Hitch hiking

Renaud

I saw quite a bit of France when hitch-hiking as a student, through the kindness of car drivers. Likewise I later saw a bit of the USA. 

So what killed it off?  Is it that increased car ownership has meant that serial killers, perverts et al now have wheels? Or is it that people who would once have hitch hiked now have wheels themselves?

Is it a shame that hitch-hiking has died out as a method of travelling? I used to think it rather a zen way of travelling in that the hiker invited the car driver to obtain grace through a kind act. When I got my first car I used to give lifts to hitch hikers - but this was in the 70s when the world was young.

(Digression) En route to see Bob Dylan at an Isle of Wight concert I gave a lift to a couple of guys who worked for Winchester Council (they put on hippy beads at the week end). We said goodbye at the ferry. A couple of nights later at just before Dylan was due to perform, the lady I was with, wanted to move closer to the stage. As we moved forward we found the people were increasingly packed together and fifty yards from the stage I was about to give up, then we saw the hitch hikers who waved and said come and join them and they kindly made space.

Hitch-hiking our way back from Kiel to Annecy, a cheerful German man gave my friend and I a lift on the motorway. It was late on a Saturday afternoon and our hopes of finding another lift were slim.

The friendly German man started driving off but stopped almost immediately. Thinking we may have left something in the car, we walked up to it and he said that as we were unlikely to get a lift, why didn't we come with him and spend the night at his house where his wife and daughters would be happy to see us. We hardly hesitated and jumped back in the car.

When we arrived at the house, the whole family were ever so welcoming, making sure we were both comfortable, the daughters insisting on sharing a bedroom so we could sleep in a bed rather than on the sofa bed! The following morning, they had gone shopping to prepare a typical German breakfast for us and even asked us to stay on until the following morning !

We had to decline but they insisted on driving us back to the motorway to ensure we would find a lift.

I kept in touch with the family for a few years, although we never met again.

I have only ever picked up one hitch-hiker(s) and that was a young father with a small child of about 5 years old in the late 70's. I was travelling about 16 miles to the town where I lived.

The man said they where traveling to north wales and were going to catch the train at Gobowen station which was 3 miles further on to were I would drop the off.

Meanwhile on the journey the child fell asleep and when it was time to turf them out I hadn't the heart and drove the extra 3 miles to the train station.

Never picked any one else up as I would not feel safe with a stranger!!

Round us it tends to be mostly people picking up cars from being serviced. Travelling to Libourne mid morning etc. Last edition of 'Ken Walsh - Hitchhikers Guide to Europe' was I think published in 1986. Normally pick up if traveling by myself but Isabel is unhappy unless she has a good look at them first.

[quote user="gosub"]Faire l'auto stop. I got a lift in England in the late sixties in an MGB whilst we were driving the guy asked me if I was gay, my answer was that yes, I did like a bit of fun.[:$][/quote]

Ahh but was he asking because HE was gay![Www]

The only time I picked up a hitch hiker was years ago when I was working as a nanny, about 5 miles out of town. I was the only car at traffic lights on the outskirts of Reading and a middle aged guy knocked on the window and asked if I could give him a lift as he had missed the last bus. His destination was the same as mine but I was so frightened that I said I was going to a place about two miles along the route and I dropped him off there, then cut through the back doubles to get home.

The next morning I passed him coming out of his house - he was our next door neighbor [:$][:$]

Whoops !

The world is no more dangerous now than before its just more publicised, I usually always stop for autostoppers, sometimes I am not in the mood to converse or just have a "drive on" feeling but otherwise I always try to help. I have also hitch hiked myself most recently in 2004 when I backpacked around the world

I hae met some really interesting people both giving and receiving lifts.

I pick up people here. Good way to have a conversation. I haven't picked up anyone in the UK for 20 years, since I managed to load up a God Botherer who though I might be converted. Terrifying.

A couple of years ago at my home in England, someone knocked on my front door having run out of petrol. I was just about to nip into the village, so offered him a lift. When I handed him a crash helmet, his face changed, but faced with the choice of a half hour walk or two minute bike ride, he was quickly on the pillion.

Media and paranoia have killed it in the UK.

I'll do it, but would now think twice about picking up young females, or more than one young male, for obvious reasons[:(]

The last ones I picked up were a young girl and her grandfather, their car had broken down and they were trying to get to the girl's house to alert family.

HOWEVER: about fifteen years ago, some friends visited Tunisia. They went out for the day, by bus, and missed the bus home, so they hitched.

They were picked up by some VERY friendly people of both sexes, and eventually agreed to visit their house for a meal.

They awoke the next morning, miles from anywhere, minus their valuables and passports, (even their wedding rings were gone), The wife's panties were missing, and both were INTERNALLY very sore.

Beware!

Years ago, there used to always be a big line of hitchers at the start of the M1 near Staple Corner and I would invariably stop to pick up the first one/s in the queue. Didn't need to bother one Friday evening, as a coach stopped and picked up everyone !!!

Must have been over 30 hitchers

[quote user="Jacqui Too "]

[quote user="gosub"]Faire l'auto stop. I got a lift in England in the late sixties in an MGB whilst we were driving the guy asked me if I was gay, my answer was that yes, I did like a bit of fun.[:$][/quote]

Ahh but was he asking because HE was gay![Www]

[/quote]

Yes definitly, bent as a nine bob note.

[quote user="sweet 17"]I used to hitchhike and then, when I had my own car, I used to pick hitchhikers up.  Now, I'd be too scared to do either.[/quote]

Ditto

In the 1960s many young people that I knew hitch-hiked, it was the only way for penniless students to get around. [:)]

Nowadays, no I would not contemplate it, neither would I have ever advised my (grown -up ) children to do so.

I cant really be sure but based on my experiences I would say that "if" there were still hitch-hikers there would still be enough enlightened folk to give them lifts.

It is probably the would be hitch-hikers that are frightened of problems from the car driver. Its a sad world[:(]

Since moving to France I have never driven past a hitch-hiker but think that I have only given lifts four times in as many years, one guy in a pinstriped suit got in saying "common tally voo?" he turned out to be a Canadian, after a while I noticed a strong smell of wet labrador and on closer inspection of his (at close range) clearly tatty suit and unwashed skin I realised that he was sleeping rough whilst travelling. Of course it had to be a journey the length of France!

Fascinating chap though even if he was a but of a Walter Mitty.