Balanced article in English about the GJ

NormanH

Thanks for the link, Norman. I read your early comment about how it felt different to normal protests to you.

I’m not in France now, but the feeling I got last Saturday when watching events in Paris was that it was more a revolution than a protest. Reading that article made it seem more true than I had thought.

Is this perhaps leading to the beginning of the 6th republic?

Thanks for posting that, Norman.

I find it a bit odd though that the article chose to start by focusing on a single parent with four kids. I don't see her as typical of what the movement is about since a big thrust of the movement is unfair taxation and she presumably isn't a net contributor to the economy; and bringing up four kids on a low wage is going to limit your pouvoir d'achat in any country. People do have to take responsibility for their lifestyle choices, you can't lay it all on the government, Now it's very possible that it wasn't a lifestyle choice and there are good reason why she has ended up in this situation with apparently no support from the father, or life insurance as the case may be, but I feel it would be better if the article had mentioned that, or chosen a better example of which there are plenty to choose from..

Gardengirl, what made me feel most sick, watching the videos of what happened in Paris, was the soundtrack. The violence was shocking, and those carrying it out were laughing and cheering and having the time of their lives. They didn't care that people were getting injured. Mob behaviour has got hold, and now they want more of the euphoria they felt. It's hard to see how it will end well.

I agree that the personal circumstances of the first person could give rise to questions, but the important thing is what she said

“Macron’s first move in office was to slash the wealth tax for the

mega-rich while cutting money from poor people’s housing benefits,”

There may well be an economic argument for the tax reforms (he wants to divert investment in property  into investment in new-start businesses)  but the emotional arguments which are at the heart of how a politician sells his policies haven't succeeded.
That's what I meant about running the country like a business .
A business is in control of its costs without consulting its employees, whereas a politician can only take the measures that she can sell to her voters.

Le Monde today:

Quelle est l’importance des mots dans l’exercice du pouvoir ?

Cécile Alduy :

L’action politique n’est visible et intelligible que si elle est dite,

traduite et mise en récit. Seule la parole publique peut la faire

exister, en enserrant les décisions dans un discours qui leur donne un

sens, une logique, une visée. Les actes n’existent que d’être dits… Ce

que les poètes de l’Antiquité exprimaient déjà ! Pour aller vite, dire,

c’est faire, et faire sans dire, c’est ne rien faire, aux yeux du

public. Mais il y a une autre fonction de la parole politique, notamment

présidentielle : parler au nom des Français pour dire leur histoire,

mettre des mots sur leurs souffrances, leurs espoirs et leurs doutes.

Or, il semble que, depuis plusieurs mandats présidentiels, les candidats

qui avaient su se faire les porte-parole des aspirations des Français

oublient, une fois élus, cette fonction représentative et narrative.

Ummmm...no Norman.

He has used the tax to reduce the French budget deficit in accordance with EU rules.

He has done that, but at a cost to those on low, and middle class incomes.

That brings as back to the EU and Brexit.

Macron has an EU dream. Not sure anyone else shares it.

Very costly this EU business !!!

It is weird that the British could vote back in and France could end up voting out. Lets be clear, if there was a vote today in France, it would be goodbye EU !!

Assuming that the average diesel engined car consumes about 8 litres of  fuel per 100 km, for someone using their car to travel 100 km per day to work and back, the proposed increase of 6 cents in tax on diesel fuel would mean a weekly increase in fuel cost of 8 litres x 0€06 x 5 days, which is 2€.40.

That's about a glass of beer per week.

Or about 1 cigarette more per working day.

No wonder people are so upset.

We changed our car here in France recently. Talking to several garages, the "tendance" today is towards large SUVs and 4x4s, all of which consume more fuel. The diesel 406 estate we traded in regularly gave 5 l/100km. Like having kids when you are young and not working, people shold take some responsibilty for the life choices they make and not blame everything on the Government.

As an aside, one wonders at the mentality of people who cannot be bothered to potty train their kids in the UK and send them to school aged 5 for the teachers to sort out.

That's one giant aside, Lehaut.

Still, as you brought it up, allow me to regale you with a true and rather startling story of what I witnessed last week.

Shopping in Guildford, I was hurrying to meet Mr Betty for a coffee when, as I climbed up the steep high street, I saw a woman with a pushchair parked right at the entrance to Waterstones bookshop, hoisting a small girl child off a bright red plastic potty, and exclaiming loudly "Ooh, you really DID need a poo, didn't you? "

I don't know about the child, but I think I'm scarred for life.

Still wrestling with the uncomfortable question of what one does with a potty full of excrement whilst going about one's shopping.

Maybe the coverage of the GJs' activities will improve the UK's appetite for Brexit.

People are already fed up with huge EU spending on the pet projects of government officials, and on subsidising the creation of little-used new roads in countries like Spain and Bulgaria, and won't look forward to France getting into the situation of other countries, you know who, asking for bail-outs after they reduce taxes and increase pensions, benefits, and salaries.

Mrs Lehaut is still in deep shock. Walked to the local supermarket to buy a bottle of wine for Sunday. It was taken out of the basket and put back on the shelf due to the ban on selling alcohol from Friday to Monday here.

So French though, the ban did not extend to Cavists. One surmises that the GJ etc don't have the moyen to get fuel up on the good stuff.

The nappy aside was just an example of how some people thing things are everyone elses responsibiltiy but theirs. A growing phenomenon.

Every cloud has a silver lining for some.

Our Carrefour Contact just across the road is doing a roaring trade.

We usually go there around 1330, when it is quiet because of the mandatory lunchtime, but today it was really busy.

It is noticeably more expensive than the grands surfaces, but people seem to be going there in order to avoid the hassle around the ZAC's nearer town.

The police were in action yesterday because of conflicts between commerçants and GJ's blocking the entrances to the area during what were supposed to be pre-Christmas events there.

EDIT: BTW, no-one objected to the bottle of Scotch I bought[:)]