Yipeeeee....It's going to snow tomorrow.

ALBF wrote:

I bet that Andy has spent the whole day digging out his house in the Ardeche. LOL.

Sorry to disappoint. it did not stop until 16:00 and then there was about 5-8cm to clear - unlike around 10 days ago when we had a 35cm dump of snow in 24hrs.

"The kids want their school to close... but the school is only a 3 mins walk. So that is really not going to happen. Lol."

Is that logic? Doesn't it depend on whether the teachers also live 3 mins walk away? If no-one else can get in, it won't open specially for your kids. Maybe you will all be able to build bonhommes de neige after all.

It's so long since I built a snowman.

I read it as 'Oxted'....but that is dyslexia for you. I went to school there once. Oxted that is, not dyslexia. I think dyslexia is in America.

Live update from Tours.....no snow. Well a scattering of flocons.

Little boy woke up this morning and said "is that what you call f***** snow". LOL

I blamed the French and said that if he lived in the UK he would have proper snow. And something proper to eat for breakfast.

Croissant vs Bacon, egg, sausage, bake beans and diabetes ???? Tough one. Especially if you are hangry. lol.

Nothing wrong in an English breakfast, can be done quite healthily with grilled bacon, sausage, mushrooms and tomatoes and good scrambled or poached eggs. Mmm Yummy!

Chavs probably have it all fried ? and wags would have fresh fruit and yoghurt, I should think?. Good luck for her project ALBF.

No snow for me today but it's now forecast for tomorrow. I'd rather have snow with blue sky than this awful grey and wet we've had for around 2 months.

In Paris today, 6th February 2018 - a report on the weather from another forum:

The buses have been pulled off the roads, the RER is not running into the suburbs and trains are being cancelled. Some companies are asking employees not to come in to work tomorrow, as the commute would be too dangerous. I have never seen Paris quite like this before.

Anybody know if it really is that bad?

We have a full English breakfast for lunch or even dinner sometimes.

HATE grilled bacon, or sausage etc I NEVER grill meats or fish It's for toast,crumpet or teacakes and maybe just to finish browning something like a gratin.

British press always reckons that an inch of snow brings everything to a halt, and on the continent THAT never happens, well the Ile de France etc has had about an inch of snow and 700kms of traffic jams!!!!!

Love the snow, where it should be up int mountains.

Oh, ALBF...so as far as you are concerned, Britain is made up of people who eat a full English breakfast, chavs and wags. You really are stuck in the 1990's aren't you?

You need to update your vocabulary as well as your knowledge, although as you know everything, that'll be a tough one.

We have hipsters and millennials now. They tend to have avocado on toast, or stuff that makes a nice photo on Instagram. Breakfast bowls are all the go. Lots of chia seeds,organic muesli with healthy grains, artisan breads with spreads made from organic ingredients. Green smoothies. Vegan stuff....

I can't think of anyone over 11 who would entertain the idea of coco pops or Rice Krispies, nor anyone who would eat anything fried. Although come to think of it, there's a cafe in Shoreditch that sells only breakfast cereal. It got set on fire by those people who were camping outside St Paul's in protest against capitalism. They shot themselves in the foot a bit, because it's a small business run by two brothers who were doing it in a sort of retro/ironic way, and I don't think they have quite the same capitalist creds as Lehman Brothers. So you can eat Coco Pops as a sort of ironic thing if you are a hipster.

I wonder whatever happened to wags and chavs? I think they're extinct.

[quote user="Gardengirl "]In Paris today, 6th February 2018 - a report on the weather from another forum:

The buses have been pulled off the roads, the RER is not running into the suburbs and trains are being cancelled. Some companies are asking employees not to come in to work tomorrow, as the commute would be too dangerous. I have never seen Paris quite like this before.

Anybody know if it really is that bad?[/quote]

Yes it was that bad.

What happened is that people were advised Monday not drive to work Tuesday and rely on public transport. That is what a lot of people did but they decided Tuesday to cancel a lot of the public transport services in the afternoon. So people got stuck. Does not sound like France at all !

OH was in Paris yesterday and was intending to drive back but I said catch the train. She was stuck at Montparnasse for 4-5 hrs. She was eventually told to just get on any train. Her original train that was due to leave at 15:20 had still not left at 18:00. I think it was then cancelled.

The TGV's could only run at around half their normal speed so their were all out of sync.

Paris had record traffic jams yesterday. The N118 which is a popular route out of Paris was closed and I guess a lot of people got stuck and spent the night in their cars.

So yes, it was a big mess.

Here, we have 6-8 cms of snow. Looks all very pretty. Just wondering now if the school is open.

Reading ALBF's tales of woe regarding his OH makes me think that living out in the sticks really can have its advantages.

WE don't have to travel to any big cities - although ironically we can easily drive to the next town. There never was any public transport so we learn to not rely on it.

We are prepared that the weather might be bad sometimes and plan accordingly - freezers full; good stock of tinned foods; pasta and rice stocks high and big bags of long lasting vegetables held in cool storage - potatoes, onions, carrots.