Speed Ferries

bixy

After my first trip with Speedferries I thought some feedback might be useful for those yet to try them. I should say first of all that my normal mode of travel is with Le Shuttle, with which any comparisons will be made.

The trouble with ferries is that you can't afford to miss them and for that reason I left home at least two hours sooner than I really needed to. I arrived at Dover ridiculously earlier only to be told that the ship was running 45 minutes late - even longer to wait. I thought I would easily be the first person there. Not so - it seems that everybody else shares that worry about missing the ferry. Not a problem with the Shuttle where the next one runs only 15/30 minutes later. Dover ferry port is not the ideal location to spend a couple of hours with huge lorries roaring past all the time.

At last we boarded - a different experience! Rather cramped inside as we went round and round some very tight turns - just like a multi-storey car park. Obviously too tight for some motorists who had left evidence of hitting the walls.

Despite only the slightest swell running, the boat leapt about quite uncomfortably, making walking around difficult. For some reason the shop was closed.

Unloading at Boulogne took quite a while and Boulogne itself is not the easiest place to get out of - unlike Coquelles where you get straight on the motorway.

Waiting at Boulogne for the return trip there are even less facilities than at Dover. Luckily our departure was on time but the Captain cheerfully told us that only three engines were working so our crossing would be slower. The shop was still closed. Discharging at Calais seemed to take a very long time.

The overall impression is that the operation is a bit threadbare. It seems like it is - cheap. That really is the only good thing to say about it - £50 for a return trip is an absolute bargain. However compared to the Shuttle on the criteria of speed, comfort and covenience Speedferries come nowhere.

Having said all that I welcome their entry into the market and the effect they have had on prices generally. I hope lots of people will use them but I'm afraid I won't be one of them.

Patrick

>>I arrived at Dover ridiculously earlier only to be told that the ship was running 45 minutes late - even longer to wait. I thought I would easily be the first person there. Not so - it seems that everybody else shares that worry about missing the ferry. Not a problem with the Shuttle where the next one runs only 15/30 minutes later. <<

But don't you pay a premium for that facility ?

>>>At last we boarded - a different experience! Rather cramped inside as we went round and round some very tight turns - just like a multi-storey car park. Obviously too tight for some motorists who had left evidence of hitting the walls.<<<

I have been on other boats like that

>>Despite only the slightest swell running, the boat leapt about quite uncomfortably, making walking around difficult.<<<

Thats it - I am not going ! I am prone to 'mal de mer' and sadly it lingers even when I have disembarked.......at least with the shuttle you are not anxiously approaching the port watching how much the trees are blowing in the wind

Interesting observations - thanks !

As for paying a premium to board a later shuttle, this might depend on which ticket you have but I have never had to pay extra, or for going on an earlier shuttle for that matter. As long as there is room I don't think they're bothered.

About the movement of the boat. It occurred to me that in midwinter with a heavy swell running it would be very uncomfortable indeed. Perhaps people have had rough weather crossings - I'd be interested to hear what it was like.

Patrick

All praise to Speedferries for fighting the Pirates and their presence has certainly started a fares war this year.

I suspect that most people using Speedferries put their cheap fares as number one priority for using them and comfort comes a lot further down the list. If one suffers from 'mal de mer'  then this mode of transport should only ever be considered in very calm conditions. The shuttle totally gets round this problem, but if it is comfort you want and I enjoy that, then P&O Dover ferries will take a lot of beating in their Club lounges or Langhams Brasseries. Their modern stabilisers make for a smooth crossing in all but very adverse weather conditions.

Baz

We crossed in January.  On the way from Boulogne to Dover the sea was like a millpond.  Coming back it was a Force 9 and I was pleased to see that they were still running.  Often the Western Channel Seacats don't sail when there is the slightest swell.  Yes, it was pretty bouncy, and the crew were liberally distributing sickbags around the lounges but I didn't see (or hear!) a single person being ill.  Personally, have worked at sea for four years in a former life, the rougher the better as far as I'm concerned, so I THOROUGHLY enjoyed our return voyage.   Just shows that you can't please all of the people all of the time.  We used to use the shuttle a lot when we were to-ing and fro-ing to our house from the UK and it was indeed a very efficient and flexible form of travel.  However, certainly in the height of summer, it could be 6 or 7 times more expensive than Speedferries.  And the fact that there are now some pretty good offers on the shuttle is most certainly down to the competition from Speedferries.  So whether you use them or not, I think you still have to thank them just for being there

Just come from Boulogne to Dover with Speedferries for the first time. Loaded on time departed on time and arrived Dover on time. Smooth crossing and friendly staff.

More power to Speedferries and hopefully the other companies will come to their senses and have a realistic and checkable in advance price system

Eutotunnel shuttles seem to run far less frequently than in the past and I see the company is pressing for a relaxation of the rule that they have to run at least 1 shuttle per hour.

