TRAVEL INSURANCE

hakunamatata

Other half who has many health problems e.g. diabetes, heart, and my self want to return to Kenya for a holiday this year. I will be 68 he will be 71 at date of travel. We understand that he will not be given any helath cover but the travel company insists on insurance. Does anyone have any experience of companies who are willing to insure. There must be a company somewhere as there are lots of old foggies like us travelling!!! Any advice will be very welcome

I've heard of a number of people with this problem. Trailfinders is one company which will insure you from whatever country, but we found they didn't work for us. The cost was going to be enormous for not particularly serious health histories, but wasn't going to cover those problems we did have - which seemed silly!

One I've known to be useful for people from France at a reasonable cost:

http://www.insurancebookers.fr/?LANG=en&gclid=CNaJyrfFiacCFUgTfAodFU6dfA

Somebody we know flies all over the place, and never has travel insurance - his wife told us he'd never get illness cover because he had so many serious things wrong  with him! He regularly flies from their home in Australia to their other home in UK and back, and doesn't seem to mind not being insured! It's not my way though! Do let us know if you try that link to insurancebookers; they do seem to supply cover at a fair price.

Edit: maybe all those old doddery people are with Saga?!  [:)]

Unfortunately we cant insure with Saga because we live in France and dont have a UK address, they were brilliant in the uK. Most good travel companies insist that you inform them of your insurer. I have asked our tour company how we can get out of this problem. We are happy to sign a letter saying we will not hold the company responsible but will that be good enough? Does age and health problems mean we are stuck here without a holiday! Sacre Bleu!!!!

Let us begin again, H, as you have a problem following between the lines. There is a problem because insurance for travel cannot be obtained for those with age and health conditions ( age seen as a condition!), except with the addition of vast amounts of money which is completely unjustified IYHO, and thus far no one here has been able to provide the miracle answer because, lovey, there aint one because the world hates the old and the sick? Thus far you follow? Therefore, you have to lie and take a chance, or stay at home.

Which gets you on the flight! And you take a chance and call the consulate.

There must be a legal way of doing this. We accept we cannot claim for any problems relating to his pre-existing conditions but surely if he falls over and breaks a leg, or loses his luggage there should be some cover!!!!!!!!!!!! I dont read between the lines because my eyesight is not that good!!!

If you are travelling to a country that has a reciprocal emergency health agreement for visitors, then at least you have that safety net to fall back on if you require emergency health care and cannot obtain travel insurance. That is why you see Brit old foggies in countries like OZ as there is such an agreement with the UK.

I don't believe there is any agreement between Kenya and France, or the UK and therefore to travel there without health insurance would be foolhardy and risk incurring a fortune in medical and repatriation costs if a serious health problem arose.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Quote:

'Friends who are in their middle/late 70's have asked whether it is worth having travel insurance(because of the cost) when they are covered by a UK health card.Probably not.'

I am in the lower end of that age group.

My travel insurance (French) was very expensive but I had to go to hospital for a bad migraine. The bill for just an x-ray, a few drugs, hospital bed for 3 hours and talking to a doctor for a few minutes. $5,700.00. YES $5,700.00!

Where? The USA.

I think travel Ins. Is a must but I used a well known UK company on an earlier holiday (praised for cost etc on another thread) yes the price wasn’t bad but did they want to pay out for a claim, NO.