my French life on the Forum

mint

This might well be a postscript, a kind of grieving, certainly a farewell of sorts.

The first time I came on the forum, rather nervously, it was to ask a question about a house we were going to buy and, unsurprisingly, it was about the fosse.

People answered (yippeee! nothing to this internet forum stuff after all?) and gave me excellent advice.  To this day, I regret not taking that advice.  Six years later that cavalier attitude to forum advice came back to haunt me.

That seems like another life-time and, in a sense, it WAS that because we were still living in the UK and continued to do so for nearly a year after that.

More than many others, I have been the one asking questions about all sorts of things, some of which aren't even to do with living in France.  Amazingly, I have not had many posts or questions that nobody had answered.

My fondness for the forum is evident.  Just look at the number of my posts, yikes!!!  And, whilst the forum is not quite an addiction, I have, in turns, had companionship, comfort, French lessons, culture lessons, ribbings, chattings, consolings and any number of toings and froings.

I shall indeed be sorry when the interesting and knowledgeable ones have left and I wouldn't really want to be the last woman standing like some barnacle on the keel of a sinking boat.

So, to all my favourites and to those of whom I am not so enamoured, thank you for all the years of help and advice, argument and annoyance.

To Norman especially, thank you for the music.............wait, isn't that the title of some pop song[:-))]  Oh NOoooooooooo![:$] 

[quote user="mint"]certainly a farewell of sorts.[/quote]Don't be ridiculous, you can't possibly go.  Your posts have been amongst the best and most memorable.

I still remember, with pleasurable horror, that one  -  a million years ago  -  about the Guests Who Wouldn't Go Out. 

And the problems of having a Soggy Bottom.

We've all been there…

[quote user="mint"]barnacle on the keel[/quote]I haven't been able to tune in since my parameters went wonky, but I sent off for the special drivel, in order to be able to log in and say,  I hope that you cling on like a barnacle.

Tancrède, where have you been, you old fox?  Don't be offended by the familiarity, it's not meant to be disrespectful, rather a term of affection and sneaky admiration.

How I remember you for Rockingham and indeed I have just tinkled it on the piano, in fond memory of our "meeting" on the forum.

Did you ever find out about that climbing rose in your garden?

You miserable gutless lot, how can you let this die; not just because it is a huge source of information and occasionally humour and the odd row, rather like the pub, but also because it serves a serious social function.

How would I have met my feathered friend, how would Norman survive, how would all of you be able to natter about the silliness of your lives in France?

Even if Quillan has had his fill, we can keep going; I am not fit to be a moderator, Norman would make it fun, Nimt is ideal and has nothing else to do except tinkle on her piano (tinkle is Welsh for cleaning, by the way).

How would we help each other over serious stuff like the social charges issue.

And please don't suggest the other forum, it is far down the Irish bog!!

Where would Chancer be without his place to moan and groan, where Idun without her little bit of France.

Come on guys, get it together.

[quote user="woolybanana"]You miserable gutless lot, how can you let this die; not just because it is a huge source of information and occasionally humour and the odd row, rather like the pub, but also because it serves a serious social function.

How would I have met my feathered friend, how would Norman survive, how would all of you be able to natter about the silliness of your lives in France?

Even if Quillan has had his fill, we can keep going; I am not fit to be a moderator, Norman would make it fun, Nimt is ideal and has nothing else to do except tinkle on her piano (tinkle is Welsh for cleaning, by the way).

How would we help each other over serious stuff like the social charges issue.

And please don't suggest the other forum, it is far down the Irish bog!!

Where would Chancer be without his place to moan and groan, where Idun without her little bit of France.

Come on guys, get it together.[/quote]

Bravo, Wools!  That was a very good rallying cry but I thought you'd finished with the Wars in the Vendée?

But, did you see, Hoddy is still here and I don't think we need any more mods?

The forum might even benefit from a bit of laissez-faire.

Understand that it's not that I want to leave but that I don't want to stay if all the interesting people go away.

Perhaps now, we can indeed all make a bit more of an effort to keep things going.  As for squabbles, who says we can't deal with those?  Witness the result of the latest one......ho, ho!