Tonight we got to the French terminal two hours early as we had a flexible ticket and decided to come home early. We were told that all earlier shuttles were full and we'd have to wait for our booked crossing. This when there were no queues at check in (we literally drove up to a vacant booth) and only 90 cars in the car park - yes we got so bored we counted them. They were adamant that despite the lack of crowds that the earlier crossings were full and we'd have to wait. Personally I'm coming to the conclusion that having to arrive on time for a ferry isn't such a disadvantage after all and will be trying Speed Ferries soon.

Regards

Alan.

Came back at the weekend with Spedferries - running about 45 mins late due to a ramp not working and it was a bit of a bumpy crossing.

However for a car and 2 people - £22 each way, I'll put up with both problems.

With speed ferry, remember it is only a 50 min crossing time, so if they are running 45 mins late (this has only happened once for me as normally they are well on time) you still arrive earlier than if you had taken the more expensive other crossings. I have used them many times and find it a great service at a cost, which is often half, or more lower than the other companies. I just wish they did Portsmouth to St Mao as well.

Some years ago the Tunnel started to charge a extra for their USP. They were stupid enough to charge a premium for fast loading and immediate departure. We also had two experiences of paying Rolls Royce prices and  receiving Ford Fiesta service.  Basically five hours between leaving the motorway in France and being back on the road in the UK.

P & O have progresively eroded the advantages of their Early Booker Scheme. These days we can plan our lives so that we can arrive in both Boulogne and Dover in reasonable time and if we have to wait there is always Classic FM instead of Nostalgie .  I no longer scramble out of meeting between 11 am and 3:15 pm with the vague hope of being on the ferry that evening. If we were living the life we had ten years ago I  might pay the premium for P & O . They would also probaly have installed a Gatos in the Adeplhi Car Park which is the only rat run I have ever told a London Cabbie about. 

I was going to reply to this when it was first posted but I waited to see what other people thought.

I still think the original poster has a very "snobbish" attitude.  You get what you pay for.  There won't be marble floors and old masters on the walls for fifty quid.

Saying this, I used Hovespeed as Speedferries somehow escaped my eagle eye whilst trawling the web looking for cheapo's.  Boulogne is just a bit closer to me.  I have booked Hoverspeed for later in the year though.

I also tried a search for my Dad and his camping car and Hoverspeed charged the same price as if it was a car.  Now that DID impress me.  Cheapest price though was Norfolk Line.

I worked out that from my house to Yorkshire with Hoverspeed takes about 13 hours door to door.  Eleven of these driving.

[quote]After my first trip with Speedferries I thought some feedback might be useful for those yet to try them. I should say first of all that my normal mode of travel is with Le Shuttle, with which any comp...[/quote]

You took the words out of my mouth

[quote]As for paying a premium to board a later shuttle, this might depend on which ticket you have but I have never had to pay extra, or for going on an earlier shuttle for that matter. As long as there is ...[/quote]

"About the movement of the boat. It occurred to me that in midwinter with a heavy swell running it would be very uncomfortable indeed. Perhaps people have had rough weather crossings - I'd be interested to hear what it was like."

I'm not a good sailor, or my 6yr old daughter,  so I was mortified that we were going to set sail in a gale force wind at Easter.

It was extremely rough and I couldn't even stand without falling, but I think it was because the vessel lurched from side to side, instead of from end to end like a boat, that I didn't feel sick. It wasn't until we  docked that the slight bobbing motion made me feel worse and my 6yr old daughter was actually sick as we were getting into the car! Typical!

Overall Speedferries do offer a basic service but that's expected at the ridiculously cheap prices they charge.  However I was pleasantly surprised that every employee we came across were nothing but friendly and helpful and in several situations even went out of their way to offer us advise when we weren't even asking!

I'll happily travel with them again even if their shop is shut! After all if there are plenty of refreshments on board who needs a shop for only 50 minutes? And, you can buy your newspaper or whatever when you're delayed at Dover!

Lynda

Hi

Like many others I have lots of good things to say about this company. Last trip back I was pleasantly surprised to get a free pint of Guinness as I had asked for any daily paper, they had the Mail  and Times, bit battered but still a free read (all the saleable papers had long gone) When I asked for a pint they had shut the till but as I had a bit of a banter with the girls (sick bags had come out and it was a bit rough) they gave it free. I have always found most of the staff smiling and helpful and all my trips have been OK so far.  It is a long contrast to the others to come up with a better deal for me even thought it is a 6/7 hour drive to and from the port from our house in Brittany. Just booked again for the coming weeks, as always tried various dates times etc, Condor £242, P & O £155, Brit Ferries £447 (tried Wills Tuesday times £407) but with the sailings all approx 5-8 hours I think I would rather drive then sit on a boat for that period of time, and pay well over the top. I even divert around Rouen and cut out toll charges although its only 15 mins less difference if I took the Pont De Normandy it saves me 10-15 E, Petrol is around £60 (return) The only downside is the shopping is normally a bit more expensive and I am always forgetting things, unlike doing it in Brittany at a less stressful rate bit by bit. I too long for the western route to be more inline with Speedferries but until then I just  use my best way and sod all the others.

