Travel insurance

betty

Being 70+ I am having difficulty finding worldwide travel insurance.

UK companies I have contacted will not insure overseas residents and understanding the small print of French insurance companies is not easy for me.

If this is not an infringement of the forum’s code of conduct, can anyone make any recommendations please?

I'm interested in this thread too and followed all the links. For another reputable insurer try Mondial Assistance, they have a French website (I think they are French)  and you can get a quote online. For my trip (N America) I was quoted £134 at Trailfinders, but 134€ at Mondial. No problem with either of these companies for French residents.

Sid

Hi Sweet17

Well, I recommended it in the post above, to anyone really, but you're welcome! Thanks for the proper link BTW. I've used them in the dim and distant past for holiday car recovery cover when we lived in UK and holidayed in France.

I fnd holiday insurance quite expensive, but it only takes one mishap to make the cost all worthwhile!

Sid

[quote user="betty"]

Thank you AnOther,

Looking through various companies, Trailfinders seems to be reasonable but I am yet to find out if they will insure a non UK resident.

Betty

[/quote]Yes, they will.

Another tip - if you bank with Credit Agricole then if you have their gold Carte Bancaire, travel insurance is free.  You pay what seems to be quite a lot for the card but if you take off the cost of worldwide travel insurance it works out really good value.[:)]

[quote user="hakunamatata"]I think I am correct in thinking that it is against French law for Insurance Companies to ask about or recognise existing illnesses, which is a real bonus for some elderley and people with medical problems[/quote]AFAIK, this only applies to top-up medical insurance, not travel.

I know that most of you will take out travel insurance when going on holiday but my tale might convince the unbelievers.

In Dec 1999 Di and I booked a trip to Lanzarote, not  a package just air tickets and a flat owned by a friend. Our insurance was a very cheapie with either Boots or the Post Office. A week into the holiday I had a minor back twinge whilst walking along the beach. Next morning awoke to find I was in agony if attempting other than laying still in bed. Will not bore you with all the details but I was taken into a local private hospital, welded in foetal position, where I spent 7 miserable days. As there were no scheduled flights from L to UK and the charter airline would not take an S shaped passenger on a stretcher our insurance arranged scheduled flights via Madrid. Di and my nurse flown out from UK had a seat each whereas I required 12 - even though I was in the luggage rack. The final leg of the trip from Heathrow to Ipswich (another 10 days at Heath Road) was in a private ambulance. I have no idea of the total cost of my treatment etc but I imagine it was many thousands that I might have ended up paying myself.

I know that "this could never happen to any of you" but it just might - so don't be put off buying travel insurance because it seems a bit expensive.

John

The CA’s Gold Carte Bancaire insurance sounds good but how much cover will they give? They possibly won’t cover for a serious accident in the USA for example but the cover maybe adequate for a week’s package to Spain.

I am always a bit doubtful about insurance companies when it comes to making a claim. Many years ago we missed our flight home due to my husband falling ill on the day of our return. The local doctor diagnosed food poisoning. Missing our flight plus a couple of extra nights accommodation was expensive but our claim was thrown out by our insurers because the doctor did not state that hubby was unfit for travel, pretty obvious but not in writing.

Oh well, something to remember next time.

Thank you all for your points and suggestions.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year everyone.

Betty.[kiss]

I received the renewal for our travel insurance the other day (we are UK based) and it offered 10% discount if we renewed before the renewal date.

Went on to one of the comparison sites and the company we were with was offering the same insurance at less than the price with 10% reduction - so I will take out a new policy.

Paul

• 2 years later...

I know this is an old thread but we received an email a couple of days ago

trying to sell us travel insurance from a well known English company based in

the south of France.

Hubby phoned and asked if they wanted any info re pre-existing

illnesses/conditions and was told that "No" they did not. All that happened

would be that if we were ill and it was a pre-existing we would not be

covered!! Now with the company we are with at present we can pay £10 to be

covered for things like diabetes etc. Not sure that I would want to go away

without being covered.

Suey

[quote user="pachapapa"]I have been travelling around the world for more than 50 years and have never had any travel insurance.[/quote]

Insurance,when not a legal rquirement, is only necessary for us mere mortals without sufficient resources to cover an expensive catastrophe.

John