I agree with what others have said - I can't see this forum closing down, and there's no need .

We can easily get over the different arguments and fallings out.

I was wondering whether some of the contents of the forum are still quoted in the Archant France magazine (Living France)? There used to be a few quotes each month, but I haven't bought it for ages.

Well, just in case Quillan really does pull the plug at 18h, I should like to say how much the forum has meant to me over the years, and to express my gratitude to all those who have been so generous with advice to me and to others (cos you can learn a lot from other people's questions, too!).

It's my first must-check website of each day, like dropping in on a great group of friends, who can be relied upon to be funny, informative, grouchy - and everything in between.

Oh, and it has played Cupid, too.... ?

Angela

If he pulls the plug I'll 'ave 'is nuts. Or even better, send Norman to stay with him which will put 'im right in the red with Trupadveesor.

Q. we are all concerned but having asked a lot of questions and listened to many minutes of answers when in the Pas de Calais I can sympathize with the sense of frustration that the general population feels with their main stream politicians.

However, the voters gave a severe warning; if the politicians do not listen then France and much of Europe is deep in the doodoo.

This forum at least maintains a generally acceptable level of discussion, but then we ain't France.

Many (not all) of those voting FN are those failed by the system - their general level of educational attainment is very low and they have little decent work; just the kind of people who would be attracted by the simplistic, racist crup spouted by the FN.

[quote user="mint"]Tancrède, where have you been, you old fox?[/quote]Sorry, Mint  -  I missed your post.  I am still here in my earth.  But since my removal life has been very rich and strange, and I have been absolutely overwhelmed with work.  

No sooner had I arrived here than a complete stranger presented himself at the door to ask if I would undertake to teach an EFL course under the aegis of the pôle d'emploi  -  so I had to intersperse this unexpected commitment with trying to sort out the house  -  shuffling up and down the salon floor with laine d'acier tied to my feet, and all that sort of thing.

And then several months later, in a bizarre and entertaining sequel, I found myself being appointed by the Mairie to another, different job  -  which I didn't know about and hadn't remotely applied for.  I was sitting there thinking that they had called me in to give me a row for having painting my garden door a Scandalous Colour, when they suddenly disconcertingly started asking things like, When would you be able to start ?

So one way and another I have been pretty busy.

[quote user="mint"]How I remember you for Rockingham and indeed I have just tinkled it on the piano, in fond memory of our "meeting" on the forum.[/quote]Alas, I had forgotten Rockingham;  but your words have spurred me on.  After months of neglect, I have just tuned up and bashed through a bit of Rameau.  I have just discovered the extraordinary detail that his brother Claude  -  a very respectable musician in his own right  -  was in fact buried in my garden.  Not a word was said about this at the time of the sale, despite being much more interesting than the existence of a disused asbestos pipe in the garage.

Well, Tancrède, I can't think of a word that says "impressed" but multiplied by a factor of at least ten!

How very exciting!  You see, you KNEW that that was the house for you, didn't you?  I'd give anything to have Claude Rameau buried in my garden.

I do like the piano exercises but, the way I play, it would probably be fairer to inflict my efforts on the great Jean-Philippe himself.

Must be wonderful to be gainfully or even ungainfully employed.  And all literally landing on your doorstop!

I don't know, some people have all the luck.  Must be that air of je ne sais quoi that you carry around you

Belgian Xmas is total anti-climax as the do it on the night of the 24th which is a horror, imnvho. And they separate the kids by having nasty St. Nocholas (sic) on 5th December. Bollox the whole business.

They do like to eat and booze, though. The Walloons tend to go French which is very sad except for peke or hooch;now that is a drink, pure spirits, if well brewed, quite drinkable. Though not nearly as good as wat my neibour(sic) used to get in the fin fond de la Vendee (sic) from the booze brewer down by the river in the deep woods well away from the eyes of the TVA guys....

[quote user="woolybanana"]Unlike me, Ericd who is no use to anybody. (If that doesn't wake Norman then I'll send the graverobbers in after him!)[/quote]

You might like to re-phrase that, Wools?  Or at least add a comma after Ericd?

What has poor Eric done to be called useless?............giggle, giggle.........