We have always used Condor Ferries and Brittany Ferries on the longer haul crossings.  We have had in excess of force 10 on crossings on conventional ferries on some occassions. We have had many rough and I mean rough!!!! crossings with Condor and when the crossing is nearly 5 hours long you do not want to be there, believe me!!  On several of the last crossings with Condor they were late or running on reduced power due to engine problems.  We then had a puppy and Condor only take pets from Poole and those crossings go out at lunch time.  Imagine leaving a pet in the hold for nearly 5 hours. Also their crossings this year are all going to be docking at the Channel Isles so some leave at 0700 and do not dock till 2100 in France.  Both these companies prices were also very expensive this year even with frequent traveller concessions etc.

Hence we moved to Speedferries.  We have travelled with them every 6 weeks since they started and except for one occasiion when the vessel was one hour late they have been brill.  Dover can be a little hectic but facilities are good and Boulogne has a reasonable cafe to wait if needs be coming back.

We shall certainly stay with them and look forward to them, getting more routes onboard.

As far as the sea sickness a quick precautionary tablet, sit on the lower deck and do not walk about and if it happens to be choppy, no problems.......

The only two things I wonder are why is the safety announcement coming back only in French, and my son says when the anouncement runs why do they not have a diffibrulator on board the way the condor man always says????????  Kids....

Jaydeez.

all crossings with condor ferries have always gone via the channel islands. the afternoon sailings from poole dont require a change of vessel and they arrive into st malo at 1930. the weymouth service does require a change of vessel. drive off drive on in some cases and sometimes into st malo by lunch time. we've managed to get a half a day in one of the channel islands as well which is a boon. cheap petrol and all that.

i believe an additional reason why they do this, along with the channel islands service agreements, is that they can offer real duty free still as the islands arent part of the eu ruling.

in terms of delays and cancellations, or reduced power, i've only experienced this once in the time i've been a condor frequent traveller club member. the prices are the most competitive (presently me and the wife and the kids are heading over in July for £70 each with the car) on the western channel and the savings on driving time and tolls compare favourably in my opinion to that of speedferries et al on the east. i'd like to see them use their relations to try and repatriate customers should the boat get sick. i know for a fact if the weathers inclement that condor have previously called on the other western channel operators to get us home.

i also saw in the paper a few weeks ago that they've got a new online booking system arriving soon, that is a problem with them at the moment. lets hope once its live they will step up to the plate and take on the BF monopoly.

I agree with bixy!

I have tried it and admire their pluck in taking on the big boys, but personally don't think it worth saving a few pounds for the amount of hassle involved. On each time we have used it we have been shunted into tiny nooks and crannies on the vessel - so tight passengers have to get out first - and then wait until the vehicle parked beside you has gone before you can even get into yours.

Good idea but too much bother for me for a fairly small saving (in the overall cost of the break!)

Now if they took over some larger boats and improved their organisation we might be talking!

Andy

Me too - I admire what they are doing but for various reasons the service isn't for me. I appreciate that my situation is far removed from most other ferry travellers who use the forum and that Speedferries suits a lot of people. If it's right for you, then the company deserves your support.

The real reason for this post is that I saw on another forum that somebody had problems taking an LPG-fuelled car on Speedferries. It's a new company rule apparently. I don't know the exact details, or the truth of the story, but if you have such a vehicle it's something to be aware of, and check up when booking or before travelling to make sure that you comply with whatever the restrictions may be.

Just been checking prices for October half term 21-28 October.

Euro tunnel £108

P&O           £92

Seafrance   £110

Ferry sales  £78

SPEEDFERRIES  £100

Fight the pirates I think not

regards colin

P.S all dates and times matched as closely as possible

Before Speedferries we had www.ferrysale.com, which was (and still is) Hoverspeed's way of offloading surplus capacity at cheap prices - typically, a year or two ago, £19 each way Dover-Calais. It always seem a bit unfair that Speedferries gets all the credit for lowering fares, but then I suppose that it got its publicity machine right, has generally friendly and cooperative staff, and Hoverspeed, being an established operator, could be regarded as one of the 'pirates' itself.

Don't forget Norfolk Line which can usually be relied on to offer good fares at peak times, though the crossing is a bit longer.

If using the eastern channel I'd still personally pay an extra £8 or so to use Speedferries rather than P&O (or SeaFrance or Le Shuttle) on principle.