de 2 130  euros nets de tous

prélèvements à la source

For say 150 hours that represents just under 19€ brut  and just over 14€ net

http://www.insee.fr/fr/themes/document.asp?ref_id=ip1471