Violence....France vs UK...or any other EU country if you like.

As I said in another thread when you mentioned this, that for me it always was.

Was not too long after I got to France, that I knew people who were shot at with real guns in the city I lived in. I know because they called me in a panic and came to our appartment. And regularly there were killings on the news and in newspapers, often of maghreb kids by the police, and simply gang warfare.

My husband was even shot at, fortunately with an air rifle, so did not do much damage to a thick coat. That was strange, we were on our way to our favourite restaurant, and we heard a noise, and he said, 'I have been shot'. We were in a city, I didn't believe it, but he had. I was quite shocked the next day to see the damage.

And a few years later he chased the person who had stolen from our car, as he approached the man, the man turned on him taking a sharp instrument from his pocket, but frankly he could have easily  pulled a gun. OH wasn't hurt on that occasion either,  but that was pure luck,  and a long story to go with it.

The best is when we were on our way to see our oldest son in Northern Germany, we booked into a hotel in Metz. It was just before xmas so we went into town to visit xmas market. Had a little wander and then said we would go and have a drink. Our youngest son was with us, about 15 or 16 at the time and he said he would have another look around. We gave him some money and pointed to a cafe where he could find us.

Our drinks had only just arrived when he stormed in, face like thunder, obviously furious. 'Some lads have just tried to mug me'. There were two of them and one had a knife and pointed it at Idun-son telling him to give them  his money.

They must have seen us give him some money. What did he do, well, stood his ground and said, 'HOW DARE YOU, I have just got to your city and you are  trying to rob me, well, NO, go away before I kill you, GO!'

Believe me, when we saw him, he looked like he could have done damage to someone and these  voleurs wisely fled. He said that they were both a bit bigger than him, and probably a bit older.

If it had been his older brother, he would have either returned to us without his money, or would still have been without his money and stabbed, such was the difference between my boys.

Lot of things are not reported to the police and even if they are, they are not always properly reported, ie an english friend in his late 70's, in Paris to see the rugby and on his way back to the hotel when he was mugged and assaulted. The police took him to hospital, he received not a word from anyone ever about this, not a bill from the hospital or something from the police and he had given all his details.  It was like it had never happened.

Some things I could add, but are not mine to tell and they are awful, unless those involved are happy for their story on here or anywhere, I shall remain shtum.

So yes, France is violent. Lots of places are, I do not know if France is any more violent than other countries.  The official figures will never do 'justice' to the reality of life.

Violence, by and large in France is confined to certain areas in the cities. Here in the Pays basque there appears to be very little. No doubt there is but I never hear of it. Perhaps the odd burglary every couple of years!!

It appears to me that whenever I see the outbreaks on the T.V. It always seems to be immigrants or descendants of immigrants which, as racist as it sounds, are easily identified by the colour of their skin.

Their were the yellow vest riots a couple of years ago and the violence was mainly carried out by youngsters so disguised you couldn't tell what they were!

Yes, I would agree that France is violent but not necessarily in the context that a person is unsafe on the streets. I think generally a person is safe to walk the streets, at least as safe as anywhere in Europe anyway! The violence is mainly geared to burning cars and breaking windows, Marseille and several other cities have the huge drug problem but again the killings and gun crime are confined to the criminals.

The policing , I think is wrong. I have never thought that the way policing is carried out could ever be a success. Whatever, I'm happy I don't live in a city!!

Ken said 'I think generally a person is safe to walk the streets'

No, I don't believe that to be true. Certainly not in areas that most people live and work.

Remember violence is violence.

At home, against woman, against gay people, against religion, in a car, in a shop in a school in wherever you like.

France excels in these areas. It is violent out there.

I truly believe that France has become an unsafe country to bring up children.

BTW...I would feel less safe (at night) in rural France than urban France.

Let's face it, the majority of the french population live in specific areas, easy to see on the satellite photo below.

People move to urban areas for work, but that never means that there are not bad people in rural areas too.

Last time I went back to my old village on my own, I was staying with a friend, but had been invited for dinner at my old neighbours. All of a 10 minute walk, and before 22h my old neighbour insisted on driving me. Nothing I could say to convince him otherwise. Village with 2000 inhabitants spread over a main part to the village and several hameau up in the mountains. The commune covered a huge area.

He assured me it was safer for him to drive me...........still do not get it, but there you go.

[quote user="alittlebitfrench"]

BTW...I would feel less safe (at night) in rural France than urban France.[/quote]

You need to qualify that remark because I think it is a load of bull poo

We live in a very rural area and never have any problems. There is the occasional burglary but few and far between, only heard of one in the last 18 years and the owners were on holiday.

We can go anywhere around here any time day or night and feel perfectly safe, a lot safer than when we lived in Newcastle (UK) 45 years ago!

In 1987 we moved out of London to a town (-100.000) just over 100km away.

In London, our local (Ham & High) featured at least one murder per week. Despite razor wire and 'prison grilles' we were burgled.

In the town we moved to, the local rag, in the week after our move, featured a report of the theft of a video recorder.

When we left that area, to move to France, we again escaped reports of regular murders to the quiet of rural France. In 15 years here, we have not heard of so much as a burglary.

Ken said 'Of course it's a load of 'poo'! Patently there is a higher rate of all crime in urban and city areas. Only an immature person with little knowledge would think otherwise!

It is a load of poo if you look at it statistically. There are more people living in urban areas and are more affluent. So they have something worth nicking. That is logical.

But, if you ask farmers in rural areas if they have been a victime of crime, I bet most would say yes.

Very difficult to secure a property in rural France. Unless it is walled. There is also less/no street lighting.

When we lived rural, gendarmes were often giving talks about protecting your property from being burgled.

They said, DON'T put broken glass on top of your walls or portail. The burgular can sue you.

There are gangs that operate specifically in rural areas. But probaly more in afluent rural areas. St Arnoult is a good example. Normandy near the coast. Rural areas outside Lyon. I

Here is some stats if you like stats about crime in France.

https://www.interieur.gouv.fr/Interstats/Themes/Cambriolages/Insecurite-et-delinquance-en-2020-une-premiere-photographie-Interstats-Analyse-N-32

Thankyou ALBF, very intesting and does not surprise me.

I am wondering how many posters who live in France and especially nulle part, leave  their house doors and cars unlocked.

IF I was at home alone, and was in the garden, then the house would be locked. Our cars were never left unlocked.

Maybe I lived in the alternative France, it always seemed like it.

Look like even the French agree with you, we walked though here most weeks, when it was open, during the day. Todays paper.

J’étais tombée amoureuse de ce jardin des Fonderies », ​se souvient Gaëlle. C’était il y a presque trois ans. Aujourd’hui, la dynamique quinquagénaire a déposé une demande pour déménager et quitter l’Île de Nantes. Je n’ose plus inviter mes amis. J’ai trop honte. C’est tellement crade partout​, lâche-t-elle sans filtre. L’ambiance s’est dégradée : dealers, montée de la violence chez les jeunes, les familles qui ne respectent rien, les rats, les poubelles qui jonchent le sol. Alors que c’était un coin tellement sympa !​, s’emporte Gaëlle.Mais on ne se sent plus en sécurité, on a l’impression d’être abandonnés ».